Author Topic: Need help: Transmission problem  (Read 820 times)

Offline Decathlon

Need help: Transmission problem
« on: August 16, 2020, 04:29:19 AM »
Hello to everyone! Im new to the forum and I have a very strange problem with my bike. I looked everywhere and didnt find a person that had similar issue.
While Im riding my bike and pull the throttle, there is a kick like something is hitting my rear wheel. Same happens when I release the throttle. Yesterday I decided to dissasemble the whole thing and try to inspect the drive shaft. Everything was fine by my opinion, but found something strange with the front diff. I made a video so I can show you what it is doing. Please if anyone knows something, comment below.  Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/4n5KZ8fSmXs

Thanks!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Need help: Transmission problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 06:53:35 AM »
I would have thought cush drive but after seeing the vid I'm not so sure.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
That's the front bevel drive.  Does that gear rotate fully when in neutral?  Does the noise stop if it's rotated in just the one direction?  Is there a rattle from the transmission with the engine running in neutral?

I know that drive yoke & spring arrangement will cause a clunk but it doesn't seems to be coming from there - rather the clunk of gear teeth further along that shaft within the gear box.  It may be a broken gear tooth.  Is there a rattle from the transmission with the engine running in neutral? 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:48:51 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 02:58:37 AM »
Mine did the same at about 50k miles.
I replaced the bearing in the front bevel box (92045-0063BEARING-BALL,6305-13) as it was allowing end float which led to a clunk very similar to yours.
I first noticed the clunk when pushing the bike backwards and finally localised it to that bearing.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Decathlon

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
That's the front bevel drive.  Does that gear rotate fully when in neutral?  Does the noise stop if it's rotated in just the one direction?  Is there a rattle from the transmission with the engine running in neutral?

I know that drive yoke & spring arrangement will cause a clunk but it doesn't seems to be coming from there - rather the clunk of gear teeth further along that shaft within the gear box.  It may be a broken gear tooth.  Is there a rattle from the transmission with the engine running in neutral?

No rattle, no strange noise when in neutral. It dont look like a broken tooth to me. When I pull the throttle there is a clunk and kick from the drive train. Releasing the throttle does the same. Otherwise the bike runs fine, there are no vibration during the ride, no strange noises. There is a mistery with that drive train. The garage where I went looked at the bike and scratched their head, sayng that they have never seen something similar😓

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 05:52:47 AM »
No rattle, no strange noise when in neutral.  That rules out a broken tooth I'd say (which I had on my bike when I got it cheap a few years ago).

Follow up on Boomer's line. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?