Author Topic: C14 Seats: Touring vs Stock dilemma  (Read 2940 times)

Offline jimboni

C14 Seats: Touring vs Stock dilemma
« on: July 04, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
Pretty happy with the Sargent that came on my 12, but I wanted to try the new Kaw touring seat part no 99994-0500. So I ordered one.

I received the new seat but the part no is 53066-0465 (-0464 is also etched on the seat pan). Parts fiches show this as the stock seat from the last couple of model years and the 99994 seat as the accessory touring seat. Two different part numbers and listed in two different sections of the fiche. So I sent that one back and ordered a 99994 seat from another vendor. I received the exact same part no ... a 53066 seat!  Funny though, both seats came in boxes labeled as 99994 touring seats with inner packaging labeled as 53066 seats.

Am I a conspiracy theorist for thinking one of the distributors is trying to unload difficult to sell stock seats, or are these the very same seat but with a different part number?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: C14 Seats: Touring vs Stock dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »
Pretty happy with the Sargent that came on my 12, but I wanted to try the new Kaw touring seat part no 99994-0500. So I ordered one.

I received the new seat but the part no is 53066-0465 (-0464 is also etched on the seat pan). Parts fiches show this as the stock seat from the last couple of model years and the 99994 seat as the accessory touring seat. Two different part numbers and listed in two different sections of the fiche. So I sent that one back and ordered a 99994 seat from another vendor. I received the exact same part no ... a 53066 seat!  Funny though, both seats came in boxes labeled as 99994 touring seats with inner packaging labeled as 53066 seats.

Am I a conspiracy theorist for thinking one of the distributors is trying to unload difficult to sell stock seats, or are these the very same seat but with a different part number?

I think the seats are visibly different on the outside. The touring seat has visible stitching around the  passenger area as well as the front. The the newer stock seat only has visible stitching around the front area. Are there internal differences between the seat pan and the cover that make the touring seat more comfortable? ...or is it the placebo effect making it feel more comfy?
I'm waiting for someone with deep pockets and a band saw to tell us.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »
I have a touring seat, post a picture of the one you received and let’s compare.

Offline jimboni

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Thanks for the descriptive help. I can't seem to get my pics to attach. Comparing the seat to stock photos and the accessory catalog photos, the 53066 "looks" like the 99994 touring seat. Stitching and cover matches. But I do not have a stock seat to compare thickness. The p/n 99994 is nowhere on the seat pan, only the 53066 number.

Regardless, it does not make sense for the same seat to have two different part numbers and Iisted in two different sections of the parts diagrams. Overthinking? Probably. If it weren't such an expensive seat I'd mount it up and try it but then I own it.

Am I wrong to expect factory parts to have only one specific part number?

Offline FTB530

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »
Thanks for the descriptive help. I can't seem to get my pics to attach. Comparing the seat to stock photos and the accessory catalog photos, the 53066 "looks" like the 99994 touring seat. Stitching and cover matches. But I do not have a stock seat to compare thickness. The p/n 99994 is nowhere on the seat pan, only the 53066 number.

Regardless, it does not make sense for the same seat to have two different part numbers and Iisted in two different sections of the parts diagrams. Overthinking? Probably. If it weren't such an expensive seat I'd mount it up and try it but then I own it.

Am I wrong to expect factory parts to have only one specific part number?

Seems to me the seat should only have one part number! A guy was trying to sell a seat on eBay as a Kawasaki touring seat  and it wasn’t one, I,let him know but he left the add up the same.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »
Is the picture that fartymarty posted the same seat you received? That is the Touring  seat, $650 @ Partzilla 😳, they were like $420 when I first looked for one and I bought a used one for $350ish!

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »
If it is comfortable after 100 miles, you have the touring seat. If you feel as if you are a contestant on the new hit reality series, "A$$ Torture Survivor," then you have the stock seat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »
If it is comfortable after 100 miles, you have the touring seat. If you feel as if you are a contestant on the new hit reality series, "A$$ Torture Survivor," then you have the stock seat.

:rotflmao:

Offline jimboni

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »
Is the picture that fartymarty posted the same seat you received? That is the Touring  seat, $650 @ Partzilla 😳, they were like $420 when I first looked for one and I bought a used one for $350ish!

Looks the same. $500 if you shop carefully. Still pretty pricey vs a full custom. But if it's not the "real" touring seat it's not worth half that.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
Looks the same. $500 if you shop carefully. Still pretty pricey vs a full custom. But if it's not the "real" touring seat it's not worth half that.

I had a custom seat made from one of the most popular seat builders and even had It supposedly. Adjusted and I sold it and have been using the touring seat now for about 8k miles , the custom lasted about 3 before I sold it.  EVery ones tuckus is different I guess !

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
Well maybe further discussion is warranted so we can put this topic to bed for those looking in the future. I'll just throw out some info as I see it and those that really know
(and can back it up) can tell me how wrong I am and how I should just STFU..etc. Eventually there may be some hurt feelings but we will get to the bottom of this.

Kawasaki has made 6 different seats for the C14. Additionally the ZX-14 seat (and variants) fits the C14 with a simple under seat hardware change.

Stock Seats:
There are to date 3 stock seats. The '08 - '09 models came with a two tone seat where the front seat is a lighter gray color.
The '10 models and up to and including '14 models came with the same seat but all black vinyl covering.
The '15-'20 models came with a different cover that has visible double row stitching around the front section. Allegedly in addition to the cover
change...Cycle World says"The front portion is narrower to allow the rider’s feet to reach the ground more easily, while the contours are sculpted to provide greater support for both rider and passenger."

Kawasaki Accessories seats (3):
I've never seen one but I'm told that Kawasaki made two different  lowered gel insert seats that looked pretty much like the stock seat...until you sat on it (harder at least at first).
Supposedly the gel seats made in '10 and later were considered better.
The current touring seat that has double row stitching around the front and rear seat as well as a different vinyl texture on the top as opposed to the sides
and the strip going across the top that separates front from rear seat.

OK guys ('n' Gals if any) fire away and tell me why I'm wrong about the seats.

EDIT: corrected to show that '09 models had two tone seat cover. Thanks Gscott.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:45:38 AM by fartymarty »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
fire away and tell me why I'm wrong about the seats.

I can't, but it certainly is a confusing mess of variants  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimboni

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
Here is a pic of the 53066-0465-49x seat. It certainly looks the part, but nowhere is the stamped with 99994-0500 number for the accessory touring seat. I wish I had a stock 53066-0464-49L seat to compare against.

Does this help anyone identify?

Offline Gscott

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 12:17:10 AM »
FM, the 09s had the two tone seat as well

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 04:27:08 AM »
Here is a pic of the stock 08/09 saddle. VERY different from the Touring saddle.

Here is the 2010-2014 OEM saddle compared to the Touring saddle

Here is the 2015 onwards OEM saddle.

This is a ZX14 saddle

These are all other peoples pics that I found with a Google Image search.  ::)

Personally, I find the Corbin Modular to be fairly comfy, but will be replacing mine with a Russell Daylong later this year.
I consider the OEM (2008) saddle to be good for 60 miles, my locally modified saddle to be good for 100-150 miles, the Corbin good for 200 miles, and the Daylong to be good ALL DAY LONG, hence the name. I've not had the chance to test the Touring saddle.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
FM, the 09s had the two tone seat as well

Right you are! I guess every red 2009 that I've seen in person has had the seat replaced. Thanks

===================================================================

Here is a pic of the 53066-0465-49x seat. It certainly looks the part, but nowhere is the stamped with 99994-0500 number for the accessory touring seat. I wish I had a stock 53066-0464-49L seat to compare against.

Does this help anyone identify?

jimboni, that's looks exactly like the touring seat that I have. (except yours is mounted on a cleaner bike and I have a backrest on mine.)

Probably someone has already answered this and I missed it...but I wonder if there really is any difference between the stock '15 and up seat and the Kawasaki Touring seat other than the cover?
Anyone have both that can tell us how sure they are that there really is a comfort difference and is positive that it's not the same seat with a fancier cover?

Offline FTB530

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
Right you are! I guess every red 2009 that I've seen in person has had the seat replaced. Thanks

===================================================================

jimboni, that's looks exactly like the touring seat that I have. (except yours is mounted on a cleaner bike and I have a backrest on mine.)

Probably someone has already answered this and I missed it...but I wonder if there really is any difference between the stock '15 and up seat and the Kawasaki Touring seat other than the cover?
Anyone have both that can tell us how sure they are that there really is a comfort difference and is positive that it's not the same seat with a fancier cover?

There is definitely a difference in the stock and the touring seat.  My stock seat was used to build a custom by a builder that rhymes with Spam, sold it and been using the touring seat since, the touring seat stopped me from having a RDL built, I have done 4-500 mile days with out butt problems on the touring seat!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 04:43:02 PM »

There is definitely a difference in the stock and the touring seat.  My stock seat was used to build a custom by a builder that rhymes with Spam, sold it and been using the touring seat since, the touring seat stopped me from having a RDL built, I have done 4-500 mile days with out butt problems on the touring seat!

Thanks FTB350, and to be crystal clear, that stock seat that you didn't like was the 2016 stock seat with the double stitching around the front section before you sent it off to be redone by the "rhymes with spam" people. Right?

Offline jimboni

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 07:18:28 AM »
Anyone with a touring seat care to share part number stamped on the seat pan? Since we are correlating photos this send like the missing piece that could put this to bed

Thanks all.

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
The seat you posted a picture of is the touring seat. The stock seat and touring seat share the same pan. Stop worrying about numbers on the pan. You have the touring seat. That is evident by the picture you posted of the seat. The thread should have been done when you posted a picture of what is obviously the touring seat.

The same part number you are worried about it stamped on my touring seat, but it is not on my stock seat.

Here is the number on my touring seat.