Author Topic: Gas cap maintenance  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Snype

Gas cap maintenance
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
My gas cap on my 2012 is all but frozen. My stove knob clicks when I turn it.  Suggestions to get this working again?  I used graphite once with no luck

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Gas cap maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Snype

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »
Great thread.  I kept digging because it does not really solve the problem, just kind of maintain it.  What I found was the following product.  Going to order a tube and try it.

United Erie E Z TURN Yellow-Brown Fuel Resistant Lubricant

United Erie EZ Turn Yellow-Brown Fuel Resistant Lubricant is designed for use on oil and fuel line valves. The lubricant is resistant to high temperatures and is efficient as a gasket paste and anti-seize agent. It is excellent for tapered plug valves and can be used in marine applications or aircraft engines. EZ Turn lubricant will not gum, dry out or crack and the lubricant is also resistant to high temperatures. Each shipment of United EZ Turn lubricant is independently tested for quality. Available in 5-ounce or 1-pound sizes.

Snype

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
Let us know how it works.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »

Offline Snype

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
I researched that avenue a little.  I heard that people have issues with those leaking gas or fumes. 

My little tube of grease arrives tomorrow.  I'll have at it this weekend and give you a preliminary report.  I'm planning on just doing the  lower lock; though I'd really like to clean out the entire lock.

Snype

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20069

What he said.  The materials that Kawi used on this gas cap just can't hold up to the fuel.

Offline Snype

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
Ok... I got out my seran wrap, hunted down my dremel tool, bought a crap ton of new bits, grabbed my screwdriver and began as that thread suggested.  After securing the tank with plastic wrap and a towel, I forced those little crews loose carefully.  That is when I noticed all of the little springs grinning maniacally; quietly chanting, "Free at last!!!"  I stopped to reassess my situation.

I'm not sure if this article was for the 2012 variant or not.    It seemed very clear that if I proceeded the gas cap would oblige my curiosity by exploding into a million peices.  I opted for a, possibly, less successful route. 

I carefully squeezed the grease into the lock mechanism from any angle that I thought I could grease and wiggled the key a lot.

SUCCESS!!!!  After about 1 nickel sized drop, the lock moves almost like new.  This stuff is not suppose to dissolve in gas.  It is very tacky.  Even if this only lasts a few thousand miles between reapplication, I think this is still the best solution for cost/implementation. 

I'll let you know when it starts to get crunchy again.

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm not sure if this article was for the 2012 variant or not.

They are all the same

It seemed very clear that if I proceeded the gas cap would oblige my curiosity by exploding into a million peices.

You can't say I didn't warn as such in the thread :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Snype

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Some warnings are best kept close to heart.

The grease is working fantastically.  I wish I had used it from the start.  I think all of the graphite and other crap I tried to use, screwed it up.

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:41:14 AM »
The grease is working fantastically.  I wish I had used it from the start.  I think all of the graphite and other crap I tried to use, screwed it up.

I am thinking the same thing happened to me.  BUT, I think it was still going to fail with corrosion, I just accelerated it by using graphite the first go-round.  Don't be surprised when it starts acting up again, you put in more grease, and the second time lasts half the time as the first, and then the next half that time...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:36 AM »
Mine was getting harder to open.
Currently it does not appear corroded like the one shown in this discussion...
I lubed with plain old 3 in 1 household oil.
Great improvement..
My plan is to lube it regularly as long as I can.

Expecting a eventual failure I bought a cap from Gas-Cap-Dude on Ebay.
I liked this design as it's simple and has vents built into it, and the guy was great to work with..
He went out of his way to answer everything and to find me a black cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251245016943&rmvSB=true

I have not installed it yet. My plan is to see how long the stocker works.
When/if it eventually gives me problems, I have 1 ready to install.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Snype

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Still smooth as glass.  If I leave the key in, I can push close the gas cap.  I'd recommend this over 3-in-1.

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Still smooth as glass.  If I leave the key in, I can push close the gas cap.  I'd recommend this over 3-in-1.

3 months isn't enough time to say much :)  I can get 3 months of smooth out of most anything.  But 6 to 9 months later my ":)" becomes a ":("  But let's hope that grease keeps working for ya!  I would never use 3-in-1, it has very little staying power.... (I have been using white lithium grease).

Offline Snype

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
UPDATE

10 months.  I have NOT reapplied.  This stuff is amazing.  The cap still moves like glass and can be closed (with the key inserted) by a push without even having to turn the key.  This stuff is a must in my tool kit from now on.

Snype

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
Glad it is still working.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 02:04:02 AM »
UPDATE

10 months.  I have NOT reapplied.  This stuff is amazing.  The cap still moves like glass and can be closed (with the key inserted) by a push without even having to turn the key.  This stuff is a must in my tool kit from now on.

Snype

Where did you order it from?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
don't know, as he never said...
nimble fingers show this..

https://tinyurl.com/yczvbuol

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
don't know, as he never said...  nimble fingers show this..  https://tinyurl.com/yczvbuol

Yep, already saw that, myself.  $10 and another $10 in shipping.  A bit expensive due to shipping, and more risk from having to set up a transaction with an unknown, one-off vendor.

A sample size of one success doesn't necessarily mean it is any better than any other lubricant, however.  There are other people on the list that never have corrosion... or that have only some corrosion and use white lithium like I did and yet have no recurring problems for years and years (unlike me).  So there are likely other factors, like how bad it was before it was first cleaned and lubed, the model year, the base cause of the corrosion varies wildly from part to part or area to area, etc.

Still, a "fuel resistant" lube sounds like a good idea.  If it were on Amazon for $10 and free shipping, it would have already been in my cart :)  Funny how "value" works from person to person.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:59:22 PM by maxtog »