Author Topic: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe  (Read 29159 times)

Offline okxd45

Re: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 10:07:08 PM »
Are you using one of these?  Might help the dehydration and keep the bike off the sand. ;)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
I was afraid this would happen and sure enough, Kirby is quite cranky about not being able to go along and will probably refuse to post on my behalf while I'm gone. I knew this was coming and could not bear to tell the little fella' in person so I called him on his cell phone.

As I think we can all see by his expression, Kirby was not happy about receiving the news. Poor little guy is still wearing his wrist band from the spring fling.

Andrea will probably post a few blurbs about my start time / place, progress (or lack of progress), etc. Not sure if she will get her own login or just use mine. I have USB power on the bike and the proper adapter cable to charge my cell phone on the trip so I <should> be able to make contact with the outside world. I am also going to try to leave a message each time I fuel up and while the message will show up as a differently colored balloon on SpotWalla, I am not certain that the upload of the message is in real time or locked onto the GPS location that occurs when the message button is pressed. Put another way, SPOT works in 10 minute cycles and I am not sure where / when in that cycle a manual message gets uploaded. I believe it is in real- time but am not certain.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Well, perhaps I can answer that question: ...

<snip>

Brian

OK, I understand.  I was thinking of the CC50 strictly in the context of a personal achievement / accomplishment, not as a competition / sporting event.

When I've done something, like climbing one of our local mountains (i.e. Mt Adams - 12,324 ft.), the first time was to say I did it.  The second time was because I was asked to go by people that had never done the climb, and wanted to go with someone that had.  I had no interest in doing the climb again after the first time (been there, done that), but was happy to go the second time when asked.  Now put me on a sled, and I'll climb to the top every weekend.  ;D

I will re-iterate my earlier statement though, that I hope you save enough of yourself to do a little riding while you're here.  There are some fantastic roads to ride around here, like the loop around Mt. Rainer for example, or the ride up to Mt. St. Helens, that I think are just too good to pass up for anyone that's never done them.

Good luck on your ride, be safe, and don't forget to drink lots of water along the way!

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline okxd45

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
Speaking of hydration.......Kirby.......well, he's looking a little dehydrated himself. Less Jack and more water Kirby! :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the positive sentiment.

By the way, as the destination is such a big part of this ride I may not have been clear or even mentioned that this will be my last CC 50 and the opportunity will not present itself again. The person I am going to visit in Tacoma will be moving away from the area before Sept. of this year so Tacoma will no longer be an end point of any trips in the future. I am grabbing this opportunity in large part simply because it is the last time it will be available.

I liked the Pacific Northwest area- it looks surprisingly like New England in many ways. I do not have any plans at all for the time I will be out there. The real treat for me on the entire trip last time was making a high pass through the Rockies at Beartooth Pass. I was so impressed with that piece of America that I am coming back the exact same way and we worked for quite a while to find a way for Andrea (my wife) to make the partial trip east from Tacoma through Yellowstone and Beartooth pass. In the end we had to abandon that idea due to the logistics of her flying out of a regional airport and home, the uncertainly of the weather (no flexibility in the time through the Rockies with a plane ride prearranged) and she having not done such long distances in such a short time before (650 + mile days). But I am certainly looking forward to making the park and the pass again, and a quick stop by Devil's Tower.

Brian

OK, I understand.  I was thinking of the CC50 strictly in the context of a personal achievement / accomplishment, not as a competition / sporting event.

When I've done something, like climbing one of our local mountains (i.e. Mt Adams - 12,324 ft.), the first time was to say I did it.  The second time was because I was asked to go by people that had never done the climb, and wanted to go with someone that had.  I had no interest in doing the climb again after the first time (been there, done that), but was happy to go the second time when asked.  Now put me on a sled, and I'll climb to the top every weekend.  ;D

I will re-iterate my earlier statement though, that I hope you save enough of yourself to do a little riding while you're here.  There are some fantastic roads to ride around here, like the loop around Mt. Rainer for example, or the ride up to Mt. St. Helens, that I think are just too good to pass up for anyone that's never done them.

Good luck on your ride, be safe, and don't forget to drink lots of water along the way!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
Here is the Spot Walla page to follow along on the trip:
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4a754fcce5ca35d7f

The current plan is to start Wednesday morning, 6 June, at some reasonable hour (9:00 AM maybe) and arrive at Ocean Shores, WA on Friday morning. I have configured a custom message for SPOT that I will send each time I get fuel, and the ones in Rye, NY and Ocean Shores or Hoquiam, WA should mark the beginning and end of the trip. The marks will be time- stamped so the time from the fuel stop at Rye, NY will be the actual start of the CC 50. I will be riding from RI to NY but that will not count as part of the trip.

I should be back online sometime Friday unless sleep gets in the way.  ;) 

I will post again in this thread to let everyone know when I am leaving- there is some flexibility in the start time so I can work around weather although it is supposed to rain here for the next week. At least I will know here my rain gear is.... I will be wearing it.

Brian

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
Much respect for sure, no way that I could do that. And I have ADD so I need to really enjoy the scenery and explore. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you on Friday, I'll try to join up around the I90/Hiway18 junction.  I'll track ya, once you are getting close to Ellensburg I'll be on the road.

Guys/gals any special requests from me to/for Brian?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
Good Luck!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
8:30 PM and I am <more or less> ready to go. Still have to do some last minute packing but otherwise the bike and electronics are ready. I will post a final message before I leave and then SPOT will be active.

I should see you on Friday but if I do drop off, you will be have ample warning as SPOT will show me stopped somewhere. If that happens and the location is anywhere near a hotel odds are that I am in a room having a snooze.

Brian

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday, I'll try to join up around the I90/Hiway18 junction.  I'll track ya, once you are getting close to Ellensburg I'll be on the road.

Guys/gals any special requests from me to/for Brian?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
Just be safe, absolutely NO REASON to reprove your fortitude.  I'll meet ya when you get here, heck, I may even have a cup of coffee handy ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:36 AM »
Just be safe, absolutely NO REASON to reprove your fortitude.  I'll meet ya when you get here, heck, I may even have a cup of coffee handy ;D

+1 on that part!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Yeah, not trying to prove anything to anybody. But I hear you on the balance between the desire to finish something and the obvious need to maintain a level of safety. Hopefully I can have both.

Nice thought on the coffee but it could probably be clam juice and I would not notice the difference. :-)

Temp. here is 53F so I will be starting off in heated gear. It is 8:06 AM and I still have to pack personal items on the bike but otherwise am ready to go. Looking for a start between 9 and 10 AM. I have to stop first thing and get fuel- that will happen another 17 times or at least it did last year. SPOT will be active within an hour or so. 'See' everybody here in a couple of days.

Brian

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:32 AM »
Wow 53 degrees in June? And I'm planning a Maine/Canada ride in a few weeks from scorching FL....
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »
Steve, it's been VERY cool in the mornings in my neck of the woods too.

It looks like Brian might be having trouble already.    ;)

In looking at his progress, http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4a754fcce5ca35d7f

It seems that he's riding backwards.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »
Good luck and Godspeed Brian! :)
Jeff

Offline mike

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
Good luck Brian!!   :thumbs:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »
My knees are already aching just thinking about his trip.  It was a low of 43 last night here, it's currently 48 out at 9AM.  Me thinks his trip will end in heated gear, heck I may even be in the 'Bing. 

So, besides his obvious request for clam juice, anyone else have any request/s or suggestions for Brians arrival?  If anyone else local wants to join in the last leg I will be at the underpass at Hiway 18 that is located at the I90 exit, no time yet but this time I want to be early so I aint doing put me in jail speeds to catch him.  So, come on PNW riders, lets give him a nice warm welcome.  If anyone frequents the COG forum, share the plan, I will have a big thermos of coffee and I may even have some donuts on hand :)

Offline andreaF

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
Chet that's so nice....thanks!

I just heard from him...  He's left Rye, NY...he's gotten his Atlantic Water, and a receipt with an official start time of 12:03.....he was telling me all was well, when suddenly.............there was an "uh-oh...fuel tanks loose....gotta go"... :-\   
so hopefull all will be well and it won't slow him down too much!

I'll keep you all posted as I hear from him!

thanks for all your well wishes....

Andrea

Offline okxd45

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
My knees are already aching just thinking about his trip.  It was a low of 43 last night here, it's currently 48 out at 9AM.  Me thinks his trip will end in heated gear, heck I may even be in the 'Bing. 

So, besides his obvious request for clam juice, anyone else have any request/s or suggestions for Brians arrival?  If anyone else local wants to join in the last leg I will be at the underpass at Hiway 18 that is located at the I90 exit, no time yet but this time I want to be early so I aint doing put me in jail speeds to catch him.  So, come on PNW riders, lets give him a nice warm welcome.  If anyone frequents the COG forum, share the plan, I will have a big thermos of coffee and I may even have some donuts on hand :)
Very nice Chet! If I were in the PNW, I would definitely join you!
Jeff