Author Topic: Front suspension diagnosis! I’m slowly losing my mind  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Flying Marmot

Front suspension diagnosis! I’m slowly losing my mind
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
On my second C14 which for my purposes is best bike ever made.
My previous 2011 was dialed in perfectly with sag /rebound and never had the issues I have with my 2016.
I’ll cut to the chase
The 2016 was measured for sag and tested for rebound . I’m 225lbs
250 with gear and airbag vest.
I ride mainly rural backroads that see me riding between 45-70+

The front of the bike bobbles, patters and nods despite ramping up damping and preload.
I’ve tested 15 variations of adjustments from extreme soft to rock hard and mainly within my weight riding limit range. I use zip tie on forks and average 100 miles before changing/analyzing.
Front tire has worn shoulder now down to indicator. Center still has 5mm. Most alarming is despite new balanced pirrelli Angel gt and correct wheel weights I get bar wobble if I loosen grip and it gets much worse when taking hands off.

Has anyone got advice?  Bike was bought at 3K miles and is at 10K miles now.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Front suspension diagnosis! I’m slowly losing my mind
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
Check steering and wheel bearings. By the way what do you mean by correct wheel weights?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Flying Marmot

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
The wheels were balanced and weights added to inside of rim .
I’ll check bearings too anything specific to look for or feel ?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
I think you want to lift the front wheel off the floor, by the frame not by the wheel or forks or handlebars, and then jiggle the front end to see if there's play ... i.e. when you pull the front wheel toward the front of the bike, is there play? Can you jiggle it, or is there no slop while still allowing the steering wheel to turn left and right freely.

Warning: I don't know jack. I just post online when I'm bored and think I might have a hunch about something  :chugbeer:

Edit: Seems I was pretty close:

vid

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »
Good vid!

So let me get this straight.  Is the tire that is on the bike now new and you're still getting this problem after it's been changed?  I've had issues in the past and it was the tire, but if you've replaced the tire and the problem continues, it has to be 'mechanical'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:25 AM »
With front tire off ground as Conniesaki said, try to wiggle the wheel. any noticeable free play means bad wheel bearings. For steering bearings the  bars should rotate left to right full lock smoothly with no stiction or notchiness, make sure no cables are interfering. Another thing to check is out of round wheel.

Have the symptoms been the same since you got the bike or started recently?
Did you intstall the wheel yourself or done at a shop? Was your sag work done by a suspension tech?

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Flying Marmot

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »
Symptoms persist with new tires.   On such a low mileage almost new bike the fork oil was my suspicion but neither that or the head bearings seem to be out of ordinary.   The usual damping I use is 4 clicks from fully in clockwise.  Anything between 5-0 jars my hands and bobbles up.  Anything from 6-15 is mushy and hard to control in corners with underdamped feel. I’ll keep everyone posted after I change tires back to PR4 GT @42psi.   
Thanks for tips above.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:46 AM »
I've never heard of the Connie doing the hands off bar shake. Something's amiss.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:58 AM »
I had it once on the C10 but it was a tire.  Went away when I changed it out.  Would sometimes get into a tank slapper on deceleration.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.