Author Topic: Has this happened to any of your bag handles?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline tjhess74

Has this happened to any of your bag handles?
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
The picture speaks for itself! I had no idea this was a two piece design until this happened.  I tried to reattach it, but that fix failed, so the handle piece is gone.  I'm contemplating seeing if the warranty will cover the latch replacement...and then again, I'm contemplating forgetting it ever happened.

'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline DaddyFlip

Re: Has this happened to any of your bag handles?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Is that broken plastic or adhesive that let go?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:24:51 PM »
Have never seen or heard of that happening before.  And we have lots and lots of posts (and I seem to have been exposed to most of them :) )

First time for everything, I suppose.

I am going to guess that should be covered by warranty, although they might claim it was abused (like someone tried to force it open while it was locked).  Certainly worth a try (especially when you find out how much it will cost to replace all of that stuff).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 05:18:45 AM »
What year bike and how many miles?  And no, never seen nor heard of this one before.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
'08, 80k miles. It's an adhesive that broke loose.  The adhesive itself was very gummy, almost tar like. I can't imagine how it held this long being that soft.  This is the bag I use a couple of times a day, so I don't know if it was just wear, but I'm not hard on the bike in any way.

I'm just so over my local dealers, so I'm less than enthused about visiting them.  I wonder what excuse they will come up with this time about how they don't want to cover it...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
I'd put it back on with JB Quick. Very good epoxy that dries in about 5 minutes. Works well on plastics.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:25:31 AM »
There is an epoxy that is just for plastic. Very strong stuff.
Just scrub off the old junk first.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »
'08, 80k miles. It's an adhesive that broke loose.  The adhesive itself was very gummy, almost tar like. I can't imagine how it held this long being that soft.  This is the bag I use a couple of times a day, so I don't know if it was just wear, but I'm not hard on the bike in any way.

I'm just so over my local dealers, so I'm less than enthused about visiting them.  I wonder what excuse they will come up with this time about how they don't want to cover it...

You are not under factory 3yr warranty unless you purchased your 2008 model brand new in late 2013 (sat in the showroom over 5 years). If you have an aftermarket warranty then you need to investigate the details because they are not all the same.

for all the hassle that making a warranty claim entails, I would just re-adhere it myself unless I was too concerned about gumming up the mechanism and REALLY breaking it and making it unusable
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »
You are not under factory 3yr warranty unless you purchased your 2008 model brand new in late 2013 (sat in the showroom over 5 years).
This is not correct.  One can extend the Concours 1400 factory warranty for 6 more years, for a total of 9 (so a 2008 could be covered through 2016).  And the coverage is exactly the same as the original warranty.  This is ONLY available from Kawasaki on the Concours (one of the many things that makes it perhaps Kawasaki's highest-end bike when it comes to value and reliability).

If you have an aftermarket warranty then you need to investigate the details because they are not all the same.
I do not recommend aftermarket warranties, especially since the factory one can be had so cheaply:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0  Aftermarket ones have zero Kawasaki backing, are often way overpriced, are often extremely limited, and are usually only good at a single dealership.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
I believe I'm correct that he is not under 3 year factory warranty, he said 2008 with 80k mile on the clock. unless he works weekends that's a round trip of ~100 miles 5 days a week for 3 years. And time has passed since 2008.

I will check out that warranty looks like a steal
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
I believe I'm correct that he is not under 3 year factory warranty, he said 2008 with 80k mile on the clock. unless he works weekends that's a round trip of ~100 miles 5 days a week for 3 years. And time has passed since 2008.

True, but a 9 year warranty would be in 2016 sometime- so it depends on when he bought it in 2008 (if he did get the extensions).

Absolutely

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »

If you plan to keep the bike, I highly suggegegeest it for sure... you have to have a current valid warranty in effect tho, so don't let yours expire...
Well spent money, and if you sell, it transfers to new owner...

TJ
Clean all the goo off using a dremel and maybe acetone first, then abrade it,  yty some old fashioned airplane /model cement out on a test area, and see if it softens the plastic, I have a feeling the plastic in the bag latch parts are actually a styrene based ploymer, and not pur ABS like the old conni had...
Can't hurt to try... I assume the latch was a warranty replacement upgraded one also, correct?
I think they were pressed for time when they had to answer to the latch issue, I know I was on their back monthly during that period, talking with the tech staff. They gave me the old Scotty line "Aye Captain, were going as fast as we can sir.... but were run in low on Dilithium crystals...."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
As was mentioned in the original post, the separated handle piece is long gone...somewhere on I-26 I would imagine.  I did clean it and use a plastic epoxy, but that failed...also mentioned in the original post.  It was the same epoxy holding my fenda extenda on for several years now! Who knows...

As for the warranty, I am still good until March of 2017, as I have purchased the consecutive GTPP warranties. They are good warranties. If you don't have it, get it...if it's not too late for you!

Wow, I'm shocked that I'm seemingly the first to have this issue! The latch still works fine, so I don't know if it's worth messing with.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 06:50:32 AM »
Definitely haven't heard nor seen that one before.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »
It happened to me, latch assy is very expensive so i get a used one from a member of the forum for $25.00 shiped and used just the missing cover and glued with a epoxic
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Update: GTPP is covering the latch assembly. It's on order and should be getting replaced soon.  That was pretty painless, I'm wondering what's going to go wrong!

On another note, I just discovered today some wet spots on my rear wheel.  Took it off and I believe I have the Final Drive leak.  So, I'll be petitioning the warranty once more...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
thank goodness for the KPP extensions..... mine finally dropped out of the last extension this month.... noww I'm skeeeeered.....

Oh well, its been fine so far, and I never had a warrenty on the '86 I bought in '03... lord knows I spent $$ on that biotch, and COGZilla.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 02:50:42 PM »
MOB, I hear ya! I've got until May with mine and I think this is the last one.  After that, I'm flying solo!

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Ok, the parts came in under warranty and were installed. I just picked up the bag and was told that the lock cylinders are not interchangable.  >:(  So, now I have two keys, one for each saddlebag. The new latch came with two keys, identical to ones that fit in the fob. 

They said the latch assembly was riveted together, which is why the lock cylinder couldn't be removed. But, I might see if I can dig into it a little further than what they were allowed to.  Worst case scenario, I'll have an extra bag key to carry around. First world problems.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
That's interesting....
Seeing as all of us that had the latch recall didn't get new keys.... they swapped the cylinders...
I'm betting dealers tech just was a bit "cluless" and should have read their tech sheet on retrofitting the recall latches, which explained the process for lock swap...

Doh.....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15118.msg184707#msg184707

Sooo call them, make sure they have your latches, bring in the printout of the PDF, biotchslap everyone on the way to the tech, biotch slap him x3, and have them put your common seat and ignition keyed latches you had in the bags, and say sayonara... biotch..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:59:57 PM by MAN OF BLUES »