Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672078 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
Maybe something like this happened...

http://www.shipanycar.com/auto-transport-accidents.php

Next time, don't eat my toast.  >:( ;)

Thanks so much Jim, I really feel better now.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #301 on: December 20, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »
 ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Sometimes things that are commonly accepted seem to make no sense at all. Take shotgun gauges for example: why is a 10 gauge bigger than a 12 gauge? In fact, it seems to work backwards- the larger the number the smaller the bore size (excepting .410 which is really not a gauge at all and is miss- named).

Bore sizes are based on the diameter of the ball that could be made from a given amount of pure lead. A 12 gauge bore is the result of making a perfect sphere out of 1/12 pound of lead; this rule follows and that is why the sizes seem backwards. A 20th of a pound of lead will make a considerably smaller ball than a 12th of a pound of lead will make.

The reasoning behind this method even makes sense; it gives an approximation of how many shots one could get from a single pound of lead. Or as it was actually used, it reflects how many shots could be carried given a fixed load for a soldier or a hunter.... after a fashion, walking around carrying dozens of 'shots' gets tiring.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
That leads to another question Brian.

Why are wire gauge sizes treated the same way as shotgun gauge sizes? 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
I believe the original reason was that it took more die drawings to produce smaller wire and the number of draws were counted and attributed to the specific wire size. For example, maybe 10 gauge wire took 10 individual drawings through incrementally smaller dies to make it that size. 20 gauge wire would take an additional 10 drawings to manufacture, and so on. Those "measurements" are long gone and have no bearing on today’s wire sizes other than to have started the general trend which is to name smaller wire with a larger number.

As far as current wire gauge standards- one of my favorite things.....standards. Standards are good but what is great is when you have more than one, and preferably something like wire gauge sizes where there are many standards! Brown and Sharpe (just down the road from me) standardized wire sizes.... first. Then all the others came along and use names like AWG (American wire gauges) which should never be confused with the Imperial measurement (British) called Standard Wire Gauges. There are a pile of 'standards' and so wire sizes are always specified using the 'standard' used (30 gauge AWG for example), and that is usually followed by an inch or millimeter designation.... just to be sure.

We should probably talk about machine tapers next.... Morse, B&S, Cincinnati, NM (National Machine), Hardinge, etc., etc. ad nauseum. None of them interchange and most of them are not even close to another is size / shape except for the ones that are but they still are not interchangeable. It results in a lot of "You cannot stick THAT in THERE." on shop floors. If you hear that anywhere else it means something else.

The world of measurements and quantifications is a mess I tells ya' and the only thing left to do with it is to get a chuckle here and there.

Brian

That leads to another question Brian.

Why are wire gauge sizes treated the same way as shotgun gauge sizes?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #305 on: December 20, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »
Interesting- I have never heard Kirby do that either....

Brian

Can you hear a cat fart?.........I never have.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »
We're going to see The Fabulous Shpielkehs at the Kimmel Center on friday.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #307 on: December 20, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
Sometimes things that are commonly accepted seem to make no sense at all. Take shotgun gauges for example: why is a 10 gauge bigger than a 12 gauge? In fact, it seems to work backwards- the larger the number the smaller the bore size (excepting .410 which is really not a gauge at all and is miss- named).

Bore sizes are based on the diameter of the ball that could be made from a given amount of pure lead. A 12 gauge bore is the result of making a perfect sphere out of 1/12 pound of lead; this rule follows and that is why the sizes seem backwards. A 20th of a pound of lead will make a considerably smaller ball than a 12th of a pound of lead will make.

The reasoning behind this method even makes sense; it gives an approximation of how many shots one could get from a single pound of lead. Or as it was actually used, it reflects how many shots could be carried given a fixed load for a soldier or a hunter.... after a fashion, walking around carrying dozens of 'shots' gets tiring.

Brian

My grandpa taught me that.  :D

A .410 is actually it's bore/caliber.  410 thousands of an inch.  Also learned that from my grandpa.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #308 on: December 20, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
I just watched an infomercial on the chefs basket, they will throw in an automatic stirring tool, just pay S&H.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #309 on: December 20, 2011, 10:25:28 PM »
My head is 22" around. Had to measure for a fit.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #310 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
My grandpa taught me that.  :D

A .410 is actually it's bore/caliber.  410 thousands of an inch.  Also learned that from my grandpa.
If .410 is its bore/caliber why does the Tauras Judge shoot .45LC and .410 shells from the same cylinder and barrel?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #311 on: December 20, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Because the outside brass diameter must be much larger than the actual bore size of a .410 cartridge. Inside the brass base is the plastic tube, and inside that tube is the projectile(s) sized to the .410 bore. But the brass casing of a .45 LC (and virtually all metallic fixed cartridges for that matter) holds the projectile directly without the intermediate plastic tubing. Thus the actual bore size of the two is quite different even though the brass portion of the cartridges are the same.

In all the world of quantification, I have never seen anything nearly as confused and often outright incorrect as firearm caliber nomenclature. A .38 special is identical in every external measurement when compared to a .357 magnum except the .357 case is 0.100" longer. Even when it is confused it is not consistent; a .44 special and a .44 magnum are actually the same bore diameter but again have the same 0.100 case length difference. And, of course, a .44 special or .44 magnum is actually .429" in diameter, making it a true .42 caliber. A .22 Long Rifle is a very common pistol caliber. Etc., etc. It did start off making some sense at one point but deteriorated; a 45-70 was originally a 45-70-405 or a 45-70-500 which was a bore of .450", the cartridge was loaded with 70 grains of FFg black powder, and the projectile (bullet) was a 405 grain or 500 grain mass. With the advent of smokeless powder, which cannot be loaded using bulk measure as black power was, all of those nomenclature specifics became meaningless.

Brian

Brian

If .410 is its bore/caliber why does the Tauras Judge shoot .45LC and .410 shells from the same cylinder and barrel?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #312 on: December 21, 2011, 05:03:25 AM »
Yesterday was my last work day of the year. I'm off, paid, till Jan 3rd. Love it!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2011, 05:09:44 AM »
Hmmm.  I thought you were off...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »
Hmmm.  I thought you were off...

There you go again Jim, what did I tell you about that thinking business? Stop it before you hurt yourself. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:30 AM »
Absolutely right...it's no good for anyone.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2011, 05:58:25 AM »
I pick up my plates for my TDI this Morning ;D

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #317 on: December 21, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »
I put my bike away for the winter yesterday. I miss it already.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Rode my Bike to work today. Winter time is ridin' time in Houston.  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Conrad

« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2011, 05:24:30 AM »
I pick up my plates for my TDI this Morning ;D

I transferred the personalized plates from my Pontiac to the TDI and got new plain Jane plates for the Pontiac. I'm giving the car to my son.