Author Topic: Facebook.... I don't get it.  (Read 20388 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Facebook.... I don't get it.
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
Jim, you may not be (violating privacy), but it can be violated my someone.  It is the internet, afterall.  FB isn't just open to the public, it can be about as private as one wants, nothing on the net is ever %100 private...  We are not an all inclusive club, anyone who googles a ZG question will end up on our forum.  FB is another source for information exchange, it can be abused, and often is.  But, isn't that the beauty of the First Amendment?  Each FB member in essence creates their very own forum, allowing or disallowing members into their mini world, each of us become Rick.   

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »
I agree with everyone who suggests don't share politics.  I'd like to suggest don't share ANYTHING negative.  Your friends, family, colleagues, fellow students, and acquaintances (car clubs, professional organizations, etc) use social media daily.

most EVERYONE is on social media, and the numbers are shrinking of those who don't use it.this 2010 chart doesn't even accurately portray the market penetration.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »
Whew! That was closes. FIFY.

Brian

<snip>

.... penetration. (Easy Boys!).

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
So, I ask this, what is the difference between FB and a forum?  The above definition is an opinion, not fact.

Can't really dispute that, I guess (or won't, at any rate...)

Taken literally, your statement that FB is like a forum is basically correct... With the caveat being that the range of topics is (thankfully) much more limited (usually  ;)) by a general consensus.

I don't think anyone would dispute the following statement : "There is a GREAT deal of "narcissism, self-pity and voyeurism" on FB."  (Although this too, may just be my opinion.)

I guess I had always assumed (or hoped) that the signal-to-noise ratio was a bit more favourable in 'here' though... 

That may be my mistake - but I've been wrong before.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
You have to ride a bike for me to hang out with you. Period.

That's not a requirement on Faceplant, so I have no use for it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »
You have to ride a bike for me to hang out with you. Period.

That's not a requirement on Faceplant, so I have no use for it.

That's exactly the difference. Most forums are about a particular interest and FB is everything. But there are interest specific stuff in FB.

My interests are MC's, my family, my friends, taildragger pilots, green chile and a couple of other things. Since there aren't any forums just for my family, I use FB. Also, probably other taildragger pilot forums out there but one in particular on FB I like a lot. Very similar to this forum.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
The riding groups on FB have absorbed the "local" MC forums in many of the larger cities.  And they are either open or closed groups/members and some allow "guest" ghost veiwers, actually they are forums with FB as the host app.

Facebook and Twitter are absorbing most of the internet users of this generation.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Agreed- that is why I joined and poked around (Easy Boys!) in the first place- it is the future and I think we will all have to participate to some degree.

Remember the title of this thread: I don't get it, that does not mean I do not believe it is popular or will not become a necessity at some point. I don't get a lot of things, that does not mean they are not popular.  ;)

Brian

The riding groups on FB have absorbed the "local" MC forums in many of the larger cities.  And they are either open or closed groups/members and some allow "guest" ghost veiwers, actually they are forums with FB as the host app.

Facebook and Twitter are absorbing most of the internet users of this generation.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
^^^likewise my friend. I've almost become comfortable with FB.  I'm still rather close-minded to twitter but one day I'll come around  :-X

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
like others mostly for family and freinds i dont see much, other than that i dont typically post about every bowel movement or worthless thought up there in my head.

At work we just had a seminar about social media.....like they want us to use facebook...great more people in corporate america wasting the day away.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
A long time ago, my brother- in- law said that TV was the greatest mechanism ever built to waste man's time (and he is an E.E. so not opposed to TV or a luddite). And I think that was true then..... but now there is texting and F.B.. Good to know the the blame is not on TV anymore.   

:rotflmao:

Brian (who has "LIKE" stickers all over his TV)

like others mostly for family and freinds i dont see much, other than that i dont typically post about every bowel movement or worthless thought up there in my head.

At work we just had a seminar about social media.....like they want us to use facebook...great more people in corporate america wasting the day away.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:57 AM »
Can't really dispute that, I guess (or won't, at any rate...)

Taken literally, your statement that FB is like a forum is basically correct... With the caveat being that the range of topics is (thankfully) much more limited (usually  ;)) by a general consensus.

I don't think anyone would dispute the following statement : "There is a GREAT deal of "narcissism, self-pity and voyeurism" on FB."  (Although this too, may just be my opinion.)

I guess I had always assumed (or hoped) that the signal-to-noise ratio was a bit more favourable in 'here' though... 

That may be my mistake - but I've been wrong before.

Jamie

+1 on the signal-to-noise ratio.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »
Now with that said, I am actually working on a blog called 'Kirby's Korner' for my web page. I guess that could be either pathetic or humorous and it is up to each one of us to decide which I figure.

Brian
Does it have to be one or the other?   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157