Author Topic: 998 Crickets  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Eseljaye

998 Crickets
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
I'm new to this particular forum and relatively new to the ZG1000

As I'm not overly familiar with how Connies are supposed to sound I wondered if the noise of 998 crickets almost chirping in unison, as I motor along is something I should be worried about.
The sound diminishes dramatically if I haul in the clutch and coast, or if I drop to below 2k rpm.
Also is 4k+rpm normal in 6th @65+mph? It sounds like its looking for another gear.
It has been suggested (elsewhere) the balance shaft maybe out of whack but I cannot get it to move -following the guide in both the Clymer and Service manuals- cold engine/idle, loosen clamp/bolt (I've even tried prying the clamp apart, carefully) but the shaft itself will not budge. There's no sign of a leak, indeed the whole bike seems to be leak free.
I hoping this does not mean I have to drop the bottom end.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: 998 Crickets
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »
These bikes can be very noisy but that is subjective. Never heard of it as cricket sounds though. Again Subjective!

Some noise can be from the loose cam chain, loose engine bolts, etc. If you can record the sound while idling before and after warm up it may be helpful. What's the mileage and history of the bike?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:41:01 AM »
As I'm not overly familiar with how Connies are supposed to sound I wondered if the noise of 998 crickets almost chirping in unison,

Balancer. For some it squeaks, other it whirrs, yet others it whines.

Engine off, loosen up pinch bolt as you did, use a big honkin screwdriver. Or with adjusting arm in the middle of its range, it's slotted where attaches to engine (not the balancer shaft), remove the 8mm hex head bolt and use the arm to 'break' the balancer shaft free.

Balancer adjustment is in the big book, basically adjust it clockwise until it makes noise, then counterclockwise till quiet ples a tad more. Screw everything down, go ride.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »
Balancer. For some it squeaks, other it whirrs, yet others it whines.

Engine off, loosen up pinch bolt as you did, use a big honkin screwdriver. Or with adjusting arm in the middle of its range, it's slotted where attaches to engine (not the balancer shaft), remove the 8mm hex head bolt and use the arm to 'break' the balancer shaft free.

Balancer adjustment is in the big book, basically adjust it clockwise until it makes noise, then counterclockwise till quiet ples a tad more. Screw everything down, go ride.

Rick

First apologies  to all for slow response, been taking care of my other job and no time to spare or simply too tired by end of day.
Aha! Will try that this weekend -supposed to rain- thanks!
Just to be sure:
Engine running/not running while attempting to "break" free? My guess would be not running until it is free and then proceed as per manuals?
For me the sound is a mix of all of the above.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:03:06 AM »
If it were me, I would fully warm up the engine and then shut it off and try to break it free.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
So, I ended up being able to adjust, after taking out the 8mm bolt holding the arm/clamp in place, motor off, moved the arm and... yea! movement. Started the motor and was able to adjust until I heard the squeal-wait that's not the same sound-arrrgggghhhhh! backed off til no more squeal shut off the motor and retightened all.
Now what.
Here's a clip https://youtu.be/Mw9o7F-oIq with a semblance of the sound I'm hearing (wait til I take the choke off). I'll try to rig another camera so sound can be heard while in motion this weekend.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »
Trying again with the video link. https://youtu.be/Mw9o7F-oIqk

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
These bikes can be very noisy but that is subjective. Never heard of it as cricket sounds though. Again Subjective!

Some noise can be from the loose cam chain, loose engine bolts, etc. If you can record the sound while idling before and after warm up it may be helpful. What's the mileage and history of the bike?

Mileage is 22,000, bike sat idle for at least three years, since I took ownership (end of last summer) brakes/carbs/fluids/tyres have all been renewed/cleaned. Previous post has link to video but here it is again. https://youtu.be/Mw9o7F-oIqk.
Thanks

Offline works4me

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
That sounds pretty normal to my ears.

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
Here's a clip from earlier today -the siren was about a mile behind and turned before getting close.
The crickets become clearer toward the end of the clip. https://youtu.be/Ogc6eigXE7k

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread but the balancer was referenced.  Can someone point the way to instructions and whatever is needed to delete the balance shaft altogether and free up that frictional loss?

Offline Stasch

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 03:02:00 AM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread but the balancer was referenced.  Can someone point the way to instructions and whatever is needed to delete the balance shaft altogether and free up that frictional loss?

The balancer shaft is a common design feature in many Kawasaki inline fours and requires engine removal and splitting cases to R&R. 

In most cases, its a no-maintenance item other than replacing the shaft seal from time to time (which is easy).

This thing was designed for a reason.  Its removal IMO it wouldn't significantly restore much if any frictional loss, and would re-introduce the vibes it was originally designed to offset with other potential unintended consequences to the engine.

The balancer shaft serves more than one purpose.  It has a gear driven by a chain off of the camshaft.  This chain also drives the alternator / generator and interfaces with the Alternator Chain Tensioner.

So it seems the shaft has to remain unless . . . and in theory . . .  you might get away with . . . .

- Removal of the balancer 'block' from the shaft (if it doesn't also serve as an integral spacer to the shaft assembly).

- Retro fitting other items to make everything else work properly off the right side of the crankshaft which would at least include a different length chain, and possible ACT chain routing / interference issues mediation.

Lotta pain for no gain.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 03:59:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/Ogc6eigXE7k
Could the sound (high pitched squeal) be the water pump getting ready to let go?
Alternator?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
I just listened to both your videos with headphones on and it sounds like a C10.
I can't hear any crickets or squeals or anything other than a normal C10.
Yes, the engine is a bit whiny and that can sound like a chirp at certain speeds.
I think it sounds like a happy cat purring away.  ;D

Could it be that all your previous bikes were unfaired?
If you are used to nekkid bikes the quiet behind the C10 fairing (and the fact that the fairing reflects engine noises back to you) makes you hear all kinds of things, especially if she still has the factory mufflers.
With time you'll learn to ignore all the noises, even the camchain rattle, or you will get louder mufflers that drown out the noises.

Then one day the camchain rattle will just stop,.... and you'll  :censored: yourself thinking that something is broken.
In fact it will just be the camchain tensioner finally ratcheting forwards one notch. :rotflmao:

Go meet up with some other local C10 riders and listen to their bikes. You'll see what I mean.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Eseljaye

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
It is true previous rides have been un-faired and nary a windshield or even a windscreen.
It appears, so far no other, local, C10ers have come forward -that I know of, but will try reaching out again, elsewhere in the forum.
Thanks for the feedback tho' Boomer.
BTW The PO bought and fitted a new air filter but I've noticed tiny fibers are flapping about in the airbox and every now and then it feels as though there is a minor loss of power. Is it possible/probable the fibers are causing this?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 03:27:39 PM »
It depends on the type of filter. The foam and oil ones filter better than the paper ones but cheap ones can disintegrate and shed fibers. However, the bottom of the airbox is pre-filter so the fibers shouldn't get through.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK