Author Topic: Just thru a C-10 rod in NC (on the road again with a bad engine)  (Read 5002 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Any body live near Wilson at I95 and US264 that could transport me to a little bit better location until my wife gets here in 6 hours?  Its hot.

Call me
Frank
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:25:31 AM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Just thru a rod in NC
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »
Got home a little after midnight.  Has hole big enough to put your fist in.  Anybody got a good motor in the Northern VA region?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »

You're only 7 hrs from Pinwall Cycle ( http://pinwallcycle.com ) just south of Cleveland. Usually has 3 or 4 of these motors available.
Buddy of mine got a 30k mile motor from them for his '99 C10 & I believe he only pd $300....  Runs great, cams looked awesome too!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the info, I looked into them.  I found one in Hartford, CT i'm picking up on Saturday.  Low mileage, good rods, no leaks, and a great price from a forum member.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:10:31 AM »
Sorry I'm so late to this post, I live in Chapel Hill and work in Durham. Glad to hear you got hame safely, good luck with the bike.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
I have a complete 2009 C-14 engine with all attachments for sale, 3200 miles, $1,000.00 plus freight from Orlando, Fl

Take PayPal

Ninjawarrior
Ninjawarrior

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
I don't think that fits in a C10 frame...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
I don't think that fits in a C10 frame...

There's a few folks around that may take that as a challenge... :hail: :popcorn:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 06:16:39 AM »
I wonder if it could be made to fit?  Actually last night I put oil and coolant in the replacement motor.  No drops on the floor this morning.  Hopefully I will finish it tonight.  I had a lot of family stuff slow me up.  Wife's ankle surgery and everything leading up to it for one.

By the way, that does sound like a great deal on a motor.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Just thru a C-10 rod in NC (almost fixed now)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
Call this post closed.  I rode the bike to work today.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
:chugbeer: :thumbs: :hail:
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »

Much quicker than I would have been able to get it done.  So everything worked out with the motor from the parts bike?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »
Much quicker than I would have been able to get it done.  So everything worked out with the motor from the parts bike?

Actually, it's not all good, but now I have me a whole bunch of extra parts.  The motor is not good in it's current condition.  I has a loud ticking coming from the #1 side.  I replaced the automatic CCT with my manual one and rechecked the valves to make sure it wasn't them - no change.  I'm thinking it is piston slap or a bad rocker assembly.  It seems to be coming right from just below where the upper cam gears are.  Donna just had right foot surgery so she can't drive and I am chafeur right now so I don't ride much.  I'm going to send SISF an email with a few questions before I look for a new motor, perhaps its salvagable.  Maybe swapping a piston and rod is feasible if that is all it is.  I think the jugs come out of these too?  If I need another one, i'll do it over the winter.  I still did the ACC at MCB Quantico with it and it didn't blow up.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Actually, it's not all good, but now I have me a whole bunch of extra parts.  The motor is not good in it's current condition.  I has a loud ticking coming from the #1 side.  I replaced the automatic CCT with my manual one and rechecked the valves to make sure it wasn't them - no change.  I'm thinking it is piston slap or a bad rocker assembly.  It seems to be coming right from just below where the upper cam gears are.  Donna just had right foot surgery so she can't drive and I am chafeur right now so I don't ride much.  I'm going to send SISF an email with a few questions before I look for a new motor, perhaps its salvagable.  Maybe swapping a piston and rod is feasible if that is all it is.  I think the jugs come out of these too?  If I need another one, i'll do it over the winter.  I still did the ACC at MCB Quantico with it and it didn't blow up.
Do not expect a quick reply from SiSF. He and his family are on a two week fishing trip on an island near St Augustine, FL. No email, limited phone. Back in a week or so. He might have a few things to catch up on upon his return to civilization.

Good Luck with the engine. Bummer.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »
Do not expect a quick reply from SiSF. He and his family are on a two week fishing trip on an island near St Augustine, FL. No email, limited phone. Back in a week or so. He might have a few things to catch up on upon his return to civilization.

Thanks, that's what I thought I heard.  This would be a winter project if it gets that far.  So, anybody know of any GOOD engines within a few hours of Northern VA (besides the usual Pinwall and a few others)?  Keep your eyes open please  :banghead:

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Re: Just thru a C-10 rod in NC (on the road again with a bad engine)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »
You see this? there's and engine up in Baltmore http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3113910795.html
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Just thru a C-10 rod in NC (on the road again with a bad engine)
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
Thanks.  I've seen that one, its been posted for two months.  Thats a pretty high starting price, and i'm not in a hurry yet.  I just don't want a good low price one to slip by.