Author Topic: 2 minute mod jetting and your local mechanic  (Read 15866 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
2 minute mod jetting and your local mechanic
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
    I have had 2 contacts this year from guys who I have done carbs for that ended up bringing the carbs to their local mechanic because they couldn't get the carbs to run right. In each case, the local mechanic determined that I had installed improperly sized main jets. The repair was to upsize the main jet and charge the owner a bunch of money. In one case the owner contacted me while the bike was still in the shop, and the mechanic refused to speak with me (so I could explain the need for the 2 minute mod foam) and I could hear him screaming in the background that I'm an idiot and wrecked the carbs.   :P :P

So PLEASE, if I do your carbs - understand that the foam blockage is INTEGRAL and NECESSARY to the performance of the carbs. you cannot leave the block out and expect the carbs to function. the air / fuel ratio of intake opening and jetting has been carefully developed on a dyno and using a WBO2 sensor. The jetting in the carbs is correct; follow the instructions and you'll be impressed!

Also remember that your mechanic has never seen this type of jetting before, so if you bring him your poorly running bike, no foam in the intake, or expect HIM to read the instructions I sent, you're going to be in for one expensive lesson.

I'm not sure why this has happened 2x this year, I haven't heard this complaint in some time. Of course I have provided many you tube video's on airbox repair, tuning, syncing, etc. I also do product support and I care about each person's success with my products. I don't know why these guys chose not to contact me when they first had issues, but that's beyond my control.

Please, I know as men we don't need instructions or to read directions (I'm as bad as anyone) . And don't expect your mechanic to read the directions... he's a man too. But if it looks like it's going to cost you extra money, maybe that's the time to read the directions. The money you save will be your own   8) 8)  Steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: 2 minute mod jetting and your local mechanic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
Steve,

Everything that goes around comes around once again... Think of Haley's Comet!

That is why you are hearing of this again, simply because it has not been an issue for a while....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »
Steve,

Everything that goes around comes around once again... Think of Haley's Comet!

That is why you are hearing of this again, simply because it has not been an issue for a while....

you're right T, it's a new group of guys, maybe they really haven't read the stuff on my website, etc. I'm trying to get ahead of this happening again, which is why I posted it up. thanks - steve

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
Steve,

Perhaps you should put a black box warning in the literature you send back with the carbs.

Or include a pre-printed page for customers to show local mechanics if they happen to take it in or decide to sell the bike in the future. just a FYI on what you have done and your contact info.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
After some long wide open runs my foam got sucked in. The bike was running like crap and it took me a while to figure out why. Once you know the symptoms it is easy to diagnose/fix.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
Oh sh!t. That can happen? I don't see how my foam can get sucked in.

After some long wide open runs my foam got sucked in. The bike was running like crap and it took me a while to figure out why. Once you know the symptoms it is easy to diagnose/fix.
Wayne

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
Steve,

Perhaps you should put a black box warning in the literature you send back with the carbs.

Or include a pre-printed page for customers to show local mechanics if they happen to take it in or decide to sell the bike in the future. just a FYI on what you have done and your contact info.

DC, I send the carbs back with an instruction sheet. I have done piles of video's. I instruct, by email to use the instructions and videos and to  let me know if there's any Q's or issues. The forums have piles of guys who know how the system works. Short of packaging little Steve's with every set of carbs, I'm at a loss of how I can further help folks be successful... at some point, as a consumer, you need to read the instructions. Steve

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
I hear you Steve. There is not much you can really do.

I have taped a note w/ the current sz of the foam and it's function right on my air box so a shop won't mess with it if they happen to find it.

Most people are stupid and not as anal as us.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »
I never let a shop near mine!

I have taped a note w/ the current sz of the foam and it's function right on my air box so a shop won't mess with it if they happen to find it.

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
Wayne

If this were a "common" occurrence I could see wiring the foam in place....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »
I never let a shop near mine!

All depends on the "Shop" I know of only two shops I have FULL trust in SISF's Shop in FL and Paul Miller's shop in Houma LA; I'd trust that Coonass with any thing that takes sparkplugs.....
Tony P. Crochet

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
If this were a "common" occurrence I could see wiring the foam in place....
[/quote

stick a couple toothpics through the foam, top to bottom. I cut the foam taller / longer now than I did a few years ago, just to prevent the possibility of sucking the foam in or spitting it out. . Steve

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »

A sticker printed with the details and with an aggressive peel-n-stick adhesive would be something to consider (to put on the air box in plain view). These can be made fairly inexpensively out of very rugged materials.

Dan

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
Good idea. Perhaps Steve can do this and add the cost to the service.

I hand wrote mine on a note card and packing taped it on completely waterproof. Seems to be holding up well in heat and rain. But I know it will start flaking off in a year or so.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
A sticker printed with the details and with an aggressive peel-n-stick adhesive would be something to consider (to put on the air box in plain view). These can be made fairly inexpensively out of very rugged materials.

Dan

A little note on the air box cover.  "DON"T ("****")  mess with my air box foam!! ;-(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
Haha. If I was a mechanic and saw a piece of foam restricting air I would remove it. Who the hell restricts air? Only Steve would do that.

Everywhere I read about air filters being more breathable, keep them clean etc., etc. And here comes Steve and throws a monkey wrench into the whole system by inherently making the system less breathable. Doesn't make sense to most. :doh:

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »
As a user and lover of the 2-minute mod kit as well as other of SISF's mods, let me draw your attention to the decal on the right side of the airbox which clearly warns against allowing anything to restrict the airbox inlet.  Perhaps the local mechs are just trying to keep us all out of federal prison for violating the EPA rules.   ;)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.