Author Topic: Stebel Nautilus horn installation instructions  (Read 35286 times)

Offline incabird

Stebel Nautilus horn installation instructions
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
I purchased a Stebel Nautilus and was looking for some input on the installation. As I recall, someone had posted some instructions with locatioin suggestions and photos prior to the crash.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
Re: Stebel Nautilus horn installation instructions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »
I just installed the Nautilus's bigger brother, Stebel "Compact Truck Horn" on my 2010. No pics though. Much deeper tone than the Compact Nautilus. The downside is it's physical size.

I installed it on the right side, under the upper fairing. I used two stainless, rubber insulated clamps to hold a short piece of aluminun bar stock to the fairing support tubes. It's located as far to the rear as I could get it and above the intake duct.
As to wiring...i ran a 15a fused 14 awg, pair of wires from the battery box to the relay/horn and a pair of wires from the stock horn with double blade adapters to the coil side of the relay. The stocker works in conjuction with the Stebel.

This one sounds at 300 Hz. http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=17&uso=&tipologia=TUNING
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline SonnyC

• Live long and enjoy life to its' fullest.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
I was planning to purchase the Stebel Nautilus and follow the instructions and picture/diagrams from the old post.  Now that post is gone, I don't think I'm up to the task...I don't want to fry my electrical.   Does anyone knows who posted the wiring diagrams and photos for the Nautilus.   If you could be so kind to repost them if that is possible.  Thanks in advance.

SonnyC

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Well horse-hocky.  I was going to paste a link to my thread that showed all of my farkles, including the horn.  But I forgot about the damn forum crash  :(

I mounted mine almost exactly as CigarSki posted above.  It's a pain in the ass to do, but that is the only place I could find.  Here is a picture that sort of shows it....

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline incabird

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »
If I recall, you need to splice into both factory horn wires and use a relay. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup?
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline SonnyC

• Live long and enjoy life to its' fullest.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »
Thanks,  It sure looks like a lot of work...removing the fairings, wiring...

SonnyC

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
I ordered my Stebel Nautilus horn from bikerhiway.com and ordered the pnp wiring harness and
it was a very easy install or at least the wiring part of the install was easy.
Finding a place to mount it was the hard part.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
Yeah, there were several pages like that. Good info. too. I had put up a thread about how I installed my Stebel to work only when the high beams were on; I kept the original horn and can choose between the two with the high beam switch (the horn button is still used to sound both horns).

Brian

I purchased a Stebel Nautilus and was looking for some input on the installation. As I recall, someone had posted some instructions with locatioin suggestions and photos prior to the crash.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »
Yeah, there were several pages like that. Good info. too. I had put up a thread about how I installed my Stebel to work only when the high beams were on; I kept the original horn and can choose between the two with the high beam switch (the horn button is still used to sound both horns).

Brian

You must have nano-second reflexes or the ability to stop time so you can decide: (1) big or little horn for this situation? (2) is the bike on high or low beam? (3) switch headlight switch accordingly (4) finally hit the freakin' horn button!

I'm impressed!  :)

Me? I just nail the button and hope somebody at the receiving end is paying attention.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
Well, it really isn't like that and your questions are out of order.  ;)

2) Low beam unless it is at night and there is no oncoming traffic. Always- I have HIDs and high beams tend to blind oncoming traffic.
4) Hit the horn button first and something will make noise no matter where the headlight beam switch is. I have an '08 so I have the FTP button on the front on the left hand switch set and hitting that button along with the horn button is pretty much habit now. It does not take any extra time and is sort of intuitive anyway; just squeeze everything on the left handlebar and the louder horn usually goes off.
1) If I can think about it, I can usually use the little horn. The big horn is kind of obnoxious in neighborhoods at night. But see the answer to (4) above.... if it is too loud, it is too loud but everybody will live.
3) See answer (4) above. It takes care of itself.

You should be impressed- I have two horns and can operate either one with no more buttons or switches than were originally on the bike. Hey, it is only one step away from the horn blowing and the headlights flashing with nothing more than an evil thought....  :D  But really, there are enough widgets on the bike already and I didn't want to add another button for the loud horn, and I didn't want to do away with the little horn entirely either. I guess you could look at it as a lose- lose situation. As it is now sometimes I hit the cruise control button and the guy I am riding with says “What?” Lotsa’ buttons, especially on the left side.

Brian

You must have nano-second reflexes or the ability to stop time so you can decide: (1) big or little horn for this situation? (2) is the bike on high or low beam? (3) switch headlight switch accordingly (4) finally hit the freakin' horn button!

I'm impressed!  :)

Me? I just nail the button and hope somebody at the receiving end is paying attention.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »

Brian

My theory is that if a situation calls for a horn, then the louder the better.  I don't want to get someones attention, I want to double their blood pressure and scare them so silly that they don't sleep for three days!
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:07 AM »

Brian

Meh, I'm not impressed. I have eeg sensors embedded in my helmet, I just have to think about the horn and something blows.   8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
You guys are awefully horny.....

8)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
I think this (Stebel install on '09) was on the board before the crash:  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/384/1/28/
---------------------------------

8)
  Yeah, I think it's all because of her.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
There is a motorcycle in that picture?
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

8)

I wasn't, but am now...  ;)

Thanks for Cog's avatar pic, but I can't get the tape on the back of this pic to stick to my wifes forehead though...

Sorry guys... martini night.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:35:25 PM by ZG »

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/384/1/28/

I'll be installing on e soon and my HIDS at the same time
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »

I wasn't, but am now...  ;)

Thanks for Cog's avatar pic, but I can't get the tape on the back of this pic to stick to my wifes forehead though...

Sorry guys... martini night.

Use a stapler.

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
Well horse-hocky.  I was going to paste a link to my thread that showed all of my farkles, including the horn.  But I forgot about the damn forum crash  :(

I mounted mine almost exactly as CigarSki posted above.  It's a pain in the ass to do, but that is the only place I could find.  Here is a picture that sort of shows it....

That's a neat install but what did you do with the charcoal canister? 

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80