Author Topic: The best Harley ad ever made !!!  (Read 9235 times)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
The best Harley ad ever made !!!
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
Re: The best Harley ad ever made !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
That is great!!  :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
The level of intelligence in the comments is outstanding.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
No argument it's good, but I've always been partial to the 'black sheep' ad:
Guns N' Roses - Harley Davidson Commercial - Blacksheep MC - Paradise City Music
I mean, seriously, they indicate straight up that their customers are sheep that flock together?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
I missed that one when I use to peruse the PBR forum. I'm in no way a Harley hater, but that is a great message. Harley shut down Buell right after I bought my 2008 XB12XT.  >:(

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/37/243322.html?

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
This is hilarious !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN2zC8PU

And we thought you guys did not get Brit Humour ......Great ad  :chugbeer:

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:19 AM »
Yeah, if we're going to have a tough Harley guy try on a bandana in the commercial it had better be a pink one.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
Yeah, if we're going to have a tough Harley guy try on a bandana in the commercial it had better be a pink one.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Glad to see this thread is still here.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
Glad to see this thread is still here.

Thanks G, I cleansed it from the "other" forum due to someone getting offended by it. Looks like I will be spending more time over here from now on.   

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
I have some questions about Japanese motorcycles based on this video.

When was the technology invented that the Japanese use in their motorcycles? 

Fuel injection was invented in 1910 and widely used in the automotive industry by 1980.

The first DOHC engine was in a 1912 Peugeot.

Cartridge style suspension was invented in 1942.

Oh, and an I-4 engine is older technology than a V-twin engine. 

So, although what the guy said may be true, that doesn't mean Japanese motorcycles are better. 

I think whenever a motorcycle or brand has an enthusiastic following the followers overlook many flaws in design and execution choices by the manufacturer. 

I do find it amazing how many sheep hate what is different from what they have.  Most Japanese motorcycles are built on a budget to meet a certain price point and shortcuts are taken to get there.  There is no perfect motorcycle.  I LOVE them ALL, and would have one of everything in my garage if I could.

All right, back to the bashing the competition. LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoural medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours (Latin: humor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.

People of all ages and cultures respond to humour. The majority of people are able to experience humour, i.e., to be amused, to laugh or smile at something funny, and thus they are considered to have a sense of humour. The hypothetical person lacking a sense of humour would likely find the behaviour induced by humour to be inexplicable, strange, or even irrational. Though ultimately decided by personal taste, the extent to which a person will find something humorous depends upon a host of variables, including geographical location, culture, maturity, level of education, intelligence and context. For example, young children may favour slapstick, such as Punch and Judy puppet shows or cartoons such as Tom and Jerry. Satire may rely more on understanding the target of the humour and thus tends to appeal to more mature audiences.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »
I do plan on riding a Harley someday. It will be a fast sport-tourer. I just hope I don't have to wait forever. I would love to own an American-Made motorcycle (sport- touring) for under $20,000.
Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Just to be an equal opportunity offender, here you go.....

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back.
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Shoulder too stiff from camping on the ground the night before.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced. And the number one reason...
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The expresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stock broker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on the dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.
8. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of the handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice-burner manufacturers.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're jealous that after spending $20,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
I do plan on riding a Harley someday. It will be a fast sport-tourer. I just hope I don't have to wait forever. I would love to own an American-Made motorcycle (sport- touring) for under $20,000.
In October I rode one for the first time in my life, an Ultra Classic.  Rode it for 9 days in the TN/KY hills around Ft Campbell.  2 things good to report.  The stereo is awesome and the trunk is massive.  IOW, the bike is not for me, under performing in all aspects, uncomfortable for me, poor braking, and a miserable riding experience.
Bonus?  I received a wave from ALL 2 wheeled riders on the road, BMW, Wingers, and even the sports bike crowd.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
The part of the video that was the most amusing was the fact that they can put a 50 year old technology front end on a new bike and they call it "Classic" or "innovative" and people will buy it. Now what would happen if Kawasaki were to put drum brakes on a new C-14?
I can tell you what would happen, they would call it ridiculous and stupid and no one would buy it. I have never been a fan of antiques or old stuff. I have ridden and worked on many Harleys, and they do not impress me. I also do not like 1911 handguns either. Boy now I have stepped in it huh?     

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Yep, you sure did. What is wrong with old Slab- sides? It is virtually perfect and always has been. Nearly a half- inch working hole (easy boys!) with an outside dimension of less than one inch- amazing design. A dropping barrel, short recoil, locked action that simply works. I would say the rest of the piece is robust but that is not the case: it is absolutely bullet proof with nary a flaw. Only seven rounds in the magazine- that is really a plus because it tends to prevent 'spray and pray' behavior.

And the ergodynamics: one of only two pistols that seem like the designer had an actual human hand to work with while they were being designed!

Now I will give you that Glock hit one out of the park with their entire concept of the operation of the partial- depressed trigger mechanism; it results in an extremely simple, reliable piece with the correct number of levers and buttons (one- for the magazine release). That said, Glocks do tend to be supremely ugly (which does not effect performance- form follows function is true) and a bit wide in the slide; August was not paying attention to what J.M. Browning had taught all of us so long ago.

Ah, the 1911.... a design masterpiece.

Hey, you brought it up.  :rotflmao:  All with respect and in good humor of course.

Brian

<snip>

I also do not like 1911 handguns either. Boy now I have stepped in it huh?     
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
I love Harley's. I'll never own one and I don't like riding them much (relative to other bikes). But I think they are doing an amazing job of keeping the tradition alive. They are actually as high tech as they can possibly be. They absolutely have to keep the basic look and that, air cooled, 45 degree V twin, single pin crank, push rod engine with separate transmission. That's their market and the day the abandon that, they're done. Read about the latest Road King and you will see they have put as much tech into that bike while still retaining the Harley soul as humanly possible. I'm thrilled that millions of riders still love it. It's just not for me.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
Yep, you sure did. What is wrong with old Slab- sides? It is virtually perfect and always has been. Nearly a half- inch working hole (easy boys!) with an outside dimension of less than one inch- amazing design. A dropping barrel, short recoil, locked action that simply works. I would say the rest of the piece is robust but that is not the case: it is absolutely bullet proof with nary a flaw. Only seven rounds in the magazine- that is really a plus because it tends to prevent 'spray and pray' behavior.

And the ergodynamics: one of only two pistols that seem like the designer had an actual human hand to work with while they were being designed!

Now I will give you that Glock hit one out of the park with their entire concept of the operation of the partial- depressed trigger mechanism; it results in an extremely simple, reliable piece with the correct number of levers and buttons (one- for the magazine release). That said, Glocks do tend to be supremely ugly (which does not effect performance- form follows function is true) and a bit wide in the slide; August was not paying attention to what J.M. Browning had taught all of us so long ago.

Ah, the 1911.... a design masterpiece.

Hey, you brought it up.  :rotflmao:  All with respect and in good humor of course.

Brian

Very well put Brian. Now I will explain my comment. Personally I don't have a problem with the 1911. But being a firearms instructor for the past 20+ years has given me a whole new prospective on the topic. In the right hands the 1911 is a fine weapon with superb accuracy. However in the hands of an amateur they are one of the if not the most dangerous weapon out there. I cannot tell you how many students show up at my concealed handgun classes with a 1911, not because that's what they need, but rather because one of their friends told them that that was what they needed. A 1911 in the hands of someone who has no idea what the buttons and switches are for is probably the worst scenario I can think of. And most of them also do not realize that when you drop the slide the gun is ready to rock & roll, but they never give a second thought to the gun being safe. Pardon me for being so blunt but I have seen some very scary stuff at those CHL classes. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
And we thought you guys did not get Brit Humour ......Great ad  :chugbeer:

I do.  Can't get enough of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.