Author Topic: Additional rear lighting  (Read 7742 times)

Offline mtn.connie

Additional rear lighting
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »
I am looking at the Admore light bar for the back of my 2011. It`s 129.00 which is not bad, but wondering if anyone has some other items that I should look at to help prevent me from getting it in the rear...so to speak;) I like options, not to mention farkle shopping. The shopping is half of the fun!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Additional rear lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
I'm adding a pair of Street FX ElectroPods LED brake lights to the inside of both reflectors on the back. Wired into the brake light. Comes with all wiring, looks pretty simple to install (there was a long thread on the old site about doing this, including a video showing how *****BRIGHT***** they are) and at about $25 or $30, pretty decent price.

I figured I'd try this first. The kit is very complete and the price is a lot less than an Admore.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Hyperlites. I like the ability to flash a few times then stay solid. Decent images on their site. http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Rawman

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
AdMore lighting is great!  Nice and bright and much higher up than the stock ones.  I have the run/brake/turn for the Givi V46 and love it.  Now I am not afraid a tractor trailer will run me over for lack of seeing my brake lights.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
Hyperlites. I like the ability to flash a few times then stay solid. Decent images on their site. http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html

Yep- those were my first choice also.  They are expensive, but brighter than Electropods and don't annoyingly flash forever during those times you HAVE to hold the brake at a light to keep from rolling away...

But this Admore bar looks even more interesting (and yet MORE expensive), and three flashes only, which I like even better.  Hmm.  Decisions, decisions...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Makz58

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
AdMore lighting is great!  Nice and bright and much higher up than the stock ones.  I have the run/brake/turn for the Givi V46 and love it.  Now I am not afraid a tractor trailer will run me over for lack of seeing my brake lights.
Where did you get access to your rear turn signal wires?? I am doing the same kit any help greatly appreciated.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
I saw these on ebay when I was looking for something else, haven't used them but they say they are brighter than stock and look to be a direct swap??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-11-Concours-14-ZG14-GTR-LED-Tail-Light-Turn-Signal-C-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3367f0fa51QQitemZ220787178065QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-11-Concours-14-ZG14-GTR-LED-Tail-Light-Turn-Signal-B-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem336798cee5QQitemZ220781399781QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Interesting.  They don't say a whole lot.  I guess I don't see much point in replacing the stock LED light with an LED light.  Although they say it is (supposedly) brighter and does integrate turn signals, that doesn't jive with the "easy installation- no wire matching necessary, plugs in just like stock light".  Looks to me more like something if you were trying to get rid of the stock turn signals (which I think would be crazy).  But it certainly is cheap!  $40!  Makes the $130+ for the Admore seem outrageous, doesn't it?

My objectives would be a non-annoying, nice looking, and reliable setup that provides:

1) More total light
2) A larger  "footprint" of light (more area of light)
3) More effective light (momentarily blink of brake)

So this Ebay one is only good for #1, the  Admore and Hyperlites would meet all three.  Then for the front of the bike.... ug...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
I did the Admore light kit for my Kawi 47 trunk and love it, good quality, install directions, and communication.  :thumbs:

As I said before, I was only posting these as something I saw surfing for something else (smoked blinkers... ;) ) for the op.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:04:22 PM by ZG »

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:16:15 AM »
I'm happy with Admore kit in my E52. I would buy it,again!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rawman

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Where did you get access to your rear turn signal wires?? I am doing the same kit any help greatly appreciated.
VERY easy install.  All the wires you need are under the seat.  I do not like the clamp on style connectors that comes with the kit (posi-tap) so I just cut my wires and soldered them together.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »
Where are you guys mounting them (or thinking about) - assuming not on the trunk or saddlebags?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Where are you guys mounting them (or thinking about) - assuming not on the trunk or saddlebags?

I am thinking about fitting them between my Givi rack and the stock rack if the measurements look like they will work.  I am also thinking about buying the plate bracket and mounting the lights there.  That is a sharp setup.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Darknesses

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
I replaced the rear reflector with a Whelen red LIN3.  It gets everyones attention.  I have it set to most likely illegal for now but it has a setting to strobe a few times and then stay solid.  The whole thing cost me under $75.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »

That is a good question.  One I have been pondering for weeks (I don't have a trunk).  Sometimes when I am not sure about something, I just wait and observe and think... that is the mode I am in right now.  If I get the hyperlites, I am thinking the reflector locations.  If I get a mini lightbar, I am thinking an on-bottom-of-license-plate holder.  I really like the idea of additional lighting on the saddlebags, but I am not thrilled about wires tethering to them.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:08 AM »
I have the hyperlite brake light kit and it is great. I have had people tell me they are VERY noticeable.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
Hyperlites...

Placement...

Running lights...

Brake Lights...

The 2 outer modules blink, which didn't get caught in the pic... they are as bright as the 2 center modules... they do catch the eyes!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Additional rear lighting - Dual Admore Mini light bars
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:55 PM »
I ordered two Admore 8 inch mini light bars from Twisted Throttle which arrived with cracks in the plastic lenses. The Admore packaging was top notch so I doubt they were abused in storage or during shipment. It looked like three of the combined four screws were over torqued and either the cracks were not noticed or didn’t actually appear until after the product was packaged and out of view. Anyway, Admore was quick to respond to my email and I had two new un-cracked plastic lenses in the mail from Canada in less than a week. Admore says “Housed in a sturdy, weatherproof, black polycarbonate case.”, but I wasn’t totally convinced about the “sturdy” part. I mounted them in an aluminum channel assembled from two Home Depot 1½ inch angle extrusions. This should provide some protection, both from the elements, and from me banging into them when walking around the bike. I had considered hanging them under the Givi mounting brackets about even with the plate light, but then I decided that they would be even more protected right under the topcase just above the stock taillight. The higher location might also be more “in the eyes” of the driver behind me. I bent some aluminum bar stock and mounted it on the back of the assembled channel. I then clamped the bar in position and drilled small pilot holes through both the bar stock and the Givi mounting brackets and then enlarged them separately to ¼ inch.  Exclusive of the painted brackets, most of the mounting hardware that came with the light bars was Stainless. I replaced the four ¼-20 bolts that were not stainless, with stainless equivalents and purchased two stainless bolts and acorn nuts to attach the assembly to the Givi brackets. 
Since the LEDs don’t go all the way to the ends of the bars I knew there would be a light- gap in the middle even if the light bars were touching, so I decided to purposely have a  gap between them and just fill it with a red reflector. The gap also made it much easier to get at the inboard end screws of the light bars. The whole assembly measures 18 inches wide. I cut a piece of aluminum to fill the middle gap, and attached a reflector there, and a reflector on each end. The inboard turn signals are only used when I first turn on the bike or when the hazard flashers are on. I accomplished this by putting two 12v relays in series, each activated by opposite turn signal circuits which functions as in an electro-mechanical AND gate to activate the inboard turn signals.  These light bars were not designed to work in pairs yet the initial 3 flashes are fairly well in sync.  Overall I’m happy with the results, I think it is as visually present as if it was a full 18 inch light bar. Admore seems to have excellent customer service, now to see if the mini light bars will hold up and for how long. I think the way that I have mounted them will give them a maximum chance at survival. I'll let you know if they quit working. In the last photo (flash) you'll notice that I disassembled the Givi case and put some silver reflective tape behind the Givi's red plastic in the center rear and on either side. With all that red plastic it really should be much more reflective than it is. I don't understand why Givi doesn't make it that way in the first place.

Edit: Just in case you're interested, the wimpy led brake lights in the Givi case are NOT Admore, they are the ones that Givi installs in their Deluxe case.

edit: Finally added a video. Not very good, which is why I didn't put it up in the first place. If I get a better one I'll come back and replace this one.

https://vimeo.com/55235790

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:21:46 AM by fartymarty »

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »
I bought a plate frame from premier cycles, it works as running lights, brake lights, and turn signals,