Author Topic: Got to ride and work on my old C14...  (Read 3066 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Got to ride and work on my old C14...
« on: June 30, 2021, 04:24:15 AM »
The friend that I sold it to needed a rear tire and I offered to get the wheel off the bike, tire switched, and reinstalled.  The installation went well and after I got it all together decided to take it for a ride to check it out.  The Indian has spoiled me tremendously.  The C14 is way to quiet for one thing.  Didn't like the way it shifted (still smooth as butter though).  Felt like I was sitting on a bar stool.  Had to use tip toes when stopped.  Could not flat foot unless leaned over.  I'm flat foot on the Indian.  After using floor boards for 4 years, the pegs were hurting my feet (I have Plantar Fasciitis) and at times couldn't find the shift lever.  Also the rear brake sucked unlike the Indian which is the best rear brake I've ever used.  Noticed the heat right away on my legs and I'm thinking how can big V-Twin be cooler than a water cooled 4?  Then I remembered a tip to not have the screen all the way down as it blocks cooling air coming across the fairing.   That helped and the heat became tolerable but still hotter than my 20 Roadmaster.  The RM has fairing vents that actually work and when stopped in the heat, the rear cylinder will cut out to minimize the heat output from the cat on the right side pipes when stopped.  On the positive side the engine was just as good as it was new and the power delivery can't be beat.  I did some cornering on my route that I really couldn't do with the Roadmaster. I do miss that.  You don't have to deal with a belt and it's harder to do certain things like changing out a rear tire but these days I farm that out to the dealer.

Told my friend it was done and the tire was scrubbed in.  He asked did I miss it and fortunately I said no.  I like the built in Nav and cruise control.  The styling and colour can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.  The ergos are much better suited to me now and they reminded myself of why I sold it originally.  I have installed the Indian Pathfinder headlight which illuminates corners as you lean and the new heating and cooling seat.  That cooling works very well on hot days...lol.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bagger John

Re: Got to ride and work on my old C14...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
I rode a couple of Indians at Mid Ohio Vintage Days at the 2014 event.

I'm still dealing with the sciatic nerve issues experienced during those rides. The stock seat and floorboard layout puts my knees about 2" higher than my butt - so my legs didn't support any of my weight. Couple that with a suspension which was two scant spring coil turns away from being a hard tail...you get the idea.

The transmission was kept in 3rd or 4th. Top gear - even at 55 - felt very "luggy". I imagine that the bike would behave a bit differently if rolling down smooth slab at 80MPH, but some of us enjoy backroads.

I spoke with the Indian exhibitors at one of the last Progressive IMS events at the Cleveland IX Center, where they detailed better seating and suspension options for the touring line. Would be nice if they'd stay viable in the market longer than Victory did.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Got to ride and work on my old C14...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:58:51 PM »
I can't corner like I did on the C14 with my 20 Roadmaster but it corners well enough for me.  I've got some sciatica as well.   Doesn't bother me on the RM.  I don't know how I existed without the floor boards LOL.  For me it's a perfect fit.  Would never go back to pegs again.  I don't usually hit 6th until 60+.  55 would be a bit less torque at top gear.  So far Indian appears to be doing well assuming that they can get bikes built.   They're dealing with what all the automakers are dealing with at this time....electronics shortages.  They are going to survive as far as I'm concerned although this is probably my last two wheel bike.  After this it will be a convertible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.