Author Topic: Recommendations for a tool kit....  (Read 5926 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Recommendations for a tool kit....
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
I want to get make up a reasonable tool kit for my Connie to have wit my ALL the time.  So I'm looking a recommendations.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
Re: Recommendations for a tool kit....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
If you don't have a spark plug wrench, they can be particular for the C-10.  I bought three before I looked up in the forums that the Craftsman 6-sided thin-walled deep 18mm socket is what's required.  The stock toolkit also comes with a workable plug wrench.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:37:53 PM by norcalbarney »

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
If you want to be able to remove both wheels then you need a 27mm socket (1 1/8" will also fit) and 1/2 drive ratchet for the rear. As for the front you need a 12mm hex which can be used with the ratchet also. You would also need various metric sockets and wrenchs (10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm)  Being able to remove the wheels adds a lot of tool weight. You can also carry a credit card as others do. Mark

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
I'm one of the few people that actually carries jumper cables on my bike (in the trunk).  Mostly, other people end up borrowing them, but I like being prepared...

I found a pretty cool small tool kit at Home Depot, which I stick in with a few other tools in an emergency kit I found at walmart (JustinCase, had the jumper cables, can of fix a flat, flashlight, zip ties, cloth gloves, couple of gauzes/band aids, and some other stuff).  I also added a 3/8" longer ratchet, a long flat head screwdriver, a pair of needle nose vise grips (these come in handy if you mostly break off a cluth lever like I did earlier this year), tiny can of WD-40, a spare headlight bulb, a couple of larger sockets (still need to get the one for the wheels though), and I just happened to have a spark plug socket that works well with Connie plugs (although I still have the OEM socket under the seat).  I also have a few box/open end metric wrenches (and an extra, longer 10mm for the valves).  It's a tight fit, but everything fits in the Justin Case.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202342064&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202342064&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-25-_-202342064&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=4403

The small tool kit has SAE and Metric sockets.  I considered just packing the metrics, but figured ya never know when a Harley guy might need assistance...  It is similar to the one below (stubby ratchet and screwdriver), but has more sockets.  I use the #3 bit a lot to remove the fairings and such.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/husky-40pc-mini-stubby-set

Also, the Justin Case has a fold out pocket that I put a partially used roll of gaff tape, brake fluid, homemade funnel (sits on top of the brake fluid bottle/gaff tape), glass cleaner, and a larger bottle of water (for me or the bike).  I also have a small compressor (with tire plugs) in a separate case, as well as a small first aid kit.  Plus, I have a small electrical butt connector kit (crimp tool plus assortment of connectors) inside the Justin Case.  I also carry a short length of electrical wire and 12" of 1/4"(?) plastic tubing for brake bleeding and float bowl draining.  I also have a regular pair of needlenose pliers.  I also have a very nice assortment of Allen  Wrenches wedged next to my Justin Case.  I also have a Seafoam can that I have some Rotella T Synthetic in (I taped the can up and wrote 5w40 Oil with a silver sharpie).  Needless to say, with the bungees, terry cloths and cargo straps I also carry, my trunk is quite full...

The Justin Case will fit into a sidebag with room to spare.  Possibly with the fold out pocket open.  But since I leave the trunk on the bike all the time, I put the kit in the trunk.

Finally, I have a 130mm x 8(?) mm bolt to use as an emergency peg should I break a footpeg (which I am currently using as my footpeg).

While you don't need to go to this extreme,  I'd at least very much recommend the needlenose vise grips (which were recommended to me here, which is why I bought them) as part of your tool collection.  Also, a small assortment of butt connectors and a short length of wire won't take too much space, should you ever need them (you can always use regular pliers to crimp the connectors in a pinch).  Plus a fuse assortment of course.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:01:13 PM by Two Skies »
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline troyt

• RacingOnTheCheap
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »
Wow, I wanna ride with Two Skies, he's ready for everything! Is there a gasmask in that kit too?  :)
'00 Connie, '06 Tuono
www.RacingOnTheCheap.com

Offline syntor

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »
Carry the factory toolkit, mainly because of the plug spanner, and the kit shown here as well, which allows me to pretty much do anything by the side of the road which can realistically be done by the side of the road.
Oh, and a puncture kit too, with CO2. And a hammer too if there is room.

Bent 5/8 ringy for getting Murphs bars off. Cross drilled 27mm socket for the back wheel, just poke a screwdriver through it. Normal spanners & 3/8 long series sockets, 12mm allen key, screwdrivers, pliers, little multimeter, plus other sundries.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:08:56 AM »
WOW !!! Cheers people you all gave me some good ideas  ;D

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
A tiny multimeter would be nice... I really need to go through what I have and round out my socket collection and such (so I have all the necessary Connie sizes).  Been looking for that allen/tire socket off and on, I probably should make it my mission in life to get that soon.

I of course also have a small crescent wrench in the trunk (forgot about that until I saw syntor's pic).

I ride with a group of guys a lot, so it's good to have a fair assortment of stuff for the group.  Besides, they ride Sport bikes, so they don't have much room for stuff...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.