Author Topic: Ohlins shock for my old school Gixxer  (Read 5519 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Ohlins shock for my old school Gixxer
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »
So how the hell did this happen, I've been trolling ebay the last week or so for an Ohlins for my Connie and today came across an Ohlins for my old school 91 Gixxer... bought it right then after looking at the pics for about 30 seconds...

I have no self control, but can't wait for it to arrive!  :-\ :o ;D 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390424833140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Am I just crazy??  ???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:13:41 PM by ZG »

Taff

Re: Ohlins shock
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
So how the hell did this happen, I've been trolling ebay the last week or so for an Ohlins for my Connie and today came across an Ohlins for my old school 91 Gixxer... bought it right then after looking at the pics for about 30 seconds...

I have no self control, but can't wait for it to arrive!  :-\ :o ;D 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390424833140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Am I just crazy??  ???

No you are not crazy at all, look at me  ;D

Reading the description it looks as though it needs a new banjo joint and a rebuild. Dave at GP suspensions would be able to service the unit?

Jon.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
No you are not crazy at all, look at me  ;D

Reading the description it looks as though it needs a new banjo joint and a rebuild. Dave at GP suspensions would be able to service the unit?

Jon.

Yep it needs a refresh Jon, but I have a guy here in Portland that does great work, so all is well. I priced this shock with Ohlins directly awhile ago and they said it was no longer available but they could build me one off old specs for $1400...  :o

Hence why I jumped at the price on this one! A refresh will only cost me a couple hundy, me happy!  :)

Taff

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

Yep it needs a refresh Jon, but I have a guy here in Portland that does great work, so all is well. I priced this shock with Ohlins directly awhile ago and they said it was no longer available but they could build me one off old specs for $1400...  :o

Hence why I jumped at the price on this one! A refresh will only cost me a couple hundy, me happy!  :)

Jay I think that is smart in that why pay $1400 for a new shock when the eBay item seems as though it has one track outing.
The shock will be good as new once serviced. Glad you were able to find such a rarity  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
Buying Ohlins is far from crazy!            
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Taff

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Buying Ohlins is far from crazy!            

+1  ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
Great find!  Hopefully you are happy with it once the rebuild is complete. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
You'll have to let us know how you like it.  I upgraded my sv 650 from the stock pos to a Penske and the difference was dramatic.  I think your startign with  a better original shock, but I'll bet the new shock is great.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
Thanks brutha's, I'm sure it will be awesome!  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
Santa delivered a present to me today!  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
Well, I've done it again.  Sorry Jay, but this should be in the 'Other Bike' board, not here.  Too much coffee this morning.
I'll move it again later.  :banghead:   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
Jay, Great Score!!  You are now on a very steep and slippery slope!!   Enjoy the new ride on the ole scooter!! 
Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 09:14:04 AM »
Progress report for ya...

Dropped my Gixxer off at my buddy's shop yesterday, have known him for 25+ years and now he is one of the best known superbike shops in the NW for the racers, he posted up a pic of my old school Gixxer on his shop facebook, and it's already getting some good likes/comments, I don't facebook but if you do please throw my old school a like or better yet a comment!

https://www.facebook.com/edrperformance?sk=wall

The Ohlins I bought needed a rebuild, they ordered the parts from Ohlins last week and should arrive next week. I'm traveling next week so dropped the Gixxer off and should be all done and installed by the time I get back in town, can't wait!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »
My buddy just sent me these pics and said my Gixxer is all done and ready to be picked up! The Ohlins was completely refreshed and installed!  :)   :thumbs: :thumbs:

Can't wait to take her for a rip and feel the difference compared to that oem shock.