Author Topic: Removing sod...  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Removing sod...
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Summer time and the honey do list just keeps growing. Got another issue at hand and need some suggestion.

I got a 40 ft (approx) by 5 ft decline by the side of the house that goes down to the ditch. Even a slight rain will accumulate water in the ditch, causing all kinds of weeds to grow that later deposits seeds in my yard. It is also a pain to mow due to the gradient as well as water accumulation at the bottom. My plan is to remove all the grass from the incline, make about couple inch deep cut, cover it with black plastic and than fill it with gravel or something like that so nothing can grow there.

My original plan was to just till the area with my tiller and then shovel all the grass and soil away. With all the heat and not wanting to kill my back, I am wondering if that is a wise plan. I am now wondering if I can use a Backhoe to dig up the dirt and grass from that area. Got no experience with a Backhoe, but was wondering if what I am thinking is possible.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Gearhead82

Re: Removing sod...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
There are places that rent self-propelled sod cutters.  I used to work for a Home Depot Rental department and we rented them out there.  They're pretty cool.  They have a blade about 24" long that goes beneath the sod and cuts it all the way across.  Then you can just roll it up and throw it away.

How-to use a sod cutter
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
AWSOME ! Now that is the kind of suggestion I am looking for !
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »
Yah, I used one of those one summer doing part-time work for a landscaper.  We took out a big side-yard to make space for a vegetable garden.  Saved the sod for re-use elsewhere.  It is self-propelled, but it ain't self-steering and as you can see the operator is horsing it around pretty good.  It'll give you a good work-out.  Also, your sod may be worth a buck or two if it is good quality and there is enough of it.  Check with your local landscapers, see if anyone might want to take it in exchange for removing it or perhaps buy it to mitigate the cost of machine rental (unlikely, but you never know).  Around here it would probably cost more to (legally) dump the stuff than it would to rent the machine.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
Those sod machines are man killers. They have to be heavy to cut and if you are loading them onto a trailer all the weight seems to be up high. The cutting depth is adjustable and if you are renting from Home Depot etc your chances of getting a properly set up machine are slim to none so be prepared to figure things out for your self.

Also from experience if you run into any object under the sod such as tree roots or rocks you will twisted into positions even a chiropractor can't untwist.

For our enjoyment please have someone video your exploits.....such be especially funny as you manouver down the grade or stall out coming back up.....sorry I just spent the last 8 hours putting down a ceramic tile floor and am looking for company in the aches and pains department....

Excavator

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
Don't try the sod cutter on a steep slope, it will hurt you and there is no real need to remove the sod. I would simply cover the sod with a good heavy duty weed barrier (not plastic) and place rip rap (large rocks) to cover the area, if it's very steep small rocks or gravel will just wash down to the ditch.

Excavator. 

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
Tilling is hard work just for a ditch.  Try this instead:  Mow and weed eat as short as possible.  Then, spray weed and grass killer.  Repeat a couple of days later.  The hotter and dryer the weather is the better.

Once everything is brown put down your weedblock or plastic and cover with topping of your choice.  For ditches I like a medium sized crushed granite aggregate.  The more you can compact the area, the longer it will last.  But it will still require maintenance.  Especially if you get heavy rains.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »
wow...some great advice here. I did like the weed killer advice. Unfortunately, I got dogs that think they are cows. So I do want to use any chemical in my yard.

As far as steepness goes, it is not very steep. I mean I can cut the grass on my riding mower along the length - just have to plant my butt towards the top of the seat. I do not have to go up and down the slope to cut it.

I have never used a Sod cutter, and so the issues you are stating seems possible. You guys do not think I cannot just dig about an inch of dirt (along with the grass) out with a backhoe? Worst case, I might just try covering the area with black weed blocker and do it that way.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline booger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
If you are worried about your back, the sod cutter ain't the way to go.

Their tough to handle.