Author Topic: kz question  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Silver Connie

kz question
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
im goin to look at a 78 kz, what should i look for?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: kz question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »
I had a '79 KZ-1000 LTD at one time. I'd say make sure everything is there ;)

Carbs were almost an annual maintenance item for me, the points every two years. If the previous owner(s) installed electronic ignition, make sure it works. Rubber (and vinyl) bits should look in decent shape. This would include the airbox rubber bits, hoses, and brake lines. Am fairly certain the clutch is cable operated.

Chain sprockets should show no wear on the sides, and the valley profile should be parabolic. If it's a semi-circle toward the root, plan on replacing both sprockets AND the chain.

My two centavos,

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »
I'm about to the roadworthy stage of my 2nd resto-rat.  I'd suggest taking a close look at your wallet, your calendar and your heart.  Both of mine took more money and time than I had planned on, by orders of magnitue.  When all is spent and done, you still have a 30-year old bike, even if you have it performing better than stock.  If your heart is still good with that, then proceed.  In general, try to get one as complete and in as good of condition as possible.  It will most likely be cheaper in the long run.

Enjoy.  There is something really satisfying in bringing an old abandoned/neglected bike back to life.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:57:26 AM »
I love my old KZ's,  and I agree with these guys. Fun bike night/occasional Saturday cruise, just replace everything even remotely wear related and don't expect C10 overall performance.

Offline inline4

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
The old KZs are a lot like my 83 CB1100F.............Ultimate cool factor but they will drain your bank account if you aren't careful.
There are 2 great forums with MANY life-long KZ owners that are more than willing to answer any questions you might have...........and believe me, there will be plenty.
First and foremost is     http://www.kzrider.com/
The other forum is      http://www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/   although it has been pretty quiet here lately.
Good luck and remember to post pics if you make the purchase.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:15 AM »
Well,

KZ what? 1000? 1000LTD? Z1? 650? 400?
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10