Author Topic: First cross country looming  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Ranger

First cross country looming
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
I am getting stoked. Myself on my 02 Connie and another on an 04 are getting geared up for our very first cross country excursion. Departure time is this coming Tuesday the 31st leaving from Seattle. Our first main destination is Denver area to drop in on family. Gonna mostly just slab it down to there with a few sidetracks. Then on the return we will plan something a little more off the main slabs. Two options that will depend on the weather when we leave Denver. One will be to head north towards Yellowstone and then northwest into Idaho eventually back to WA. Option 2 will be to head southwest out of Denver across Rockies into Utah and canyon country then Vegas and on into CA to head back north. Right now the forecast for the coming week looks like our timing is very good. A little crummy right now but much improving by next Tuesday and beyond. Have done just about everything I can think of to prepare my Connie and myself for the first trip. Last summer we did a trip like this and I was mounted on a naked 1974 BMW R90/6, and my riding partner was on a KLR.  :o Curious to see the difference in our comfort level etc. We will take the usual assortment of pics and video and will give a trip report when back. Maybe I'll see some of you Coggers out there and............... :chugbeer:
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline Dan

Re: First cross country looming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »
We maybe in that area, by then, we are headed to boulder and then yellowstone...

I will stay in touch, we have never hit yellowstone to the west coast....

and then we are going down to SD.?

ANy pointers/tips?

Offline Ranger

Re: First cross country looming
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »
Leaving Yellowstone, if you want to really enjoy your ride stay off the interstate freeways as much as possible. If you stick to the 2 lane highways thru Montana and Idaho and Washington you can't go wrong. There are too many great routes to list. That pretty much goes for the entire western states. If your going thru Idaho westward try and hit Highway 12 over Lolo pass which takes you from Montana into Idaho. The best, especially the Idaho side.
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)