Author Topic: Do you have bad knees?  (Read 4807 times)

YoDoc

Do you have bad knees?
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
Do you think that, given the awful state of my knees, it would be smarter to do the KneeSavers or the highway pegs first? How do the peg positions compare between the dedicated highway pegs on here, and pegs clamped to tip-over bars?

Also, 90% of my riding is in town/commuting.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Do you have bad knees?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »
You've already anwsered your own question.... "90% of my riding is in town/commuting"

Do the KneeSavers first as that is where your feet are going to be for the longest time. When SISF devloped the KneeSavers that is what he had in mind easing knee stress by making the bend more comfy for the older battle damaged rider.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

YoDoc

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »
Sounds good!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
Agreed.  KneeSavers as #1. 

And, if you already have the tip-over bars, a cheap set of clamp-on highway pegs can usually be found for $20.  I find that the clamp-ons work OK for me, though I'd like them a little further away.  I can put my feet on them "normally", or straighten my legs all the way out and they support my leg about 1/3 of the way up my calf.  When I have the extra $$, I'll get a set with an offset clamp so my legs will be straighter with my feet in a "normal" position.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
My knees have given me problems and I found that a bit of light bicycling limbers them up. Starting this past winter, I even 'bicycle' a bit in the basement on a rudimentary ($25 used) exercise bike, 5 minutes morning and evening.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
Kneesavers are AWESOME.   But the highway pegs are real nice too.  Do both!

YoDoc

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
My knees have given me problems and I found that a bit of light bicycling limbers them up. Starting this past winter, I even 'bicycle' a bit in the basement on a rudimentary ($25 used) exercise bike, 5 minutes morning and evening.

I used to bicycle a lot! The problem(s) with my knees, specifically my left knee, is when I'm unable to move it. It doesn't seem to matter how far I run, jump, bike, or skip for that matter, but if I don't move it around every 10-20 minutes, it will swell and start to collapse when I put weight on it. :P

It was bad enough after four years in the 82nd (two tours in Iraq) but then, LESS THAN A YEAR after I got out of the Army, I had to go and put my Harley into a wall at 60 mph on I30 in Downtown Dallas... Hasn't been the same since.... LOL.

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
If you live in Texas an advantage to the forward pegs is fresh air coming into the drivers area. The air hits your legs and makes a great flow of cooler air flow into that area. Just retuned from a 2000 mile trip with over 100 degree temps the pegs helped a lot.

YoDoc

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I DO live in Texas. I just happen to live right in the Mid-Cities, which are a collection of god-awful towns and cities stuck right in the middle between Dallas and Fort Worth.

I used to live in rural Indiana. My mom still lives there. It takes her 45 minutes to get to Wal-Mart, and she likes it that way.

Where I am now, it takes me an hour just to get out of town, and I dislike it greatly... blech.

Offline Feo

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »

I had to go and put my Harley into a wall at 60 mph on I30 in Downtown Dallas...

I never got THAT mad at my Harleys.

:)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »
As Tee mentioned, I developed the kneesavers because, well, I have a bad knee  :o I also have tipover bar pegs, but very rarely use them, and when I do it's only for a couple minutes at a time. Think about it - when you're riding, your feet need to be near the controls. With the kneesavers, I don't have the issues that make me need the highway pegs much anyway - the knee issue is greatly relieved, and so I can ride for hours with no problems. Guys with Hip issues like the kneesavers also. See Murph's, he carries them - Steve

YoDoc

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to give the Kneesavers a try. First, I need to sell the latest un-needed farkle that came on the bike to scratch up some of the cash... LOL

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to give the Kneesavers a try. First, I need to sell the latest un-needed farkle that came on the bike to scratch up some of the cash... LOL
I'm listening...what ya trying to get rid of?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

YoDoc

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
c10 risers

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
If you're serious, I need some risers, that is, unless Snarf wants 'em.
"Always take the long way home."

YoDoc

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
I am serious. I was having problems with my hands hurting. I just "felt", somehow, that the grips were too close to me. I took the risers off, noticed the bolts were nasty, and ordered a KB service kit from Murph. I then took the risers off, to see if that made a difference, and it fricken cured my problems! No hand pain! Not even from 600 miles in 36 hours! So... as soon as my "stock" bolts come in from the website I ordered them from, I will clean and package the risers and sell them off. I'm currently using the bolts, even though they are too long. The bolts are the only thing I've used out of the KB Service pack. The covers and set screws are brand new.