Author Topic: Unfortunately.....  (Read 12487 times)

Offline timmerz

Unfortunately.....
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
I guess I get to be the first to drop in the new forum....{sigh}....I have never dropped a bike in all my 55 years, other than dirt bikes that deserved it, of course! LOL! This was particularly embarrassing due to the fact that it was right out in front of the office building I work in at a Quarry....lots of loose various-sized rock lying around, and I was curving in towards my parking spot slowly, completely under control, WITH BOTH FEET DOWN, and we leaned right ever so slightly to finish the turn and "whoopti!" there went my right boot skidding out on loose stuff and "BAM" down we went, that quickly. I'm pissed, but pragmatic about it...I know the dangers of riding this bike in loose gravel, no doubt about that. I've been doing it safely for the last 6 months, but I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Unfortunately.....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
ouch!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:19:31 AM »
Did they all see you?

Sorry, what was the damage?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline timmerz

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »
Did they all see you?

Yes, they sure did....{gritted teeth}...all the girls come scurrying out worried about my welfare (evidently it stirred up quite a bit of dust) and all the guys lounged against the doorway on the deck smirking and taking memorable shots with their cell phone cams....I'll never live it down, but will live on to ride some more...LOL!

Broke the right foot peg....already have a new one coming from Murph....that was quite a torturous 42-mile ride home, with left foot on the regular peg and right foot on the rear peg....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
At least you didn't add injury to insult.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cavosie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
Broke the right foot peg....already have a new one coming from Murph....that was quite a torturous 42-mile ride home, with left foot on the regular peg and right foot on the rear peg....

Been there.  Done that.  Completely agree.

Plus, rear braking is hard when it's freestyle:  hard to gauge foot pressure on brake!

Offline timmerz

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
At least you didn't add injury to insult.

Absolutely right, and I'm thanking my Frank Thomas jacket and the nice light-weight Olympia riding gloves I picked up at Cycle Gear a couple of months ago...there was absolutely nothing acrobatic or practiced about the way Connie and I parted ways...all I remember is being launched to the right in a semi-violent manner....no time to react and make it a "meant-to-do-that" moment out of it at all... :P

Offline timmerz

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Been there.  Done that.  Completely agree.

Plus, rear braking is hard when it's freestyle:  hard to gauge foot pressure on brake!

Never even thought to try and sling my leg forward from that rear peg to try to brake...the whole trip home was done with the front brake....took a little more planning coming up to stops, since I do use the rear brake for about 50% of my stopping power...

Offline TjTexasJack

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
I've read here that some people carry a bolt to act as an emergency foot peg Don't remember the size, But I'm sure someone will chime in on it specs.

Ride safe, Keep sharp.
Tj

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
I've got one that I had for my C10.  Don't know if it works for the C14.  Vice Grips work pretty well too if there is something for them to clamp.  I think I got the bolt from Murph.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline booger

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
Did they all see you?

Shucks,  everybody in a 10 county radius sees you when you drop one ;D

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »

Here you get sympathy though. 

:'(

Offline timmerz

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »

This is certainly true...I found out later that the security force (our acreage is monitored via surveilance cams 24/7) called to see if I was ok... ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 06:45:30 AM »
This is certainly true...I found out later that the security force (our acreage is monitored via surveilance cams 24/7) called to see if I was ok... ::)

Oh oh, look for that video footage on youtube soon.   ;)

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »
That's okay, I dropped mine yesterday, twisting my ankle in the process.   I was trying to turn around in a friend's driveway which was on a hard slant had the whell cut to hard and as I started rolling over I went.  Too much weight way to fast to stop it cracked my right side plastic in two places ankle rolled when I tried to stop her.  I was laughing about it later but with three of his neighbors watching it was pretty embarrasing.  Scratched my helmet pretty good, cracked the plastic, found the knee pads and elbows pads in my pants and jacket actually helped. 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »
Feel for you! Hope that ankle heals fast, that can hurt pretty bad when you are trying to cover some territory on the bike...

Offline ManWorkingH3r3

• Blue is the Fastest Color. :-)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
That's okay, I dropped mine yesterday, twisting my ankle in the process.   I was trying to turn around in a friend's driveway which was on a hard slant had the whell cut to hard and as I started rolling over I went.  Too much weight way to fast to stop it cracked my right side plastic in two places ankle rolled when I tried to stop her.  I was laughing about it later but with three of his neighbors watching it was pretty embarrasing.  Scratched my helmet pretty good, cracked the plastic, found the knee pads and elbows pads in my pants and jacket actually helped.

Sorry to read that you fell but happy to read that ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) was helpful.  I keep putting on my overpants and armored jacket with the thought of never needing them.  Like bringing an umbrella means it won't rain.

Best wishes on a speedy ankle recovery.
2001 ZG1000-a14  - a.k.a. Blue Streak  COG#9292

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
Thanks, the ankle is doing much better.   And yeah ATGATT was really surprising at all of 2 mph.   
...and a good time was had by all.