Author Topic: Adventure bike for the short inseam?  (Read 8409 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Adventure bike for the short inseam?
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »
I have a friend that wants to dump his Harley and really is infatuated with the adventure bikes. Problem is that he's 5'-4" tall and has a 28" inseam (I think that's a generous inseam assessment). Anyone have suggestions?

He likes the look and the idea of the Concours, but he's worried about the same issue: short inseam with a heavy bike. What's been the best way to make a Concours "short inseam compatible"?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

Re: Adventure bike for the short inseam?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
I'm 5'5" w/30" inseam and I'm managing my unlowered C14 just fine with the Kaw low gel seat, so far. I've only dropped it once and I wasn't even on the bike at the time.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
Good thing there isn't a line on the wall of your Kawasaki dealer that says "you must be this tall to ride a C-14".  ;D

But seriously, that is a problem with a lot of bikes- the saddle height is pretty high. The dual sport bikes get even worse but at least they are light and the saddles are narrow; the sport tourers tend to be heavy and top- heavy at that.

There are threads about this issue- a search would probably dig most of them up. In general, it seems that a short seat (a bare Corbin is pretty low), thick shoe / boot soles and lowering the bike are the most direct way to address a leg- reach situation.

Brian

I'm 5'5" w/30" inseam and I'm managing my unlowered C14 just fine with the Kaw low gel seat, so far. I've only dropped it once and I wasn't even on the bike at the time.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
Jay is one of those sawed off guys with a short inseam and he rode his bike for years before he lowered it.

KTM was letting anybody and everybody ride the new Adventurer at my local Stealership. So of course, I ran down there and signed up to ride the R model. When we were able to go sit on the bikes, the R sat to high and I could barely touch with my tippy toes (32"inseam). I am not comfortable on a bike unless I am almost flat footed, so I went and told the instructor somebody else can have the R I will ride a smaller Adventurer model. The funny thing is the other instructor, a short little lady ran over and jumped on the R and gave me her bike. Yes, my ego took a slight hit at that moment, but I know what I am comfortable on and I did not want to be liable for a bike that I did not own. I was not overly impressed with this bike, I would not buy one.

Bottom line, it comes down to the comfort level of each rider.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
Factory lowered F700GS is the answer.  Not a slight in any way but BMW recognized the growth in female ADV Riders and came up with a solution :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Factory lowered F700GS is the answer.  Not a slight in any way but BMW recognized the growth in female ADV Riders and came up with a solution :)

I will second that suggestion.  looks like a great adventure bike for the short legged riders.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:41:01 AM »
The Concours an ADV bike?
Does your friend think adventure means past the first tavern?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Jay is one of those sawed off guys with a short inseam

:-[

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
We went on a group ride to the Texas Hill Country a couple of weeks ago. Riding in our group: Yamaha FZ1, brand new BMW R 1200 GS, my Connie, and the short guy on the Harley. Since he rode behind me, he was impressed by my bike, but still has ADV on the brain. I was just looking for options.

He has just returned from a two+ week ride from Texas to Wisconsin to North Carolina and back on the Harley. Said he saw many places where he would have like to have gone a little bit off road, but wouldn't do it on the Harley. Plus, said that the Dragon wasn't fun on the Hog, so was looking for something more "all-around".
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
Not the TOD, but better!!  Show him this pic to show the GSs are quite street capable, even with 125 pounds of gear on the back ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

^^^^^^^Thats hardly-ableson adventure.

My C14 does some real ADV  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
But if a C14 won't suffice, perhaps one of these  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
Well...,  I'm 6 feet tall, but built funny - I have a 28" inseam...  I just put Muzzys lowering links, and Handlebar risers (so you can lower the front as well) and after softening up the rear suspension a bit, I can now flatfoot it when stopped.  I suspect that as my confidence grows, I may have to stiffen up the back shock, but drive fairly conservatively right now, so it's not an issue.

Rode tall dirt-bikes and street legal enduros for years, but the weight difference makes them easy despite the high centre of gravity, even on one foot.   Was really nervous on the C14, but much more confident now that I have a more stable stance...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Ant

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
Have you tried a lower seat too ? I got a lowered one which was a little narrower too and made a huge difference without altering anything else.......
I used to be indecisive, but now i'm not so sure !

Offline Ant

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
^^^^^^^Thats hardly-ableson adventure.

My C14 does some real ADV  ;D

I think that is a fantastic picture !
I used to be indecisive, but now i'm not so sure !

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
I think that is a fantastic picture !

^^^thank you sir!  That monsoon HAMMERED me shortly after that pic :)

Offline NuckaMan

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
I'm rocking a 29" inseam and own a Connie 14 and BMW GS-Adventure. I have absolutely no reservations riding any bike, no matter what the seat-height, modified or unmodified.

For my personal bikes, to make them both a little more comfortable for me, I have a Sargent Low Cut for the Connie and BMW Factory Low Seat for the BMW GSA.

The only time I'm conscience of the seat-height when parking (I need to think how I'm gonna get it out) or coming to a stop on uneven ground, especially in off-road situations.

There is no need to completely flat-foot nor have both feet on the ground when at a stop. IMO....the comfort comes from experience, dirt-bike/road-racing background and in all honestly, dropping a bike or two in my lifetime, every single time was a learning experience.

To answer the OP's question, if he want a ADV bike, Connie certainly is not it. Take a look at the Triumph Tiger 800. They offer a factory low-seat that makes it pretty low and narrow. It's a really fantastic bike too. Also, another advice, don't lower the bike via suspension....and if he really really has to, have it done properly so the geometry doesn't get hoses in the process, and the ride quality.