Author Topic: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe  (Read 29129 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »
I am tentatively planning another CC 50 from Rye, NY to Ocean Shores, WA in early June. I will be making the trip but am not absolutely committed to the CC 50 yet. But I wanted to let everyone know because it seems to be a real crowd pleaser and I will again have SPOT with me to broadcast my progress (or lack thereof) in real-time. I will also be using the exact same route out, basically I-80 to Omaha, NE, then I-29 north to Sioux Falls, SD, followed by a left turn onto I-90 all the way to the coast. I again will start the ride from RI but begin the timed portion in Rye as that is the last point I will be on the Atlantic coast. In fact I will again be stopping at Kirby lane for the sample of Atlantic water for the obvious humorous reason.

I think this time I will send the "OK" message when I stop so everyone can see when / where I start the timed run. That seemed to be a point of confusion last time. It will also leave me a great record (hopefully) of my fuel stop locations.

As always, please feel free to point and laugh should I wuss out and stop before finishing. Let's face it, it is a simple ride composed of only a couple of turns and only two days of riding.

I will post a link to my Spotwalla page after I reactivate SPOT and set up the trip page.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
Re: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
No dehydration this time around?

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
I PROMISE I wont leave the scene until Brian leaves (Ocean Shores that is).  Should there be another sandy CDA I shall be there to assist in the picture taking opportunity ;)

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »
 :thumbs:
COG 9250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
Nutz!!!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
He walks that fine line between genius and somewhat less than sane thought.

When suddenly...he somehow thought that doing a CC50, a second time, is a good idea.

Good luck Brian, and possibly Kirby. (that is, if he can find a way to stow away).
COG 9250

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
Hmmmm- You with a bad back, me with a bad brain (and everything else by then)... that ought to be a great sight! I was probably better off with those healthy women and girls lifting the bike.  :D  Good thinkin' on the photo though, that would truly be something to savor, mostly the look on my face I suspect.

I am having a hard time getting psyched up for this one; too many things on my plate at the moment I guess. I have to scurry up a new rear tire and an auxiliary fuel tank in the next week and a half. The tire on the bike is fine and would almost certainly make it but I don't want to run any more risk of a flat than necessary and new sneakers just inspire more confidence.

Brian

I PROMISE I wont leave the scene until Brian leaves (Ocean Shores that is).  Should there be another sandy CDA I shall be there to assist in the picture taking opportunity ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
Well, maybe not so much. Thinking back, I think that is what bit me on the last trip. I will make more of an effort to stay hydrated this time although it will probably be cooler this time too- the last ride had an entire day and evening of temps. in the 80's which was a little warm in my gear, especially stopped on the highway passing Chicago.

Brian

No dehydration this time around?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:32 AM »
My hat is off to you Brian but man, you're crazy!     :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
It isn't really so far- you would not hesitate to ride your bike 3 miles, would you? Well just thing of my ride as a bunch of 3 mile rides strung together.

;D

Brian

My hat is off to you Brian but man, you're crazy!     :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »
Look me up this time Brian when you're in the PNW.  :chugbeer:

I'd meet you up at Chet's but it's kind of a long ride....  ;D ;)

Safe travels bro!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Wow....   looking forward to following this event once again!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
It isn't really so far- you would not hesitate to ride your bike 3 miles, would you? Well just thing of my ride as a bunch of 3 mile rides strung together.

;D

Brian

Yep, you're right. It's exactly the same only different.   Good luck to you Sir!     :hail:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:54 AM »

;D

Brian
Yup!  About 1000 of em ;)

Offline farrider2

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »
Good luck - it's a great run. Planning gas stops do help.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
Wow....   looking forward to following this event once again!

+1!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
top~
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
OK, I'll ask the question, WHY?  You've already done it once, so why do it again, instead of something similar or different this time?  Or are you trying to prove to yourself you can do it without falling over at the end?  ;)    An even better trial would be to do it in the opposite direction, West to East.

Given how much great stuff there is to see by motorcycle while crossing this country, and especially around the PNW, I would think there is merit in "smelling the flowers" along the way, as the saying goes.  Or at least saving enough of yourself to ride around the NW on the bike when you get here (or is that part of the plan?).  Once you make it to the Rockies, there are some pretty amazing roads that are not Interstate Highways.

Either way, I wish you well, and a safe journey if you do it.  Maybe this time more of us can meet up with you, if you do come out this way.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Well, perhaps I can answer that question: the goal of the trip is to end up in Tacoma, WA, rather than a CC 50 in and of itself. I am simply taking the opportunity (and it truly is an opportunity on several different levels) to squeeze in a bike ride and further, to squeeze in a CC 50. I like long distance riding anyway and this particular ride is nothing short of spectacular IMO.

The US is a fantastic piece of real estate, and I have had, as most of us on this forum have had, the good fortune to live here (born and bred American). It is a large country with several major terrain, climate and area types between the coasts; all of them striking in their own ways. To help this ride along, some really great people have literally paved the way west with a terrific highway system that IMO outdoes the legendary Autobahn (been there, done that). Couple all of that with a great infrastructure that provides ample fuel, food and about anything else one could need all along the way and it adds up to a potentially great trip. Doing it in two days is an experience in itself, and the whole things kind of runs together in my memory (OK, a bit of a blur) and that somehow makes the trip even better. It reminds me of that Russian comic who had the tag- line 'what a country'. Imagine, riding on the back of a great motorcycle, wearing excellent gear (both providing great comfort), on some of the world's finest roadway systems, through four time zones and having two sunrises and two sunsets over your shoulder- what could be better? I guess I could answer your question with another question: who would not take such an opportunity? Like it says in the song.... 'from sea to shining sea'.

The certification is just icing on the cake. It is just a marker for a certain level of performance, nothing spectacular or even great. But it is nice to have the certificate to go along with the vials of water.

I am doing the ride east- to- west because I will be the most rested and in the best shape leaving when leaving home on this trip. I will not be as well rested when leaving the west coast. Also, the ride west starts from a congested, harder riding area thick with 'forest rats' (whitetail deer) and travels into very open country with far less critters to get in the way. And of course should I blow the ride west, trying a CC 50 on the way out gives me one more chance to try the same thing heading east although I do not know if I would even attempt it for the reasons listed above.

Addressing the endurance part: that is a very individual thing and is more or less difficult based on the person. I can stay fairly alert and able for long periods of time although I would certainly not say I was 100% at the end of that last ride. Still, I believe I am able to perform sufficiently to keep a reasonably safe operating level.

Finally, the really hard part of the question: why? Again, it is a marker or a challenge to complete, sort of like running in a marathon or a triathlon. I read one time 'The question is not 'How far will you go' but rather 'Will you go as far as it takes' ' that strikes a chord with me and I find to ring true; you are not finished until you reach the end, whatever the end means in context (mountain climbing, running or bicycling long distances, even the early boxing matches where there were no round limits and you had to 'toe the line'). A CC 50 is also attractive because it is ultra simple; the rules can be written in a sentence or two without a lot of limits as there often are in other forms of competition or endurance tests.

I certainly am not really going to try to avoid the 'fall over' on the Pacific beach either as that was without a doubt the funniest part of the entire trip- even at the moment it happened. So here is hoping that 1) I can drop the bike on the same side again and 2) I can find three or so more of that same caliber of human who lifted the bike back up the first time and 3) that I have the presence of mind to at least get those people's first names.

This is a photo of me taken just outside the convenience store where I bought a bottle of water to mark the end of the timed portion of my trip; the strain is obvious but I am still standing on my hind legs and still able to pretend I can read. :-) 

Brian

OK, I'll ask the question, WHY?  You've already done it once, so why do it again, instead of something similar or different this time?  Or are you trying to prove to yourself you can do it without falling over at the end?  ;)    An even better trial would be to do it in the opposite direction, West to East.

Given how much great stuff there is to see by motorcycle while crossing this country, and especially around the PNW, I would think there is merit in "smelling the flowers" along the way, as the saying goes.  Or at least saving enough of yourself to ride around the NW on the bike when you get here (or is that part of the plan?).  Once you make it to the Rockies, there are some pretty amazing roads that are not Interstate Highways.

Either way, I wish you well, and a safe journey if you do it.  Maybe this time more of us can meet up with you, if you do come out this way.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »
Update: Still moving along making progress in getting the bike ready. Off tonight to look for an aux. fuel tank (something in the 2 1/2 or 3 gallon range) to strap onto the bike, along with flashlight batteries and fresh SPOT batteries for my wife and any of you who care to look in on the trip.  :D  I have a second GPS ready and tested but not installed on the bike yet, and I have to install a USB female outlet on the USB supply already on the bike so I can charge the cell phone on the way (see- I can learn from previous mistakes). I still plan on foraging for fuel / liquids / food along the way without any plan in place; it is impossible to predict the range of a tank of fuel due to weather and headwinds so planning fuel stops on a trip this long is a waste of time IMO.

The route will be the same as last time- RI (home) to Rye, NY where I will pick up fuel and a time stamped receipt that will start the clock for the trip. Then across the Tappan Zee bridge (across the Hudson), west on I-287 until hitting I-80, then I-80 west until turning north onto I-29 in Iowa, into South Dakota and finally turning west again onto I-90 for the great majority of the trip. After clearing Snoqualmie pass in the last edge of the Rockies, a mix of highway and secondary roads to the coast. I will post a photo of the route along with a link to my SpotWalla page before I go.

This time I will get a message back to everyone about where and what time I actually start the timed run; last time there was a lot of confusion about that. I will try to leave an "I'm fine" message on SPOT, and maybe give Kirby a call and have him post where and when the run actually started although the little guy is cranky he can't go along.... again.

Brian