Author Topic: Small coolant leak  (Read 931 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Small coolant leak
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
Things still going OK after all the major maintenance I performed in November, except I seem to have developed a small, intermittent coolant leak.  The way it manifests is bizarre, though.  First, never saw anything until weeks AFTER all the work.  It seems to appear days AFTER the bike has been sitting cold.  The source seems to be on the right side from near the pointed part of the front fairing (behind the front tire).  So it is probably dripping from one of the three right-side connections to the radiator to the inside of the fairing, then travel down.  And it isn't consistent.  I haven't removed any fairings, and can't really tell the level of the overflow bottle (what a useless "window").  Looking around with a flashlight, I just don't see anything.  I can never catch ANYTHING being wet inside- I can check a few hours after a ride, nothing.  I check several hours, nothing.  But days later, there is evidence but the fairings and stuff are dry.  Sometimes it is just 1cc or less, other times several cc.

Frustrating.  Anyone see something like this before?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Small coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:36:38 AM »
You'll need to take the plastic off and see where it's coming from.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline strum

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
You answered your own question.
So it is probably dripping from one of the three right-side connections to the radiator to the inside of the fairing, then travel down.

I know it sucks  but youll never know till the Tupperware comes off.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
Ug.

I guess I will wait for warmer weather and if it is still dripping, I will take stuff off and look more carefully.  But I can see most of each of those connections through the fairing and I never see any signs of wetness.  If it isn't actively leaking, I am not sure how I will find it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
Max, in the trucking world we have "cold water leaks". The colder the weather the more these show up, metal parts shrink a little more and the drips start. You'll have to remove the Tupperware just before a really cold snap, then spend some time inspecting in that really cold weather to pinpoint it.
IBA #18591

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
I had a coolant leak so small, that I could only smell the coolant during warmer days after being stopped in traffic or just after parking the bike.  I eventually found it when I had the Tupperware removed.  It was on the left side connected to what I think is the water pump.  It was obvious because there was telltale coolant residue at the connection.  Look for that as well. 

Ray
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.