Author Topic: A very, very heavy heart  (Read 4992 times)

Offline O.C.

A very, very heavy heart
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
There's no alternative for me but to change my beautiful GTR 1400 (Connie) for a lighter bike

This is my fourth GTR and as it is the latest model I can say that it is, in my opinion, the best one yet.... by a long way, so this decision is a painful one.

This decision has been taken because of health issues which have returned, only this time they are more severe and much more painful.

To say I'm gutted would be a massive understatement, but my head has to rule my heart on this occasion and a lighter more manageable bike is essential  :(

But all is not lost as I have chosen a Kawasaki Versys 1000 GT, having owned on before in 2012 I know that it is an outstanding bike and will serve my needs very well

I hope to continue visiting this excellent forum and wish everyone all the best...........ride safe my friends   :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: A very, very heavy heart
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
Best of luck on the health issues. The Versys seems to be the choice of many who opt for a lighter bike. Don't be a stranger and you know the old saying.... pics or it didn't happen....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Good luck with this and the new bike!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:46 AM »
Whatcha selling/trading-in the C14 for?

"How much for the little girl? How much for the women?.....Sell me your children"  :-)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune O.C. Hope you get well soon.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
Best 0f luck with the new steed. If you get feeling better, they will still be out there if you need one. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
Rog, at least you're still going to be riding.  Sometimes it's an effort to go out on my bike, but once on the road, it's a beautiful thing.   This is my last bike.  I won't be getting another.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks Jim, I agree, I've had health issues in the past, but......this time it's more long term I'm afraid

I currently need a stick to get around on and riding a bike the size of my GTR really isn't a safe or sensible option

One things for sure....I wont quit  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:01 AM »
 :thumbs: :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
...I currently need a stick to get around on and riding a bike the size of my GTR really isn't a safe or sensible option...

One of my riding buddies has a home-fabricated "holder" on the back of his Bandit 1200 to carry his stick. Uses one of these to hold it : (vertically)

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Fish-Megablock-Pump-Holder/dp/B001F307JK

He may have modified the velcro a bit, but it looks just like this :

with a little cup thing on the bottom.  Just drop the cane in the cup, and slap the velcro aroung the shaft near the top.  He has hard pannier bags, so the cup is attached to the back-bottom of the bag, and the little strap thing (link above) is on the frame tube that holds the rack behind his passenger seat. Easy on/off...

He's a little slower getting on and off his bike than he used to be, but says the bike's plenty light enough for him to handle at a stop.

The Versys 1000 would be similar weight, if a bit taller...  It weighs a bit under 500 lbs, and the Versys specs out at 539 lbs - both much lighter than the 670 lb C14...

Hope whatever you end up with works out for you. Glad to hear you're still gonna be riding...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
OC, sorry about your health problems. I agree with you: the only thing I would replace my GTR with is a Versys 1000. Great bike and it only lacks in the raw power department, but it has more than adequate grunt, even 2 up.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »
Ok, I chose to spend twice the money and switch to the BMW 1200GS instead of the Versys, but it's about the same size.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
One of my riding buddies has a home-fabricated "holder" on the back of his Bandit 1200 to carry his stick. Uses one of these to hold it : (vertically)

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Fish-Megablock-Pump-Holder/dp/B001F307JK

He may have modified the velcro a bit, but it looks just like this :

with a little cup thing on the bottom.  Just drop the cane in the cup, and slap the velcro aroung the shaft near the top.  He has hard pannier bags, so the cup is attached to the back-bottom of the bag, and the little strap thing (link above) is on the frame tube that holds the rack behind his passenger seat. Easy on/off...

He's a little slower getting on and off his bike than he used to be, but says the bike's plenty light enough for him to handle at a stop.

The Versys 1000 would be similar weight, if a bit taller...  It weighs a bit under 500 lbs, and the Versys specs out at 539 lbs - both much lighter than the 670 lb C14...

Hope whatever you end up with works out for you. Glad to hear you're still gonna be riding...

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

The problem isn't really about carrying a stick for support whilst I'm walking, its about the confidence I have in my old legs in supporting a bike the size of the C14, especially when its loaded with pillion and luggage

Even shifting it around my Rev Shed has become a worrying consideration  :) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
I recently went for a lighter bike as well with a 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S. Similar grunt of the C14 but 200 lbs lighter. But I am going to miss the C14 (if I ever sell it) and its guided missile feel on the open road.

The other great thing the C14 has going for it is this forum! The Multistrada forums have a fraction of the activity and information this  and the COG forum have.

Stick around OC, come for the bike but stay for inmates!  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 02:28:55 PM »

Thanks Jamie,

The problem isn't really about carrying a stick for support whilst I'm walking, its about the confidence I have in my old legs in supporting a bike the size of the C14, especially when its loaded with pillion and luggage

Even shifting it around my Rev Shed has become a worrying consideration  :) 

Well, as long as you don't tilt it right or left and don't move forward or backward whilst it's still, you should be fine..  The secret is to keep it moving.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 04:19:10 AM »
Well, as long as you don't tilt it right or left and don't move forward or backward whilst it's still, you should be fine..  The secret is to keep it moving.

Are we still talking about the C14 Jim    :o   :rotflmao: 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 04:28:50 AM »
 ;D