Author Topic: Heated Glove Liners  (Read 2411 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Heated Glove Liners
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
I have put off getting any heated gear until this year.  Not saying I didn’t ride in the winter, just have not felt like I needed the heated stuff.  Well maybe getting older has me feeling different.  My ride to work is only about 30 miles and I can usually take the chill my hands end up enduring even after only that short amount of time (mostly on highway at about 80mph).  Well a couple weeks ago I said enough is enough and ordered the First Gear glove liners.  I finally hooked them up yesterday and rode with them this morning.  31 degrees and my hands were nice and toasty as if I had them next to the fireplace the entire time.  It made me also realize that the rest of my body could be just as comfortable.  I will be ordering at least a heated vest in the very near future.

Offline gnuse

Re: Heated Glove Liners
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
As a long time heated clothing enthusiast, I would ask that you identify what is getting cold while riding. I was fortunate enough to have it pointed out to me that my arms would likely be cold. Yes, they are extended and in the wind. No vest for me! I do now own a jacket that keeps my arms warm also. YMMV.

Oh, and the wind deflectors that are available from one of the members makes a big difference on the C-14 in my opinion.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
Ditto on the vest.  Get the jacket.  And FWIW, a warm neck is a wonderfull thing :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
I've been thinking about heated gear for some years now as well. What glove liners did you get? Can you use them with fairly thin outer gloves such that they are not too bulky? Good advice for jacket vs vest, thanks.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Get the jacket. 

+1

Makes for a shorter run to plug the gloves in as well.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »
Honestly other than my hands nothing else got to cold.  I think the coldest morning I have left the house was about 7 degrees and other than my hands, I was comfortable the whole way.  I just figure the vest would give my core a little boost.
I've been thinking about heated gear for some years now as well. What glove liners did you get? Can you use them with fairly thin outer gloves such that they are not too bulky? Good advice for jacket vs vest, thanks.

I got the First Gear liners.  I use them with my thick gauntlet gloves.  I am sure you could use them with just about any kind of gloves.  They are surprisingly thin.  Other than the wrist where they plug in and the heat they put out, I don't even realize they are under my gauntlets.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
Whether you get a jacket liner or vest, make sure they fit snugly.  If they are loose, they won't transfer heat as well to your body.  If you can try one on somewhere, that would be best.  The IMS is coming up soon and a few vendors will be there selling stuff (Gerbing's always is) but that is already halfway through winter.  I have a jacket liner and bought it mainly for the arm warmth.  Heated grips but not gloves (gloves on my wish list).  Just like your gloves, you will wonder why you didn't get one before.  At a minimum, it will take away some of the stress while riding in the cold for a more relaxed ride.

I commuted I-95 for years into DC with nothing but a thick jacket and ski gloves.  I never thought to buy this stuff.  Now I wonder what I was thinking back then.  I now wear the jacket liner if it is 50d or below.  It has a controller so I can determine how much I need.  The grip heaters are always there, they're great for that surprise cold temperature.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
Has anyone ever heard someone say I wish I hadn't bought heated gear?  The transformation is so remarkable it is almost unbelievable.  Why the jacket vs the vest?  The neck, pure and simple, and as stated, the short run for the gloves.  I never remember being really super cold before the heated gear but I remember many rides where I coulda been more comfortable.  I get a kick outa folks faces when it's really nasty out, the look of pure pity is priceless and makes me LOL, literaly.  Now that I have the jacket?  I don't lose any heat out the neck hole ;D
zsiska, ya convinced me to get a set of them liners, I hope I convinced ya the jacket is the way to go, you will not be sorry.