Author Topic: Rebuild or scrap  (Read 1094 times)

Offline MarcT

Rebuild or scrap
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »
So, I have a 2011 Connie with 36500 or so miles. I just blew a head gasket (or so says the local dealer) but they haven't fully torn into the bike yet. Guestimate cost for a minor repair is 1600$/ major rebuild is costed out at 7100$. I paid 6200$ for the bike 3yrs ago. I can't replace it for the 7100$ cost, but really like the bike. Would you (any of you) spend that kind of money to repair? DM me at marcteatum@gmail.com
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:07:07 AM by MarcT »

Offline zarticus

• Arena
Re: Rebuild or scrap
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »
If it's something major I would buy a low mile used engine off ebay & spend a couple weekends swapping it out. I've see low mile engines for sale from about $700-$900
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:13:01 AM »

First time I hear of a failed head gasket.   I'd fix it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »
I can't replace it for the 7100$ cost, but really like the bike. Would you (any of you) spend that kind of money to repair? DM me at marcteatum@gmail.com

I'm going to assume that you can't, or have no interest in doing any of this work yourself. Under that assumption, I think it leaves out the buy a used motor option
as I'm sure the dealer wants a lot to install that as well. So, the first thing I'd do is get a second opinion on the engine's condition and estimate to fix it from another dealer
or even an independent shop. Second thing I'd do is double check your statement that you can't replace the bike for $7100. These bikes are not holding value and the riders
out there are aging and selling, patience is your friend. Plus you'll have spare parts for the life of whatever C14 you buy (except for gaskets of course).

To actually answer your question, no I wouldn't spend $7100 to get it repaired. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »
I think I would seriously reconsider my choice of dealer/shop if I was quoted over 7k. That's pretty much a screw you price. I would also question the diagnosis.  Just my humble opinion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
I'd have to say that everyone that has been here since the bike was introduced in '07... has never seen/heard of yet, a blown head gasket...

I strongly question a dealership that without pulling the head, says it is actually blown.

Lots of other things, loss of compression only is not a blown head gasket.. could be a needed valve adjustment, or some other issue.. that said, yeah, I'd figure about $1600 for a gasket replace, but if they start tossing out a $7k rebuild figure, RUN and get that bike out of there now.. crooks... don't let them rip you off..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jwh20

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 04:21:26 AM »
I agree with the earlier sentiment, it's unlikely to be the head gasket simply because in all my years of C14 ownership and participation in these forums, I don't recall a single case of this.

But let's assume that is the problem.  What you're looking at is tearing down the engine and replacing the head gasket.  The only part I'm not sure of is whether or not you can do that with the engine in the frame.  But let's assume worst case and you have to pull the engine.  Ok, so what do you have to lose at this point.  Tear into it and see if you can fix it.  If you find that you cannot, you can always pickup a good used engine.

But $7100? That's outrageous!!

By the way, what symptoms were you experiencing?  There may be other potential issues that are more likely and possibly less expensive to fix.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »
Just  curious as I am sure many of us are. What are the  symptoms that made  you bring your bike to dealer? Was the bike running hot or did it overheat ??  I am with the  others..highly doubtful you have a blown head gasket.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 07:24:05 PM »
so, the O/p was here yesterday.. but hasn't made a comment... hopefully he is listening to the voices of experience, and will return, and add some closure, but as we see... many times it's a one and done thing..with a post for help. Unfortunate, but we all try to help.... because it's free help, doesn't mean we are wrong..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 05:32:27 AM »
so, the O/p was here yesterday.. but hasn't made a comment...

LOL.  You realize, I was monitoring, too.  I find it distasteful to see someone join a forum, ask a question, and then say to Email the answers.  The point of a forum is to interact and share info.  Like you, and probably everyone else, I am curious about the outcome and answers to the questions posed.  Especially when it is something major posed that I have never, even seen or heard about (a Concours blowing a head gasket).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc