Author Topic: OK...It's another tire thread...kinda'  (Read 7404 times)

Offline amigoride

OK...It's another tire thread...kinda'
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
Just got back from a 2985 mile tour through Idaho, Montana & Wyoming. Some wonderful roads to ride "spirited". They went and wore my Bridgestone BT45 rear down into the wear bars. Not complaining ... I got just over 7,000 miles out of a $131.00 investment.
I need new tires right away.. Has anyone found a good price recently on decent Connie sized tires? I'm inclined to order another pair of BT 45 V rated but I'd consider other options.
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: OK...It's another tire thread...kinda'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »
I'm gonna play.

Shinko 777 in rear 150/80x16

Michelin PR3(best), PR2(really, really good) 110/80zrx18 front.

I'm guessing on the rear, but should go 10-14k miles, fronts go 11-13k miles.

Very nice turn in without the twitchy feeling, smooth ride, very predictable. Bonus, the Shinko only runs about $85.

Doug Re uses the Shinko 777 for his rear tire, good enough for me.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »
 Here on roads in Michigan/ & Ohio where I ride, I'd routinely get 12-14k from the 1st couple batches of Avon Azaros.
 The last couple of Avons only returned 8-9k. >:(
 The oem Duncrap returned about 11k, a 205 Duncrap returned about the same.
 Got about 9500 from a Shinko 777 worked fine for me, although it IS a taller tire.
 I got about the same mileage from the Pirelli Sport Demon which is also another option.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
. . . I'd routinely get 12-14k from the 1st couple batches of Avon Azaros.
 The last couple of Avons only returned 8-9k. . . .
From my service records, the wonderful people at Avon reduced the initial tread depth from 5mm to the wear bars to 4mm. Perhaps to 'improve handling', perhaps to save the cost of the rubber. So now I run Michelins.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline works4me

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
I'm going to pretty much echo what Stevej said.
A radial front ( I use a BT-023 ) used with
a Shinko 777 rear is a great combination.
Results are much improved over the BT-45s
I used previously.
Handling is delightfully light and precise from
a set of tires that cost less than $200.
Bonus is I can't see any noticeable wear
in over 1500 initial miles.
In contrast, my BT-45 rear was done by 5500.

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
Just got back from a 2985 mile tour through Idaho, Montana & Wyoming. Some wonderful roads to ride "spirited". They went and wore my Bridgestone BT45 rear down into the wear bars. Not complaining ... I got just over 7,000 miles out of a $131.00 investment.
I need new tires right away.. Has anyone found a good price recently on decent Connie sized tires? I'm inclined to order another pair of BT 45 V rated but I'd consider other options.
Thanks for your feedback guys.
I have run Bridgestone BT45's on my '06 and they do everything that I need a tire to do,
but would like a little more mileage. I switched to a Bridgestone 150/80/16 Exedra Max on the rear and am very pleased. The tire looks just like the BT 45's but is a belted tire I just put on the second one. I changed the first one with some tread left because we were leaving on a trip. It had 12800 miles on it and could have gone another 1000 miles. Only problem, they don't make our size for the front but the BT 45 110/80 works well with it.

Offline amigoride

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Thanks a lot guys,
Steve, where did you find the Shinko/BT 023 combo?
Brian

Offline works4me

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
Thanks a lot guys,
Steve, where did you find the Shinko/BT 023 combo?
Brian

Currently, Chaparral seems to have the best prices,
about 197.00 for the pair, delivered.

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:57 AM »
I am having a great time with the same PR3 front, but I use the Michelin Commander II on the rear.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
I am having a great time with the same PR3 front, but I use the Michelin Commander II on the rear.
I tried that same combination and liked it very well until I tried accelerating out of a corner on a wet road. The Commander II hooked up well on the wet upright, but slipped out way too easy on a corner. Just my experiences.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
I'm on my 2nd shinko 777, I got 11k on my last one, i like this tire but the other day i found out not a good idea to gas it while turning on a wet road, I made a right turn from a stop light and midway threw i gassed it to much and did a little fishtailing but wasn't to bad, it was just enough to let me know where i stand with that tire on wet pavement.

they can be had for less than $100, here is where i buy mine
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/19716/ITEM/Shinko-777-Rear-Tire.aspx

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
Ok to run the shinko's with a radial front on an 87?  My front is about worn out but just wondering because I may leave it till next spring.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
Ok to run the shinko's with a radial front on an 87?  My front is about worn out but just wondering because I may leave it till next spring.

While not being an expert, I'd do it.
America's Seaplane City

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
I'd just like to hijack this thread for a second, and go on my annual rant.

When I put the Pilot GTs on, this was the most 'no brainer' decision I ever made r.e. tires.  Sure, it changed the handling characteristics a bit (needed more force on the left or right handlebar for sweepers and such, due to the heavier tire), these tires had grip, decreased my revs a bit (helps with the Buzz slightly), corrected my speedo, were high mileage tires (12K+ rear, 20K+ front for me), made the bike MUCH less squirrely/more stable around the draft of big rigs, and looked awesome to boot.

Sure, the sportier types among the group here like more nimble/grippier tires (usually much shorter lasting tires as a result too), which is perfectly fine, but for many of us touring types, these tires fit the Connie like a glove!

I say that all of us Pilot GT fans get together, drive down to Michelin US headquarters, and take turns beating up whichever execs are responsible for discontinuing the Pilot GT, UNTIL THEY AGREE TO PUT THEM BACK IN THE MICHELIN TIRE LINEUP! 

My second GT front is almost on it's last legs now, and I've had an AM42 Venom rear for a while now.  Not a bad tire, but not the GT...

Goldwingers loved 'em, quite a few Connie guys loved 'em, and many other biker types (with our size rims) loved 'em.  A truly great tire choice.

/rant off.  Carry on!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
I'd just like to hijack this thread for a second, and go on my annual rant.

When I put the Pilot GTs on, this was the most 'no brainer' decision I ever made r.e. tires.  Sure, it changed the handling characteristics a bit (needed more force on the left or right handlebar for sweepers and such, due to the heavier tire), these tires had grip, decreased my revs a bit (helps with the Buzz slightly), corrected my speedo, were high mileage tires (12K+ rear, 20K+ front for me), made the bike MUCH less squirrely/more stable around the draft of big rigs, and looked awesome to boot.

Sure, the sportier types among the group here like more nimble/grippier tires (usually much shorter lasting tires as a result too), which is perfectly fine, but for many of us touring types, these tires fit the Connie like a glove!

I say that all of us Pilot GT fans get together, drive down to Michelin US headquarters, and take turns beating up whichever execs are responsible for discontinuing the Pilot GT, UNTIL THEY AGREE TO PUT THEM BACK IN THE MICHELIN TIRE LINEUP! 

My second GT front is almost on it's last legs now, and I've had an AM42 Venom rear for a while now.  Not a bad tire, but not the GT...

Goldwingers loved 'em, quite a few Connie guys loved 'em, and many other biker types (with our size rims) loved 'em.  A truly great tire choice.

/rant off.  Carry on!
You just let me know when you plan on leaving.  I will glady go with you, I want my GT's back also
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
I found a GT front at a shop in Pueblo, CO that had a $50 price on it...pretty sure they still have it...(719) 545-5490...ask for Tim in the Parts dept...
'02 C-10

Offline Summit670

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »
Have them tell you the date code on the GT because it could be a few years old.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
Have them tell you the date code on the GT because it could be a few years old.

Just to make it clear...I'm not pursuing this tire...and, I wouldn't be surprised if it is four years old...I'll get the birthdate next time I'm in there...just posted about it because some previous posters mentioned how much they love their GTs... ;)
'02 C-10

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
Yeah, damn people hijacking threads...

Oh, wait, that was me!
 ;)
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.