Author Topic: Oil change full 5 Qts Concours 14  (Read 41789 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Oil change full 5 Qts Concours 14
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Amount of oil depends on how much was drained, so there's NO specific amount to fill with. Get it to the top mark AFTER running the engine and letting it sit. And yes, on the centerstand; that's what it's for too (if somebody doesn't believe that, check the difference :o ). It should take anywhere from 4-1/2 to 5 qts indeed. I drain oil in my vehicles overnight, so I believe mine will take 5 too, or very close to that. But I always leave 1/2-qt out until starting the engine, so I don't accidentally overfill it... but nothing an oil extractor can't fix if that happens, so no biggie ;D . Finally, can't believe this bike takes 5 qts; that's awesome; the more the better. It's the same amount the 550HP GTR with 2 big turbos takes; unbelievable for Nissan to only allow that paltry amount. Anyway, have my first trip on Friday, and will be changing the oil for the first time over the weekend, even if I don't get to the magical 500 miles. Have a good one folks.

5 quarts totally dry.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
I drain oil in my vehicles overnight.

;)  glad to see another member who doesn't understand the concept of a 5 minute oil change- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 05:02:06 AM »
I don't care what filter you use, you overfilled the system by a pint...

man, is oil changing that difficult?????

the sightglass is checked with both tires on the ground, not on centerstand.

There's no need to even check the sightglass. Drain the oil (w/filter removed), put the plug back in along with the new filter and poor in 4.5 quarts of oil and you're done.

5 quarts is for a DRY engine. Do I have to explain dry?    ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:23:02 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 05:08:44 AM »
There's no need to even check the sightglass. Drain the oil (w/filter removed), put the plug back in along with the new filter and poor in 4.5 quarts of oil and you're done.

5 quarts is for a DRY engine. Do I have to explain dry?
No, but somebody needs the explain a sound reason to drain the oil overnight. A bit OCD?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 05:10:37 AM »
No, but somebody needs the explain a sound reason to drain the oil overnight. A bit OCD?

It's the only way to get that pesky last half teaspoon out!    ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:20 AM »

5 quarts is for a DRY engine. Do I have to explain dry?

As in Martini?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

5 quarts is for a DRY engine. Do I have to explain dry?    ;)

like I said, some people claim to be experts on stuff.... maybe if the factory service manual was available for the 2015 models they could actually read those figures, so you may need to explain it to those people...

personally, the sightglass is only there for visual verification during the periods btween oil changes, that the level is adequate....
the correct figure is in writing, and I can verify from all the oil changes I have done since 7/7/07, that the figure is correct.
to blindly dump MORE oil than that figure tells is a bit silly...less maybe, but never more.

for giggles... dry means " totally devoid of any oil, I.e. a completely rebuilt engine, or new engine, that never had oil, thus the oil cooler and oil passages are all empty.
that's where the extra pint ends up.

and oil is checked with the bike sitting on the wheels, on a level surface, and held in a vertical manner... but that's outlined in the manual also... I believe its in the owners manual also, but nobody reads those either, because they all owned soo many bikes they know more than the manual...
draining the oil on the centerstand works, as the oil pan is now sloped forward towards the drain hole....
but unless all you do is run the engine in the garage, with it on the centerstand, that sightglass reading will be showing too full when the wheels are actually on the ground. So by all means DO compare it, makes sense to me....
kinda like whining because the tire pressure sensors say you have a different amount of air than you do when checked with a gauge...

ride safe and have a nice weekend.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »
Ya' slay me Rich, ya' really does.   ;D

As to the oil, it is merely a reservoir and the upper level means little as long as it is not so overfull that the crank passes through the oil when the engine is running, and the level is not so low that there is any danger of the oil pick-up sucking any air (being uncovered even momentarily during heavy braking, acceleration).

'Course there is always the problem of the utterly, perfectly full but not overfull crankcase on a motorcycle when the front wheel lifts off the ground. One would have to think the crankcase oil level would be a bit too much at the rear (transmission, output shaft / gears) and a bit too little at the front.  ;)

Brian

like I said, some people claim to be experts on stuff.... <snipped expert stuff....>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
 :-X

I'll just sit back and watch... It's so tempting though... ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »
You guys and your quarts...lol.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
Anybody ever check to see if the gen 2 C14's drain more oil than the gen1 when during an oil change?

With the bike on the center stand, the front drain plug on the Gen 2 might let a few more tablespoons of oil out...

Not that it matters, just thinking out loud of course...

One bike has a vertical plug at the back, and the other has a horizontal plug at the front.

I've had both, but never checked.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
 >:( And what's wrong with quarts?  ;)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »
>:( And what's wrong with quarts?  ;)

Hahaha...it's one of the few units of measure you almost never hear in Canada...lol., unless someone is talking about a quart of rum or whiskey...lol.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
Well, back off to the next 'legitimate' reference- the pint. "A pint's a pound, the whole world 'round". Except in the places that have 20 ounces in a pint such as the UK et. al. And the US et. al, where it is close but not quite right either. Of course a liter of water (pure water) weighs a kilogram.... mostly, sort of, kind of, depending on temperature.

But in the end, that is why there are lines on the sight glass' of motorcycle side cases, right?  ;)

Brian

You guys and your quarts...lol.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
We buy our whiskey by the liter- usually 0.75 liter or 1.75 liter. At least Scotch Whiskey.

Brian

Hahaha...it's one of the few units of measure you almost never hear in Canada...lol., unless someone is talking about a quart of rum or whiskey...lol.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »
We buy our whiskey by the liter- usually 0.75 liter or 1.75 liter. At least Scotch Whiskey.

Brian

I am old school-----metric or not, it will always be a 40 pounder for me! :chugbeer:
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 05:27:47 PM »
Ya' slay me Rich, ya' really does.   ;D

hey, I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waitress....
 8) 8)

my purpose in life has always been to interject humor, and some learning, into everything I touch...
glad its working...

;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »
like I said, some people claim to be experts on stuff.... maybe if the factory service manual was available for the 2015 models they could actually read those figures, so you may need to explain it to those people...

personally, the sightglass is only there for visual verification during the periods btween oil changes, that the level is adequate....
the correct figure is in writing, and I can verify from all the oil changes I have done since 7/7/07, that the figure is correct.
to blindly dump MORE oil than that figure tells is a bit silly...less maybe, but never more.

for giggles... dry means " totally devoid of any oil, I.e. a completely rebuilt engine, or new engine, that never had oil, thus the oil cooler and oil passages are all empty.
that's where the extra pint ends up.

and oil is checked with the bike sitting on the wheels, on a level surface, and held in a vertical manner... but that's outlined in the manual also... I believe its in the owners manual also, but nobody reads those either, because they all owned soo many bikes they know more than the manual...
draining the oil on the centerstand works, as the oil pan is now sloped forward towards the drain hole....
but unless all you do is run the engine in the garage, with it on the centerstand, that sightglass reading will be showing too full when the wheels are actually on the ground. So by all means DO compare it, makes sense to me....
kinda like whining because the tire pressure sensors say you have a different amount of air than you do when checked with a gauge...

:goodpost: :hail: :
I'd hate it if everyone didn't read this.
 :chugbeer: :grouphug:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
Yeah- with me, it is the humor. If something amuses me, then all is well and whatever follows is a no- cost extra.

Now I have to go post in the bear spray thread..... :-)

Brian

hey, I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waitress....
 8) 8)

my purpose in life has always been to interject humor, and some learning, into everything I touch...
glad its working...

;D

elp_jc

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 12:42:53 AM »
but somebody needs the explain a sound reason to drain the oil overnight. A bit OCD?
Engine is nice and cool when I finish the job :o. Never leave oil too long that I have to extract the most old oil out of there... but it's a nice side effect ;). I only use the bike for trips, so it always sits for weeks or even months between trips. No rush to finish such a maintenance job the same day.

By the way, had to flush the final drive 3 times until all the crap came out. But it's done now, ready to roll. Just need to go for a ride to heat up the engine oil and do that next. And hopefully not have a hard time removing the factory oil filter, but I know it'll eventually succumb to my plier-type wrench.