Author Topic: C14/C10 DIY 12V LED waterproof worklight.... FRUGAL!  (Read 3083 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
C14/C10 DIY 12V LED waterproof worklight.... FRUGAL!
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Posted in C14 forum, thought you guys may like the $20 deal too:

OK so some boys told me about this mad sale on amazon, "$20 bux to your door" for bright waterproof 12V LED work lights.  Perfect, been wanting a low wattage bright worklight for my C14 for quite some friggin' time.

So, I ordered the "60 flood".  Although they have several on sale for the cheap.  Here is the one I ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WWIV3O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*1200 Lumens Latest design, 2013 model LED light as shown with advanced 27W LED output using 9 x 3W CREE type LED Chipsets.
    *Genssi (TM) - 3W LEDs x 9pcs in Each Ultra Bright - See Pictures Black Finish for long lasting durablity Low weight Aluminum housing+ Steel
    *Listing is for one light Lense material: PMMA transparent thermoplastic
    *Round Lense and Housing as shown with FLOOD 60 Degree Type Lense output Input voltage: 10V-30V
    *Mounting Bracket: Stainless Steel Size: 110mm x 55mm x 128mm 30,000 Life Operation LED light output 6000K Current Draw: 2A @12V, .9A @ 24V Waterproof rated IP 67

Now, I want it to work on my C14 cigarette 12V port (or truck when I have the KTM out or on a trip and may need under the hood lighting.

So I gather a scrap 12V plug and cut the end of, enough old speaker wire to go about 3 truck lengths, some heat shrink tubing, soldier, and the FRUGAL waterproof work light. 

Here is my junk:

And here it is after my cutting, stripping, soldering and heat shrinking is done.  I also used a multimeter and "ohmed out" to make sure my 12V and grounds were correct.

And here is working with garage dark, its plugged into the 12V outlet of the Connie14 (engine off). Its so bright I'd back it up if i was really working on a bike/car/tent with it.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: C14/C10 DIY 12V LED waterproof worklight.... FRUGAL!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »
Man, the prices on those sure have dropped.  I spend $70 each for a pair of similar lights, though mine are the "spot" beam.  Fantastic for lighting up the road, but the produce a LOT of glare for oncoming drivers.  I have to keep them pointed lower than I'd like.  Most of the glare seems to come from that reflector-type part of the glass lens.  (Between the focusing lenses)

Great idea as a portable work light, though. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »
Man, the prices on those sure have dropped.  I spend $70 each for a pair of similar lights, though mine are the "spot" beam.  Fantastic for lighting up the road, but the produce a LOT of glare for oncoming drivers.  I have to keep them pointed lower than I'd like.  Most of the glare seems to come from that reflector-type part of the glass lens.  (Between the focusing lenses)

Great idea as a portable work light, though.

yeah the $20 is what amazed me.  I expect soon we'll see these on riding lawn mowers and everything else running on 12V.  I almost bought the 30 degree, but for what I'm using it for the "flood" pattern is best
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »
Hey Steve, that could come in handy in the Keys this weekend.

Nice find.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)