Author Topic: I need your help- UPDATE- Which used C14 for me or an FJR?  (Read 1909 times)

wcgreen

I need your help- UPDATE- Which used C14 for me or an FJR?
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »
Sorry for all the original typos- was on a phone while a 19 yr old drove 80 and constantly tailgating everyone!

Hey folks!! You havwebeen such a help in the past and I had to come back here because there are some great people on here. 

I need some sound advice. I cant get into all of it, but I sold my last 2012 as my wife joined me at grad school and I got an Indian Scout 60- loved it!!  However, we have had some terrible luck and I find myself needing my old C14. We have had to go to different states for work. She will be in Wyoming and I in Alabama. Selling the Indian Friday and will be buying a bike asap.  I will be on a friends sofa, working part time, till I find full time.

OK- need some honest suggestions. Ive done the bike-only thing for years, so please dont suggest I get a beater Prius or something. Getting 7k for my bike ans putting $2500 in bank and $4500 for wheels. Heres where I need your honesty. I have a come across a very clean 2009 red ABS C14, 29K two bros exhaust, no valve check as far as I know. $4000.  I am also looking at MANY 2006-2008 FJRs, mint 20-35K on them.  Now, thr Connie wins me for looks. But, I will be a bike only guy and def dont need any valve checking to happen for another 20K- So jist know whichever bike is chosen, thise valves will not be looked at, at least for a few years probably of daily driving.

That said, what would you do? Thr 2009 Connie with 30k or one of the FJRs? One of them has 9500 miles, but I dont think it will be available by the weekend.  I welcome your thoughts as always!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:27:39 PM by wcgreen »

Offline Conniesaki

Re: I need your help- another used C14 for me or an FJR?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
Sounds like you answered your own question.

If you're wanting somebody to say it's OK to ride many miles beyond the stated valve check interval, heck I'll say it: Sure, why not, go for it!  :thumbs:

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
From what I recall, Yamaha recommends not installing a trunk with sidebags on the FJR. As your only vehicle, you will probably want a trunk, but will also want to consider upgrading to Phil's rack or similar product (OEM rack is plastic and not confidence inspiring). You can't go wrong with either bike, but of course the C14 is better! ECU reflash will transform the C14. And if you are looking for the reliability one wants in a one-vehicle situation, you can't beat the Concours.
2010 C14 ABS

wcgreen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
Thanks guys! I know the FJR has a wider interval for the check and it’s supposed to be much simpler to do- I honestly won’t be able to do it on either- just ride. I have seen some FJRs with trunks- several I’m looking at, actually. Just wanted some input in case folks felt like one would give a def advantage- I didn’t love my Connie’s.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »
Sounds like you answered your own question.

If you're wanting somebody to say it's OK to ride many miles beyond the stated valve check interval, heck I'll say it: Sure, why not, go for it!  :thumbs:

I will say it too.  I have not checked mine yet at 35K , and I am under no real stress about it.

Buy what you like, but probably most of us here believe the Concours is far superior to the FJR... even their latest.  More reliable, more powerful, better looking, more capacity, better weather protection, better warranty, better ride, better transmission, and so on.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Well I’m leaning hard at another C14 then- any thoughts about these options?

1- leaning this:  Super clean 2009 ABS, red, 2 Bros Exhaust, 30K, new tires, front sensor battery warning- $4000

2- Super clean 2008 ABS, stock other than new seat, can’t determine the make, similar to Corbin, 33K- $4000

3- Super clean 2008, ABS, stock, topcase, 18K, needs tires-  $4650

What would you do? Pay the extra $650 for the lower miles? I do love that 2008 color!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:46:42 PM by wcgreen »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: I need your help- UPDATE- Which used C14 for me or an FJR?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
Save the $650 and use it to buy a topcase and a Delkevic slip on
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
why, and I have to ask a second time, WHY... would you expect us to tell you what to Buy? after seeing this stuff for 14 years, and seeing people ask... WHY, would anything someone here says, be the definitive answer to provoke your purchase? and, if said purchase turns out to be a 'lemon', we take the blame...
I know you are young, but man up, make a decision, and stop sleepin' on some dudes couch.... which I found extremely funny...

we can't see, hear, touch, any of the bikes you found... you need to decide, and not listen to anyone here saying "buy, buy, buy"....

enjoy, and get off the couch...
https://youtu.be/VMLTJU3L9H0

However, we have had some terrible luck and I find myself needing my old C14. We have had to go to different states for work. She will be in Wyoming and I in Alabama. Selling the Indian Friday and will be buying a bike asap.  I will be on a friends sofa, working part time, till I find full time.

I welcome your thoughts as always!!

https://youtu.be/XT8iuDlv87w

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

wcgreen

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
why, and I have to ask a second time, WHY... would you expect us to tell you what to Buy? after seeing this stuff for 14 years, and seeing people ask... WHY, would anything someone here says, be the definitive answer to provoke your purchase? and, if said purchase turns out to be a 'lemon', we take the blame...
I know you are young, but man up, make a decision, and stop sleepin' on some dudes couch.... which I found extremely funny...

we can't see, hear, touch, any of the bikes you found... you need to decide, and not listen to anyone here saying "buy, buy, buy"....

enjoy, and get off the couch...
https://youtu.be/VMLTJU3L9H0

https://youtu.be/XT8iuDlv87w

You good it funny? Well you seriously screwed up. Let me school your ass, pal. My wife and I spend every cent we had trying to get a job after graduating- I’m 53 and she s40 and we’ve had some serious crap happen to us. She was assaulted at her job and I applied to 60 schools- how one almost job which we had to send all our savings to go interview one Wyoming. You don’t know what the hell she or I have ben going through but if you think it’s funny then you freaki g sick as a human you ass. I wish I could tell you in persona. S sent you to the ER flatlined. She took at Job in WY and I have to go to Mobile for $2000 a class teaching g adjunct and sleeping g on a sofa- yes- all my family is dead and few want to help. So I’m doing what I have to to get some teaching g experience and hopefully a Fulton’s tenured job in time. Is he and I are going through hell- glad we could give you a freaking laugh you complet dickwad. I just wanted some opinions- sorry hire such a man that you gotta take shots at folks- in person, trust me you would not do that with this guy- and if you did- I might have to do life in prison to make my point- and right now- I would, gladly- you’re a damn douche, pal.

wcgreen

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
There’s always gotta be that one ass$&le that ruins everything- clearly it’s yiu- block me or ban me- at this point I don’t give a damn- I will do what I want- for those of you that tried to give and helpful opinion- thank you- for the rest- I think I should go solo and do my think without this forum- I can’t let smarts sh$t like this pass without confrontation- I don’t play that way- act an ass and get called out

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
Well I’m leaning hard at another C14 then- any thoughts about these options?

1- leaning this:  Super clean 2009 ABS, red, 2 Bros Exhaust, 30K, new tires, front sensor battery warning- $4000

2- Super clean 2008 ABS, stock other than new seat, can’t determine the make, similar to Corbin, 33K- $4000

3- Super clean 2008, ABS, stock, topcase, 18K, needs tires-  $4650

What would you do? Pay the extra $650 for the lower miles? I do love that 2008 color!

I would look at a 2010+... But that is me.  But if forced to only those three choices, I would be most interested in #3 (assuming condition was all the same, which is a big assumption) because I don't want a non-stock muffler and the case would be nice, and lower miles.   Plus I like light blue silver over red.   But you need to buy what YOU want to buy, not what I would want to buy :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
Sorry, couldn’t resist. Think you might have over reacted just a bit? Maybe?

Either way, have you ever been on an FJR? I only ask because depending on your size, one or the other might fit you better. I would base the decision on comfort and ergonomics that fit you best unless you want to spend more to modify it to fit you. Comfort would be more important than looks for me if it was going to be my primary mode of transportation.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
Sorry, couldn’t resist. Think you might have over reacted just a bit? Maybe?

I don't think so.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
Geez, guys.  Really?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.