Author Topic: OK - Why do all my bikes eventually have an intermittent electrical problem?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
You're just gently drilling (grinding) off/out the melted plastic mushroom - it will make sense if you look at yours.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
Well,...  The solder joints at the relays actually look pretty good, but the board itself and the joints at the fuse holders themselves look a little suspect.  I'm going to reflow everything anyway, but...

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Your wafer looks to have corrosion.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
FYI - there is a j-box in the "For Sale" section right now.....
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
Your wafer looks to have corrosion.
yeah - thinking about soldering on a wire or two at the joints for now until I can find a new board, I guess.

I'll have to look into that J box for sale, too.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
It's usually a futile endeavor. It is better to buy a new/good used jbox at this point.

But since you have come this far you can try your thing.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
It's usually a futile endeavor. It is better to buy a new/good used jbox at this point.

But since you have come this far you can try your thing.

yeah - I figure it can't hurt - it's already apart on my table.

EDIT:  The wires didn't ruin it, so there's that.  The bike fired right up after re-installation.  But since it's an intermittent problem, I won't know if it fixed it unless it goes bad again, or doesn't...lol

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
wow. you work fast. good luck.

let us know how it goes.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
wow. you work fast. good luck.

Lol - don't let the posting times fool ya - It was on my bench for an hour.  That's not too fast for a quick clean, reflowing most of the joints, and attaching two small wires. And I'm still going to buy a new/used box - it's just silly to run a corroded box that's virtually guaranteed to fail eventually.

Offline Leo

When I worked at the shop, the newer bikes with electrical gremlins were the ones where someome else was splicing the factory wiring to add accessories.  The old ones were corrosion.    I resoldered the J boxes on all 4 of mine, never had gremilns after that.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Summit670

A few years back i checked my 87 for solder cracks and noticed quite a few.   Either having cheap solder irons or being electrically challenged, or both, I didnt even try to solder.  Just took the jbox to a tv repair place and 15 minutes later they were done and it looked like new.   Knock on wood, no issues yet. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline nevadazx12

I don't remember where I got the schematic.  I rebuilt my J-box in Aug 2012, with new relays I bought from Jameco Electronics.  For some reason I didn't record what part number it was, but I had to get information on this forum around that date. 

Think I found the thread  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=565.0
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
so, just for closure on the post.  I re-flowed, soldered two wires on the worst offending corrosion, and re-installed.  So far, there has been no repeat of the problem, but as it's an intermittent issue anyway, I won't feel comfortable saying it's solid for 500+ miles.  Also, I went ahead and bought that Jbox for sale elsewhere on the forum and plan on making this jury-rigged one my spare backup emergency box.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
so, reflowing a couple junctions got ya going... I sureley hope you took the time to actually reflow and add solder to all of those relay solder points.   or, maybe you will see them again, after asking why something else is not working... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
so, reflowing a couple junctions got ya going... I sureley hope you took the time to actually reflow and add solder to all of those relay solder points.   or, maybe you will see them again, after asking why something else is not working... ::)
No - bad posting on my part.  I re-flowed ALL the solder joints (well... all but like 3 of the fuses that were perfectly clean and fine), but went and ALSO ran two wires where corrosion of the board looked very bad.  But as I said, this one is going to become a back up to the one I just bought from another forum member today.  Can't see the point running this box for very long with all that corrosion on it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
good job, sorry if I sounded flippant, didn't mean it to be offensive.
id wrap the new j box in a baggie, and carry it as a spare, fully loded with correct fuses... and run the old one till it pukes, then swap it. might as well get as many miles on the old one as possible, and its a ten minute fix to swap one out.
ride safe

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
Was there a water leak in your jbox? the corrosion seems excessive.