Author Topic: Doesn't work but...  (Read 8096 times)

Offline Slideways

Doesn't work but...
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
... it's kinda funny.

Had this idea for years and finally had Fast Signs make it for me. Yes I know, when you're on a Konnie a double yellow is more if a suggestion and waiting for turn-outs isn't nessecary but I couldn't help myself.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Doesn't work but...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
I like it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
I like it, bummer it doesn't work. Sometimes you just have to use the turnout to pass'm.  ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:55 AM »
What's a turnout?    ???
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
It appears that a turnout is a short additional leg where slow vehicles can divert, allowing following vehicles to pass, and then the slow guy can re-enter the highway.

In some places it's obligatory to take a turnout if you have some number of vehicles trapped behind you.

Unfortunately, a 'slow vehicle' is defined as one going under the speed limit.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »
What's a turnout?    ???

I had to 'wiki' the answer myself.

My question is - where does Slideways live that they even have turnouts on the highway?
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
I had to 'wiki' the answer myself.

My question is - where does Slideways live that they even have turnouts on the highway?

Turnouts are all over the PNW on mountain passes. I can understand not knowing what they are if you live in one of those flat states.  ;D

Offline Slideways

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Turn outs are wide spots created on a road that slower traffic could use to allow the parade behind them to pass but they ignore them to frustrate the drivers behind. Passing lanes are a similar device. As a slow moving vehicle that is holding up traffic enters a passing lane they stay in the left lane and floor it until the passing lane ends at which point they slow to some mind numbing pace again. At least that is how the asshats in SoCal do it.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:28:54 AM »
Turn outs are wide spots created on a road that slower traffic could use to allow the parade behind them to pass but they ignore them to frustrate the drivers behind. Passing lanes are a similar device. As a slow moving vehicle that is holding up traffic enters a passing lane they stay in the left lane and floor it until the passing lane ends at which point they slow to some mind numbing pace again. At least that is how the asshats in SoCal do it.
Everywhere. All the time. Every single one of them.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:41 AM »
It appears that a turnout is a short additional leg where slow vehicles can divert, allowing following vehicles to pass, and then the slow guy can re-enter the highway.

In some places it's obligatory to take a turnout if you have some number of vehicles trapped behind you.

Unfortunately, a 'slow vehicle' is defined as one going under the speed limit.

Ah, a slow moving vehicle lane, I got it now. I don't know why it's called a turnout though.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Slideways

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:21 AM »
...okay while in a cynical mood there is another circumstance frequently encountered that is a favorite of mine. It involves the term 'merging'. In SoCal apparently this is done by entering a busy freeway at about 45mph forcing the 65mph+ traffic already on the roadway to scatter or slam on the brakes. This is normally followed by the merging vehicle immediately 'merging' into the #1 lane aka the fast lane while still maintaining the original entry speed. These are the times I am glad to be on my Konnie (correct spelling IMHO).

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
+++ on the asshats.  Not ONLY here in sunny SoCal, but they are DENSE here.

"Dense" is not only funny, it is a legit term used in mathematics when the elements of a set are so close together that they are, basically, everywhere.  Azzholes to elbows deep.  Continuous.
Plus, as before, it is funny. 

+++ on the merging.  Every.  Day.  45mph is about average, too.  Some faster, and every so often...
one nimrod like the guy last night.  Right on, right across five lanes, even illegally crossing the double double yellow to occupy the HOV lane.  Trifecta at least.  I figure these folks are just so simple about their driving that they ALWAYS drive in the number one lane.  When they get on the fwy, it just LOOKS ALL WRONG until they are in the right place. 

- - - - - - on the Slow Moving Vehicle lane.  Turnout is NOT NOT NOT part of the traffic lanes.  Read the word.  You "turn...out" of the traffic lanes.  I mean, I DO, if I am driving something slowly.  Actually, it runs pretty close to 50% up here in the mountains.  Half pretend not to notice me.  I am stoopid patient, and never honk or flash.  Sometimes I fume.  Half WILL actually hit the turnouts.  The really good drivers pull into the turnout, and don't really slow down until they see if I can get by them OK.  Which I do, of course.  I am gone, and they are right back in the traffic lane, having never lost any speed.  Truly a thing of beauty.  Those guys get a wave, or four way flashers at night. 

ALWAYS thank the considerate and skilled drivers.  Who knows...those other drivers may be riding shotgun and they only need a lesson in how to do it. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
... it's kinda funny.

Had this idea for years and finally had Fast Signs make it for me. Yes I know, when you're on a Konnie a double yellow is more if a suggestion and waiting for turn-outs isn't nessecary but I couldn't help myself.

Cool!  Question: Have you ridden behind someone you know for feedback regarding whether they could read it in the rear view?  How close did you have to get for them to read it?

My riding buddy and I had a conversation with a cager at the North Rim and were telling him how Motorcyclists enjoy the curves and if one catches up with you it is nice to pull off and let them pass.

Not long afterwards we caught up with him and he pulled over to let us by.  Your Welcome.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Slideways

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
Have not had feedback from someone in an automobile. When I had it made simply made it as large as would fit the best space.

Was stuck behind some douchebag this morning on a twisty mountain road but bein's how I was on a reasonably quick bike didn't have to wait long to make a safe pass inspite if a double yellow.

;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
Ah, a slow moving vehicle lane, I got it now. I don't know why it's called a turnout though.

Well technically a turnout isn't a passing/slow moving lane. It's pretty much a wide spot in the road made specifically for letting slower vehicles pull in and stop for scenic views or letting faster vehicles pass. It requires one to turn into it and stop (TURN in and OUT of traffic) or slow to a creep. National parks are usually full of them. It's unfortunate that many are so small that even if the vehicle ahead of you is willing to use it, that they slow to an even more slow speed to turn into it. They usually decide to do this at the last second so it can catch you off guard. Unfortunately some turnouts are gravel instead of paved. The gravel ones usually require an even slower entry speed and then have gravel on the road at their exit.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turnout

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »
Well technically a turnout isn't a passing/slow moving lane. It's pretty much a wide spot in the road made specifically for letting slower vehicles pull in and stop for scenic views or letting faster vehicles pass. It requires one to turn into it and stop (TURN in and OUT of traffic) or slow to a creep. National parks are usually full of them. It's unfortunate that many are so small that even if the vehicle ahead of you is willing to use it, that they slow to an even more slow speed to turn into it. They usually decide to do this at the last second so it can catch you off guard. Unfortunately some turnouts are gravel instead of paved. The gravel ones usually require an even slower entry speed and then have gravel on the road at their exit.

I got it now, thanks FM.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »

When I spot a turn out ahead, I start flashing my lights in hope that the driver will get the hint so I am never caught off guard.  I am very dissapointed that they make me pass on the double yellow when they fail to turn in though. 

Of course what really sucks is when I pass them and then see a scenic overlook that I just have to stop at.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I thought turnouts were for passing.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
I thought turnouts were for passing.  ;D

+1   ;D :chugbeer:

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »

I live in Kansas and ride a lot in Arkansas because of the curves and scenery. Here we have Super 2 highways which are two lane roads with passing lanes every 5 to 10 miles. The passing lanes are always well marked "drive right,  inside lane for passing only"  I don't know how many times I've been stuck behind someone who appears to be deceased or a lady putting on her makeup or talking on the cell who stay in the passing lane all the way through it and they always appear clueless.  (by the way, do you ever wonder what they spend so much time on the cell phone talking about?) On our 4 lane roads, as a matter of state law all 4 lane or more roads are "drive right except to pass regardless of your speed - ie driving the speed limit but remaining in the inside lane is still a violation, and they do the same thing there. Flashing lights and horns are of no use. When the State law was changed the HP was issuing tickets for those that didn't stay right but I think they just gave up because they aren't enforcing that law much at all now. As far as Arkansas is concerned it appears to me that the turn outs are seldom used but the state has been kind enough to mark passing lanes with double yellow lines, or at least my riding buddy calls double yellow an "Arkansas passing lane".  Oh, well that is life and we might as well chill out and accept that some human behavior is just not changeable.

Fork