Author Topic: Bought a new toy  (Read 1955 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Bought a new toy
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
I went out and did the unthinkable.  I bought a Harley.  Actually this will be the third one I have owned.  The first 2 were early 70s Sportsters that I got for cheap and refurbed. 

Anyway it is an 07 Street Bob with right around 10K miles.  A few add ons (bars and pipes).  I paid $8K which seems to me to be a pretty good deal for it from what I have seen them go for.  My decision to but it comes form the fact that I have had along with the Concours and Vstrom a Vstar 1100.  I have tried and tried to enjoy it, but just can't get used to riding it.  Not sure if it is the soft tail style suspension or my feet being to far forward.  I got the chance to ride the Street Bob and loved it.  Mid mount controls that keep my feet under my body and the Dyna suspension.  So far I can ride it just as I ride my Concours.  Very light front end and easy to lean into the curves unlike the Vstar. 

I think it will be a fun bike for me.  And I know it is a Harley, but it is very simple, no frills bike. Just hop on, start it and go.  Plenty of power and very comfortable for me.  I tried several cruisers before coming to the decision I did.  Vulcans, vstars, stratoliner, roadliner, suzukis, even bigger bagger Harleys.  They all had things I did not like or that I was not comfortable with until I hopped on the Street Bob.  It just felt right from the first time my butt hit the seat.  Still no sport tourer, but I like having different options.

Offline booger

Re: Bought a new toy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:48:08 AM »
Congrats.

I had an 06 Road King a few years ago.  Out of the 27 motorcycles I have owned, it was one of the best.

Nothing wrong with Harleys.  Good, dependable motorcycles.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Re: Bought a new toy
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
Congrats.

I had an 06 Road King a few years ago.  Out of the 27 motorcycles I have owned, it was one of the best.

Nothing wrong with Harleys.  Good, dependable motorcycles.

The problem I had with the Road King was I felt like I dwarfed the bike.  I know the Bob is smaller, but the position of the seat and bars makes me feel smaller than on the King.  Also on the King I felt I was sitting on top of the bike more than in it.  Don't get me wrong, I think it is a nice bike, it just wasn't for me. As well as the Electra Glides.  Same feeling of sitting on top of the bike to me. It was hard to get my brain to tell my body to lean enough into the curves.  I just wish the Bob had the 6 gallon fuel capacity like the baggers.