Author Topic: drip from #4 carb  (Read 3050 times)

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
drip from #4 carb
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:09:43 PM »
Here is a new one that I have not encountered. Which of course has me reeling of something bad has or may happen. #4 Carb has a slight drip of Oil and Fuel from the bowl drain port( I hope that's the correct description).

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Deuce
98 Concours

Offline Mettler1

Re: drip from #4 carb
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
  Don't know if this helps but it is a start.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/video-resources
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
1) drain screw might be loose
2) overtightening drain screw may have cracked bowl
3) if you have overflow tubes, gas level may high due to poorly sealing float valve
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
Thanks everyone! I took the carbs off and they are getting a cleaning and going through. I do not have overflow tubes, sounds like I should invest.

Thanks Again
98 Concours

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »
Cleaning by who? Do not use carb cleaner unless you want to destroy your carbs.
Send them out to Shoodabeen please.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Oil leaking from the carbatootie?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
Carbatootie......I like that!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
Carbs were cleaned from a fellow concours owner whom I trust. What is wrong with carb cleaner?

Put new needle in #4 and no more dripping. But, have loss of power now. I get on the throttle and sluggish response. I'm such a novice here, I'm not sure what else to check. It does seem to have started after carb cleaning though. I do not think that there was enough flooding to cause the hydrolock I hope. What are the signs and symptoms of this?

Yes, there seems to be a slight oily residue in and around boot #3.

Sorry for disjointed sentences, I'm very frustrated here!

98 Concours

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
  Carb cleaner can ruin slide diaphrams.  Carb cleaners are for auto carbs!! Also getting all those tiny passages clean as a result of ethanol gas residue is a bitch. I sent my carbs to Sisf  to be cleaned and set up right and my carbs are better than factory!!

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Also while you are there watch his videos. Yea, it cost money to get things done right!! Steve gets it done right!!! ;D ;D
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Carbs were cleaned from a fellow concours owner whom I trust. What is wrong with carb cleaner?

Put new needle in #4 and no more dripping. But, have loss of power now. I get on the throttle and sluggish response. I'm such a novice here, I'm not sure what else to check. It does seem to have started after carb cleaning though. I do not think that there was enough flooding to cause the hydrolock I hope. What are the signs and symptoms of this?

Yes, there seems to be a slight oily residue in and around boot #3.

Like Mettler1 said: carb cleaner degenerates rubber parts like orings and CV diaphrams.  Even if you completely disassemble carbs per the manual, there are orings in the butterfly shafts' ends which can't be removed as the shafts are pressed in so you have to be careful there.

You had the carb rack out to replace the float needle, so are ALL vacuum lines re-connected and boot clamps secured properly (particularly between carb and cylinder head)?  Did you remove spark plug wires during this maintenance?  Are they securely installed and to the right cylinders?  Is the airbox cover back on?  If these are SISF'd carbs - is the foam installed in one of the airbox snorkels as it should?

Is the oil on #3 boot between carb and airbox?  Probably coming from the air box due to the crank case breather valve spitting up in there due to oil over fill.  Look in airbox to see if oily on the bottom.

Sometimes it appears the carb bowl drain is the leak point but its really a carb bowl oring and the dripping only manifests at the bottom at the drain.  Has caused some to over tighten their drain screws and crack bowl castings.  Then they really leak!
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I will consider SISF's carb work. I will start with all the suggested items to check boots, vac lines etc.

Thanks!
98 Concours

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »
Carb #4 had worn needle. Replaced and ready to go! Bike running great now!

Thanks again!
98 Concours

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Congrats on your perseverance and glad your bike is running well.

I still can't see how a leaky float needle would cause a dribble from the bowl drain.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 05:37:10 AM »
Congrats on your perseverance and glad your bike is running well.

I still can't see how a leaky float needle would cause a dribble from the bowl drain.

When leaky float needle allows fuel level to rise in carb bowl, I have seen fuel leak into the cylinder / crankcase, out the airbox front lower left corner and:

Option 1:  If bike has overflow tubes - excess fuel leaks out the drain by design sparing hydrolock potential.

Option 2:  If bike does not have overflow tubes - excess fuel finds its way through a failed float bowl o-ring, down the bowl exterior to accumulate and drip off the lowest point of the bowl - the drain tip - giving appearance that drain is leaking. 

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1