Author Topic: First (and probably last) Valve Adjustment  (Read 14005 times)

Offline strum

Re: First Valve Adjustment / TB Sync
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
Great news!!!!  Glad for you on this . I know its been an experience.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Congrates! Its a good feeling and a relief, isnt it?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Any photos of the old air filter? I don't think you mentioned it anywhere in this thread.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »

WOW

What a difference!!!
:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Congrats!! You just had to know the dancin' 'nanas were coming.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »
Any photos of the old air filter? I don't think you mentioned it anywhere in this thread.

I actually posted it Oct 27 in an appropriate thread :)  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13197.msg303081#msg303081   Somehow it slipped by ya...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
Thanks for all the congrats.  Trust me, I will never attempt it again.  I am still concerned that the coolant flush was only 2.5 qt and the final fill was also only 2.5 qt.   I wish I had measured what came out both times.

And now it is, believe it or not, snowing.  That will end and then be bitter cold and icy tonight and all tomorrow.  Thursday I might be able to slip in a short ride after work, but then it will rain for 5 days, all through the weekend and early next week :(  I want to ride it!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2019, 03:15:27 PM »
I'm glad you got it all sorted!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2019, 07:27:14 AM »
Thanks for all the congrats.  Trust me, I will never attempt it again.  I am still concerned that the coolant flush was only 2.5 qt and the final fill was also only 2.5 qt.   I wish I had measured what came out both times.

And now it is, believe it or not, snowing.  That will end and then be bitter cold and icy tonight and all tomorrow.  Thursday I might be able to slip in a short ride after work, but then it will rain for 5 days, all through the weekend and early next week :(  I want to ride it!!!

You said that you filled and ran it with pure distilled water right? Then drained that and added the coolant. You may not have the correct % of coolant to water now.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: First (and probably last) Valve Adjustment
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
I actually posted it Oct 27 in an appropriate thread :)  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13197.msg303081#msg303081   Somehow it slipped by ya...

It sure did slip by me, and you know I watch you like a hawk.  :popcorn:
 It must of been when I was off looking for all my cold weather gear in case hell froze over. :yikes:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2019, 03:31:25 PM »
You said that you filled and ran it with pure distilled water right? Then drained that and added the coolant. You may not have the correct % of coolant to water now.

That is possible.  But what else can I do?  I drained it, filled it with distilled water.  Ran it, feeding as much as it would take (ever) which was 2.5qt.  Drained it, filled it with premix.  Ran it, feeding as much as it would take (ever) which was 2.5qt.  I don't know where the missing 1 qt is.  Perhaps it was just retained somewhere that would not drain.  In which case, there is a 1 qt remnant of unknown mix of distilled water and premix that diluted the new premix.  From a freezing standpoint, it won't matter, since here it will never get below maybe 20F.  From an overheating standpoint, that shouldn't matter either, since water is better at heat transfer than premix.  From a corrosion standpoint- I don't know (at least I used distilled).

I asked my mechanic friend "if there is missing coolant in there, will it eventually replace what is missing from the overflow bottle?" And he said yes.  But after my 30 min test drive, the level didn't change.  And after several hours of cool-down, it still didn't change.  It is a mystery that I don't like.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »
That is possible.  But what else can I do?  I drained it, filled it with distilled water.  Ran it, feeding as much as it would take (ever) which was 2.5qt.  Drained it, filled it with premix.  Ran it, feeding as much as it would take (ever) which was 2.5qt.  I don't know where the missing 1 qt is.  Perhaps it was just retained somewhere that would not drain.  In which case, there is a 1 qt remnant of unknown mix of distilled water and premix that diluted the new premix.  From a freezing standpoint, it won't matter, since here it will never get below maybe 20F.  From an overheating standpoint, that shouldn't matter either, since water is better at heat transfer than premix.  From a corrosion standpoint- I don't know (at least I used distilled).

I asked my mechanic friend "if there is missing coolant in there, will it eventually replace what is missing from the overflow bottle?" And he said yes.  But after my 30 min test drive, the level didn't change.  And after several hours of cool-down, it still didn't change.  It is a mystery that I don't like.

don't sweat it man, it's good.. the 3.7 qt figure in the book is when the bike is manufactured, and completely dry..and includes the overflow tank;  residual liquid is retained all over the engine, radiator, oil cooler jacket, fill bottle (that is part of the actual liquid figure shown in the book, so that coolant reservoir 20 oz.  never gets seen.. but is noted as part of the total system fluid)... your bike will be fine, and protected...

I'll also note, that you need not worry about any "air bleeding" on the C14, as this system was designed to automatically do that for you, via a supply line from the w/p, which accomplishes the "purge"; just in case you were thinking there may be "air" trapped, like in the old C10 models..   which is good... so ya got that going for ya, as Karl Spackler would say "Gunga-La Gunga..."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2019, 05:28:02 PM »
don't sweat it man, it's good..

Thanks.  Just call me nervous.  I will go ahead and put on the last two panels and call it done.  Tomorrow it is supposed to warm up some, so I absolutely want to take it out for at least a bit.

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
:'(
Just for clarity on these two posts, between these two above quoted valve jobs, Fred Harmon moved from 15 minutes from my house (Texas) to 8 hours from my house (Arkansas)  :'( :(:( :(
He is indeed now living in the Mountain Home Arkansas area.

OK, back to max's story....
Just for clarity....I will gladly ride an extra 8 hours to Arkansas from my home in Utah before I will ever put myself thru doing a valve adjust on this bike. Just saying. Life is too short!!
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
some folks seem to have too much money, and time..... I really feel the whole job is quite painless, just takes a couple days.

I can't poop out $2k for a trip and repair, and when you add the expenses up; that would be about what it would cost. Gas, Hotels, repair bill, any "incidentals" that pop up in the week long venture.

but, I'm a "realist", and cheap.. and live on SSI... but I got tools.

I guess it's moot for me to say that all, having done the service myself.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
some folks seem to have too much money, and time..... I really feel the whole job is quite painless, just takes a couple days.

My broken engine mount bolt did extend the process quite a bit.  But with two of us working on it, I estimate around 30 man hours (including plugs, filters, oil, flush, etc).  Granted, it would be much easier/faster a second time, due to learning how it all works.  Following the manual is quite a chore- jumping from one section, to another, to another....  It would have been completely impossible had I not a very experienced mechanic with me.  So I wouldn't call it painless (and not just because it was killing my back and legs (his, too)).

For me, it not about money it was about wanting to know it was actually done correctly, within my control, and without any damage to anything.  But I am not kidding when I say I don't think I could go through that again.  And I really do caution people attempting this job to think carefully first.  It can take a LOT of time and there are a LOT of ways you can totally destroy the engine, plus it is very frustrating.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:29 AM »
Just for clarity....I will gladly ride an extra 8 hours to Arkansas from my home in Utah before I will ever put myself thru doing a valve adjust on this bike. Just saying. Life is too short!!

To each his own.  I, for one, find this type of work relaxing.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2019, 07:36:14 AM »
I enjoy this type of work but I did find it a bit nerve racking. Challenging ones self  i s good for the soul though. I might do it again. Maybe .

To each his own.  I, for one, find this type of work relaxing.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »

For me, it not about money it was about wanting to know it was actually done correctly, within my control, and without any damage to anything.  But I am not kidding when I say I don't think I could go through that again.  And I really do caution people attempting this job to think carefully first.  It can take a LOT of time and there are a LOT of ways you can totally destroy the engine, plus it is very frustrating.
I think you grasp the jist of what I said, and to be truthful,  the total job first "go round", did span a few days, I really took the "time" to remove, and document it all, in my brain, and in photos; and as I am very particular, anal if you really want to know when it comes to things like this) a lot of time was spent on educating myself; didn't have to deal with broken bolts and such in mine, but the "actual" time in disassemble, inspect, adjust, re-install" along with doing extra's like routing vac lines for t/b synch (for future use, and anytime I want to check), cleaning, and looking closely at everything, really totaled about 12 "real working" hours... having never done it, and being one of the first to do it. The "wasted" time that accumulated over the multi day process, during allocation of parts (which wisely I refuted until I "KNEW" exactly what I needed, did accumulate, and add to the total process hours, but in reality, all the wrench turning, measuring, and re turning of the wrenches to completion, was a day and a half.. with beer breaks, and photos. Having said that, I walked into the house many times, and continued on with normal life, and working a 70 hr week at my Paying Job...
If you do it once, it's a p.i.t.a., second time, you know the short cuts... third time... it's like changing oil... well, not really, but it does become majorly simplified...

you did good.
I'll pat you on the back, and you should never be afraid to do it a second time. I have to do it again next fall.. and have no fear... Get a lift, it saves your back, is all I have to add....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
and document it all, in my brain, and in photos;

Yeah, I really regret not having taken photos and notes.  But I felt rushed and with my friend there during half of it, I just didn't think about it.  I am usually good at that type of thing.[/quote]

you did good. I'll pat you on the back, and you should never be afraid to do it a second time. I have to do it again next fall.. and have no fear...

Well, I do have a poor memory, so maybe I will forget the trauma and stupidly dive in again one day.

Get a lift, it saves your back, is all I have to add....

Unfortunately, I have no room for such stuff.

I just put on the final fairing and do-dads and took a long second ride tonight (just got home).  It is just fantastic.  Now I have to "unlearn" some of the "compensating" behaviors I developed to deal with it running so poorly.  But I don't think that will take very long :)

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »
After reading all this, it kind of makes the $525 I charge seem way too cheap.......

I have done 7 C14's this year and have another arriving this weekend........ Good likelyhood I have adjusted valves etc atleast 150 times on a C14 and I have yet to find one that hasn't needed atleast 8 of them adjusted, and some of these guys bring them in routinely every 15-20k, some are first timers bringing them @ 20k, 30k or even the most recent was 37k before he finally decided to get them done

the measurements the Op got don't surprise me for not having done them til 48k, the numbers he let them go out the door at do surprise me, why set them outside of the spec range and then you are already in there, why not spend another couple hours to change them again to get them actually correct?

Anyways.......

I had a guy from PA drive all the way to MN to have his C14 get my major service tune this spring, he sat in the local hotel for 2 full days and nearly half of a third  (1pm check out, see he checked out and sat by their pool til about 2:30 when I picked him up) while I spent about 19 hours working on his bike over those 2+ days

The basic tune up stuff sure one can typically do in maybe 8 hrs (valves, TPS, sync, brake and clutch fluid flushed, oil/filter, plugs, air filter, final drive yada yada yada)
the major tune (pulling steering head, fork oil, all the rear suspension linkages, swingarm and wheel bearings to inspect clean and repack or change is far more involved and time consuming to do on top of the "normal" tune up stuff)

Anyways- glad to hear the OP got it back together despite a huge time investment and seemingly much stress...... maybe next time the $500ish plus parts will seem cheap in comparison (of course that broken engine bolt would have added some cost)