Author Topic: Hoses "Maintenance"  (Read 1276 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Hoses "Maintenance"
« on: August 29, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
I was just checking through the maintenance schedule in the manual.  Replace fuel hoses every 5 years, brake/clutch hoses every 4 years, and radiator hoses every 3 years???  Really???  I mean.... REALLY???????  Does anyone ever do that?  I haven't even changed the coolant, ever. (And that they say should be done every 3 years or 22K miles).

I know I might be lax on some maintenance stuff, but this looks more like CYA (cover your ass) lawyer stuff than reality, to me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: Hoses "Maintenance"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
I just check them about once a year. If they are drying out, cracking, bulging, or in any way look questionable, I change them.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way. What you posted above sounds like over kill to me. You should be flushing the coolant, brake and clutch lines, changing oil, gear oil, and most of the other scheduled maintenance at regular intervals. Definitely more often than “once every 40,000 miles whether it needs it or not.”  :thumbs:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:47:05 PM »
What's the manual say about air filter maintenance?  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 06:55:20 PM »
Oh good grief.  I suppose I opened myself up to this.  Really, it was a serious question if anyone actually replaces such hoses in such a short time.  It sounds insane to me.

Offtopic, but I already flushed/replaced brake/clutch fluid and front brake pads, have ordered a new battery, oil, have air filter, have coolant, ordered a full valve adjustment kit, and more.  Upgraded lighting in garage, and I think my friend is ready to help now with valves/tb sync and says he found his 4-tube manometer....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »

Offtopic, but I already flushed/replaced brake/clutch fluid and front brake pads, have ordered a new battery, oil, have air filter, have coolant, ordered a full valve adjustment kit, and more.  Upgraded lighting in garage, and I think my friend is ready to help now with valves/tb sync and says he found his 4-tube manometer....
Good grief is right. By the time you get all that done you’re going to think you bought a new bike.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
Good grief is right. By the time you get all that done you’re going to think you bought a new bike.

I hope so :)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:04:53 PM »
I saw somewhere a complete  coolant hose kit in silicone. I wonder where I could find that?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
Silicone hoses are friggin' awesome. I would want some constant torque clamps to go with them. By that time, it's gonna be pricey if your stockers look fine. I would have to see an issue with hose deterioration first. I'm too cheap to replace a perfect stock hose.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
Here's the link for the silicone hoses. If you go this route, get the clamp kit too as its more rounded on the clamps, i.e., not sharp which will cut in on the silicone hoses.

https://racebikebitzusa.com/samco-hoses/street-bike-hose-kits/Kawasaki-Street-Road-Samco-Silicone-Hose-Kits/C/year-2009/kawasaki-concours-c14-1400-gtr-zg1400-2008-2009-samco-sport-hose-kit

I finally got around to this after having the hose kit + clamps sitting around for awhile and time came up as I experienced the dreaded radiator leak without a guard. Had time to do coolant flush, new hoses/clamps, new radiator + guard. Honestly was due time since I have a 2008 and would rather do this now in our downtime.

Oh and pics of the new hoses/clamps/radiator/guard installed...
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49741317927_c9500ef112_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49740993161_baec505aff_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49741317507_e381c10589_b.jpg

I saw somewhere a complete  coolant hose kit in silicone. I wonder where I could find that?