Author Topic: Thinking about getting tip over protection-MCE or Bygdawg?  (Read 15646 times)

Offline Riverdawg

• Guten Tag... Again
Thinking about getting tip over protection-MCE or Bygdawg?
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Can I get some owner feedback on these two companies and their bars? Bought MCE, comments posted further down
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:56:04 PM by Riverdawg »

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Thinking about getting tip over protection-MCE or Bygdawg?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
MCE canyon cages are the ticket.....

I just looked at the Bygdawg site. Those are MCE bars. They must be a distributor.

Don't get those elephant ear lookin things though. Go with the cages, and mount some highway pegs on'm.  :thumbs:

They come in handy when you get a flat that can't be plugged.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
I know BygDawg... Jay makes his own stuff.  He has been making those bars for the ST1300 for a long time now.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
I know BygDawg... Jay makes his own stuff.

Then please tell him to correct his website where he has "Concourse" all over it.  Of course, there is no "course" in Concours!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
I have the regular MCE bathroom bars and when I had my deer strike the left bar took the brunt of the force. I am certain it saved my leg a load of pain!
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
Then please tell him to correct his website where he has "Concourse" all over it.  Of course, there is no "course" in Concours!

Since he owns and rides a C14, I'm sure he knows that already.
Rob

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »
I've had both the MCE bathroom bars and now the Canyon Cage. No experience with bygdawg. But hated the bathroom bars and LOVE the canyon cages. Looks MUCH better and really like having highway pegs.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
I love my bathroom bars.  Space to mount lights nice and wide,  and they will hold the bike strong in a tip over preventin gany possible mirror damage.  My goal was MAX protection and I got it! 

Also is nice to rest my foot on the bars durring long hauls on the road, And I mounted a maglight holder so I have light and a "big ass flashlight" just in case.   

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Canyon Cages!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
The website I saw said that the "solid" bars for the Concours(e) are coming soon. It said the same thing two years ago when I was doing pre-farkle research pre-c14 purchase.

I know BygDawg... Jay makes his own stuff.  He has been making those bars for the ST1300 for a long time now.

Hmmmm..
I just checked his profile here and it said that he'd never been active.
Maybe he just hasn't been active since the big data loss. sherob, maybe you should give your buddy Jay a call and tell him to check in here and give us the low down on what's what. I like MCE, but fair is fair, if Jay has a different (better?) product, we would love to hear about it.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
I pinged him just now... hopefully he'll drop by soon....  ;)
Rob

Offline bygdawg

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I don't frequent this site all that much. I do offer the front and rears as a package. Price is $700 shipped. You can get most all of the information here: www.bygdawg.com  Also, you can email me from my webpage. Thanks for looking.

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
Hey guys. I just wanted to poke my head in and say hey. I still stop by quite often so if any of you guys have questions regarding our Concours guards (the law enforcement version or the Canyon Cage) don't hesitate to ask me here, call me at the office, or drop me an email!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline FireIdiot

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
I have the bigger set of MCE bars. On Sunday I tested them. While making a U-Turn with the wife on the back she leaned while we were turning and over we went. I couldn't have been doing more than 5MPH, but they completly saved the bike. There are 2 quarter sized marks on the bars. I had just said 2 days before that I was going to remove them. I am not a fan of the looks, but they have completely saved the plastic. Best money I ever spent.

Oh and BTW, they are staying on the bike since they just paid for themselves.
1999 Yamaha Zuma 50 (Camping Scooter)
2010 C14 ABS Blue
Member Red Knights - IL Chapter 21

Offline FireIdiot

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
I've had both the MCE bathroom bars and now the Canyon Cage. No experience with bygdawg. But hated the bathroom bars and LOVE the canyon cages. Looks MUCH better and really like having highway pegs.

Do the Canyon Cages use the same mounting loaction that the big bars did on the engine mount? Also, do the Canyon Cages offer as much fall over protection as the bigger ones?
1999 Yamaha Zuma 50 (Camping Scooter)
2010 C14 ABS Blue
Member Red Knights - IL Chapter 21

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:14 AM »
Do the Canyon Cages use the same mounting loaction that the big bars did on the engine mount?

They share two attachment points, but add another

Also, do the Canyon Cages offer as much fall over protection as the bigger ones?

No they don't.  At low speed, like your fallover, it is probably similar.  But as fall-over speed increases, the changes it will roll over the cage and smash the mirrors increases.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
They share two attachment points, but add another

No they don't.  At low speed, like your fallover, it is probably similar.  But as fall-over speed increases, the changes it will roll over the cage and smash the mirrors increases.

Both of these points are correct. At no-to-low speeds, the Canyon Cages protect the bike the same way the Law Enforcement guards do. The only time there's a difference is higher speed wrecks, generally when another vehicle/animal/etc. is involved where there's enough force for the bike to rock over the initial hit point which is rather difficult to do (however it is possible).
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I don't frequent this site all that much. I do offer the front and rears as a package. Price is $700 shipped. You can get most all of the information here: www.bygdawg.com  Also, you can email me from my webpage. Thanks for looking.

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

I'd offer the friendly suggestion to update your website, in that case.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
Ryan, correct me if I am wrong, but the only two sets I've seen delivered in "raw" were Necron and mine. For those who have forgotten, we had ours powder coated to match the Neptune Blue and they turned out flawlessly! It is a great look and several folks have commented that they look OEM. I think the Reds (9 and 12) and the 13 blue would also look great color matched.

A friend of mine is a powder coater and did these for $90 a set (front and rear), but I bet this could be done by others for a similar price.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
Mine are raw and as of yet unmounted.  Been too busy with other projects.  Once things calm down I'll be doing my own prep and paint, I'm wanting to color match and knowing once I have these on they will be seeing some actual use I want something easy to touch up.  I may even just keep them in the raw.