Author Topic: Which Battery Does Connie Use?  (Read 8794 times)

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Which Battery Does Connie Use?
« on: July 26, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »
Remind me what battery our Connies use. my Kawi dealer lists two different ones. Should have know better than to trust they would know anything. Should have asked here first.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Which Battery Does Connie Use?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
odyssey PC545....with a piece of styrofoam under it.

or a 12v18ah"Y" series batt.

book doesn't callout specific pn for the yuasa replacement...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
Thanks. I knew I'd get the answer here.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
I don't know if this link will take you there but go to Yuasa's website and do a search. http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.php?action=showListing

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
Walmart no longer carries or even lists the conny (C10 that is) I went there a couple days ago and pulled my battery in the parking lot (which was their brand BTW "EverStart")  but after some digging thru boxes and a few mintues with my smart phone I found a message from a walmart guy stating they don't carry it nor do they have a substitute.

both Autozone and Advanced Auto list it AND carry it... not as cheep as walmart... but now I have a new battery :)
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline yamahakaw

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
How much is a battery for Connie ?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
I used the yuasa site to find the correct choices and went to amazon and bought the yuasa agm for like $85 and couldnt be happier. 

If ur running stic coils get a high quality battery because the normal maintenance type just doesnt cut it when the battery becomes weak.   

I have had my bike nearly 26 years and always kept the batteries until they wouldnt turn over the engine.  the mnt type battery i just replaced would turn over engine fine but was hard to start.  Wierd but read the stics were meant for fuel inj bikes and optimal fuel/air mixtures so dint need as hot of spark, or something like that.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
Maybe we'll see a rush of people converting back from stick coils to the stock setup. ;)
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
Maybe we'll see a rush of people converting back from stick coils to the stock setup. ;)

Hah!  Fat chance.................
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:08 AM »
I used the yuasa site to find the correct choices and went to amazon and bought the yuasa agm for like $85 and couldnt be happier. 

If ur running stic coils get a high quality battery because the normal maintenance type just doesnt cut it when the battery becomes weak.   

I have had my bike nearly 26 years and always kept the batteries until they wouldnt turn over the engine.  the mnt type battery i just replaced would turn over engine fine but was hard to start.  Wierd but read the stics were meant for fuel inj bikes and optimal fuel/air mixtures so dint need as hot of spark, or something like that.

Actually this was a common and long standing issue with the Concours long before the stick coil conversion became popular... Can't tell you how many threads I've read here in the last 14 years here that went a little like this "Bike spins over fine but is hard to start"....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »
Got my last one from Advance Auto online purchase with instore pickup = 20% discount
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »
Does the Yuasa AGM battery fit "snuggly" in the battery box? My Yuasa "standard" battery (not maintenance free) needs "spacers" of varying material to snug the battery in the battery box. I'm going to need a battery soon as this one is five or six years old. Also, does a Battery Tender trickle charger work ok on the AGM batteries?

Thanx,
Bob Young

Offline Summit670

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
I believe even the OEM battery needed spacers.  Don't recall.  No big deal as something always comes shipped in a box with those packing foam blocks and I cut out what I need.

I just installed an AGM Yuasa and I don't recall any concern with fitment.  The battery measurements are available for most batteries so you could compare to what you have to see if you'll need spacers.

As far as the Battery Tender, I can't say for certain but my 20+ year old Battery Tender showed red when I plugged it in after the bike had sat for a few weeks and stayed Red for at least a minute or more but I'm not sure how long.  It was green when I checked it hours later so that is promising.

My BT just goes to green when I plug in my other cycle with an AGM, but maybe that bike doesn't draw down the battery like the my Concours always seem to after sitting for more than a few weeks.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 01:10:50 AM »
a BT is a secondary mainteneance device, it will not fully deep charge a battery...

never believe the green light.

it ain't got amps, just volts.... and volts don't mean squat.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
I think it is a sign that I need to replace my battery too. I put it on the charger last night and this morning the green light was blinking instead of solid green. Yes, it seems to start fine but I have a feeling it is on its way out. I think I mentioned this issue with the battery in a much earlier post.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
Ok, I haven't used my bike for a couple of weeks an placed it on the charger yesterday evening. The light still shows a steady red after 24 hours. I would say it is toast. I am looking at a Motocross AGM battery. They are made by Yuasa. They are about $75.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
I finally got my battery in on Tues and installed it yesterday. I almost forgot what a good battery is like when starting the bike. The starter was strong and fast. Love it. Finally drove for the first time in awhile today.