Author Topic: SPOOFAK Install this weekend  (Read 6934 times)

Offline Mike G

SPOOFAK Install this weekend
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
I bought a SPOOFAK from Murph over the winter and installed it this weekend.  It was hardly any more work than doing an oil change except for modifying the belly pan.  This kit absolutely ROCKS!  It came with a small container of thread lock and sealant so I didn’t have to find a suitable sealant.  The only thing I didn't have was a 27mm deepwell socket which I got from Harbor Freight for like $8 with a 20% off coupon.  Now oil changes will be a breeze, no more removing the belly pan and no more hot oil in the armpits!  Thanks Dan Bergman for developing this.  I just wish I did it sooner.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: SPOOFAK Install this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Yup we do love our Murph & Dan for their support of the Concours.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

Yup, I'm placing my second order with Murphs today. 
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »
The only thing I didn't have was a 27mm deepwell socket which I got from Harbor Freight for like $8 with a 20% off coupon.
I forget what it was that I used, but I seem to remember not having to buy a specific socket.  I had some socket sitting around from something that worked.  O2 sensor?  Socket for C10 rear axle?  (I have a deep impact socket that I use for that)

The SPOOFAK has been one of the better farkles.

TCro's shift linkage is finally getting installed this week... 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Socket for C10 rear axle

That's where I'd place my bet, AKA 1&1/8"
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Easy13

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
The SPOOFAK is my next purchase from Murphs (after Kneesavers, Highway bars, and petcock conversion).  Best part is, the kit uses the same oil filter as both my Nissan and my Triumph Thruxton.   8)
Cognito Ergo Wrenchum

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
Nah, 27mm = 1&1/16" (26.9875mm)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »

Yes we do! I remember when I bought my Connie back in 05 I ordered about a grand worth of stuff from Murph before the bike had even arrived from Florida. Hey I figured it's February in Northern IL so I can't ride it so I might as well do some mods.  8)

Same thing just years later. I just put the Connie back on the road after sitting for 3 years and I went right to Murph's website to get what I needed. Heck my account was still in his records which made it real easy.

Back on topic. Yes the SPOOFAK is the cat's meow! It make changing the oil so much easier. Actually until this thread I'd never saw it referred to as SPOOFAK. Great acronym.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:39:12 AM »
I put mine on just last month.  Haven't done an oil change since, but I can see it'll be a whole lot cleaner.  I was looking at possible moving over to a ZG1200 Voyager and imagine that; the SPOOFAK fits that one too!  How convenient.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
I know somebody asked long ago but I forgot what the answer was, I'd like to install one on my '82 KZ550A, everything is the same, same filter, same bolt, same everything, that would be nice. I'm thinking they'd say no because no testing was done with other bikes? And because of that liability issues maintain they have to say no?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
I know somebody asked long ago but I forgot what the answer was, I'd like to install one on my '82 KZ550A, everything is the same, same filter, same bolt, same everything, that would be nice. I'm thinking they'd say no because no testing was done with other bikes? And because of that liability issues maintain they have to say no?

I'm thinking only way to know would be a simple "try it" answer, I'd do it without torquing and sealing, just to see if the thing pinches up and doesn't crunch anything.

I can attest as having a couple of the "first" experimental ones to test out, that there were internal oil pan differences in the filter area/cavity that were on the pre-94 bikes, differing from the post 94 that Dan used for the first units production. The cavity in the pre94's was smaller, and had tapered sides, and the unit would wedge up before it got tightened fully home. Dan re-vamped the o.d of the spoofak body to fit all years for the current production....
I have one of the old ones still I believe, lemme dig it out and I'll drop it off to ya to try out. If I can remember which box out of the 100, I packed it in when we moved back up here.... :'(

now ya got me wondering if they fit my old 78 KZ 1000 Ltd.... ;) hmmmm.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
I seem to remember there were a few bikes that the SPOOFAK was specifically NOT recommended for.  Something about the housing blocking the oil passages.  It would fit, but oil wouldn't flow properly.  But with a quick scan through the installation instructions, I can't find anything.  So I might be wrong. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
OK, next time I got the thing apart, I'm going to look at it again, if I remember it all looks exactly the same up inside, of course this means nothing when talking about oil passages and such. I'll look into some old threads. Thanks for the input.

Bergmen

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »

Those Kawasaki models that are not on my qualification list on my website have a different oil delivery position into the oil filter cavity, even though they use the same filter element. Using the same filter is not a qualifying element, the entire oil filter system needs to be compatible. Here are pictures:

Concours (and other qualified models):

Other Kawasaki models:

The oil delivery port is positioned such that I cannot be sure of an unrestricted oil flow into the filter cavity created by the proximity of the SPOOFAK housing. The list on my website is complete and comprehensive, no other Kawasaki models should attempt to use the SPOOFAK without risk.

As for the KZ1000, that engine has a roller bearing crank and the oil system does not deliver oil pressure sufficient to make use of spin-on oil filters.

Dan

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »
So, my remembery was right!   ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
OK, thanks Dan, that's a good thing to know, glad I asked first.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
I thank you also Dan
Saved me from experimenting..... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
I've had one of the SPOOFAKs on my Connie since they first came out. Awesome product!  :chugbeer: