Author Topic: Front axle will not come off  (Read 3913 times)

Offline calired67

Front axle will not come off
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
I have watched every video i can but the dang thing wont come off.
When I turn itboth sides turn. Tried leaving one pinch bolt in .... Then nothing turns. Tried hoding the other side doesnt work. Tried using my impact driver still wont budge. Help please. I need my bike back on the road

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Front axle will not come off
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
The front axle is loosened with a 12mm allen key. If you have 2 allen keys, hold one and twist hard on the other (with all the pinch bolts loose).

If you only have one allen key, it should be possible to tighten the fork pinch bolts on the axle end and then use the allen key on the nut end. If you tighten the pinch bolts on the nut end, the nut then grabs the axle and nothing turns.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:58:57 AM »
Wow. Kind of sounds like the nut is seized on the axle shaft. It's possible the shaft has been installed bassackwards, so that the nut is on the opposite side. Try reversing which pinch bolt you leave tight. Next up I'd ask what kind of impact driver you're using -- Harbor Freight units don't produce anywhere near the torque they advertise. At some point you need a really long breaker bar (or two), one friend to hold the opposite end, and another friend to hold the motorcycle. The axle and nut are 12mm hex recesses, but the use of 12mm hex bits instead of hex keys is strongly advised.

Offline calired67

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
I went out and bought a second bit. I am going to try the old pipe on the breaker bar for more leverage.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Make sure all pinch nuts are loose.    If u don't have a hex bit u can use hex bolts which are double nutted.

Me, I bought 1 hex socket from Sears and it was plenty long enough to cut a section off to use on the other side with a regular socket to hold it. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline calired67

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
Got a pipe from my neighbor. Took me a few tries but finally heard the ping. Thanks for all the help. Tired of spending 40 bucks a week to drive my truck to work.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
Put anti-seize compound on it before re-assembly...
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline dvitous

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
Me, I bought 1 hex socket from Sears and it was plenty long enough to cut a section off to use on the other side with a regular socket to hold it.

^^^ This (not socket... but a 12mm hex key)

And when you lose your first cut-off... and you will... there's plenty left over to make another  :o
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »
Next time:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-TL140200AV-1-2-Composite-Twin-Hammer-Impact-Wrench-Wrench/38206491

Mehhhh
McMaster Carr long allen keys, a couple pieces of iron pipe, and a bfh.... or, a good deadblow plastic mallet.... fixes many more things, and can be multi tasked.... and ya don't need a compressor.... well, you DO, but not for removing bolts.

And if you do buy an impact wrench, buy a good one, and buy an ELECTRIC one... low powered compressors, ain't gonna drive a wrench like that properly...

Use discretion when buying tools.... a hammer and some simple add ons break bolts free in one whack, and you will likely never abuse the head of the bolt/fastener like you will with an impact wrench

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »
Had a good compressor anyway. And my wally world $80 impact wrench has been working flawless for years. I mostly use it for tire rotation but occasionally for the stubborn bolt.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:25 AM »
Had a good compressor anyway. And my wally world $80 impact wrench has been working flawless for years. I mostly use it for tire rotation but occasionally for the stubborn bolt.

There is much to be said about having the tools to do it EITHER way.... Sometimes it is the rapid hammering of an impact gun that breaks the stubborn bolt loose that would otherwise be rounded off with the application of brute force... But then again sometimes nothing replaces a BFW so excuse me while I go get the 48" pipe wrench and 5 foot cheater pipe from the engine room....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 05:37:05 AM »
Somehow this does not surprise me... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.