Author Topic: +2 or +4 degree Ignition Rotors, Anybody bolted one on? What's Your results?  (Read 21031 times)

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
 I see bolt on Ignition advancers, also of course you can perform a modification to your stock one. Just wondering if anyone has used the bolt on ones, how did it perform on your bike? Also the scenario, altitude, stock or modified etc. Thanks.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline westkyguy

Yeah, couldn't really tell any difference. Not like with the stick coils.

Offline Motor Head

westkyguy:
You went COP, Coil On Plug and got a gain? Did you have aged stock coils, or bad wires? Did you test them before replacement? I could see a difference for degraded parts for sure. Also when you wired up, did you use the same power circuit, or add a relay? Sometimes the difference in voltage supplied to the coils is the gain. Having voltage loss in the electrical, is a problem on many bikes.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
There's a fellow on here (T Cro) who I'm sure will be along shortly.  He sells a kit to convert over to the stick coils.  They're on my list of mods I want to do.  (Soon!)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=61.0

And I'm sure Steve In Sunny Florida will be along shortly to tell you how the ignition advancers aren't worth your $$.  Seems from most folks experience that I've heard around here, the aftermarket advancers don't do anything worthwhile on these engines.

There are however, plenty of other options.  Like Steve's advanced cam sprockets.  Which advance the exhaust cams and improve the midrange of the bike.  (Also on my short list)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=364.0
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Motor Head

Already read about the "Kit" for the sticks. I've replaced so many COP Coils that they don't thrill me, sorry.
 Also the Cam Sprockets, Cams, Jet Kits, Overflow tubes, etc, on SISF web site.
 Baffelectomy and the other tid bits. Couldn't find much on the advance Rotors though.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Already read about the "Kit" for the sticks. I've replaced so many COP Coils that they don't thrill me, sorry.
 Also the Cam Sprockets, Cams, Jet Kits, Overflow tubes, etc, on SISF web site.
 Baffelectomy and the other tid bits. Couldn't find much on the advance Rotors though.
Unfortunately, this site crashed some months ago and took a lot of information with it.  It just hasn't been rehashed yet.  But this thread will probably start a rehashing.   :D

The biggest advantage (in my opinion) to the stick coils on these bikes is making the valve adjustments easier.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Motor Head

Yes I saw where the Forum Tanked.
 There is a lot of the same/ similar info on the COG Forum. Been lurking/ reading posts and Info once I saw the bike up for sale. Trying to see what the good and bad info on the model was. I have found both sites very helpful.
 I found the Valve adjustment a piece of cake, so easy to do. But that's me, been wrenching a very long time.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Personally I think the bike would be fine with 38-40* total IF it could be delayed to finish around 4500 rpm or so. Currently it's 10 initial and 25 electronically advanced, total 35* @ 3500. Since the advance plate ads to  the initial, +4* gets you 39* @ 3500, which IMO is to much, as detonation will result at lower rpms unless higher octane is used.  I tried it way back when , but found other methods to increase the low rpm cylinder pressure, namely by re-timing the Ex cam. HTH, Steve

Offline Motor Head

Yes dialing in the cam for more cylinder pressure, that would be a help at this altitude especially. The timing increase, is overall like you stated. Really a programmable box is the way to go instead of plopping money on a Rotor. But $$$$$.
Re setting the cam timing might be something for the colder months, over the winter. We got some 20 below last year, not for long though, but the snow was around for quite awhile for here.
 You have some great products and info on your site, SISF  ;)
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline westkyguy

westkyguy:
You went COP, Coil On Plug and got a gain? Did you have aged stock coils, or bad wires? Did you test them before replacement? I could see a difference for degraded parts for sure. Also when you wired up, did you use the same power circuit, or add a relay? Sometimes the difference in voltage supplied to the coils is the gain. Having voltage loss in the electrical, is a problem on many bikes.

Yeah, bought one of TCros kits that some guy on here decided not to use. Put it on my 02 that has about 29k on it, lights off instantly and much smoother idle. Put in platinum plugs gapped to .050 and gas mileage went up about 2-3 mpg.

Offline Motor Head

westkyguy:
 Thanks for the reply/ Info. Just wondering, have you done any research into those coils, per part # to see if there are Known issues?
 The COP is a good Technology, but sadly, like a lot of components these days, longevity can certainly be an issue.
 On some of the systems coil failure is pretty high, but then such can be said for some of the coil Packs.
 I think if I was using COP I would have a spare with me, for sure on any longer trips, or a ride into the mountains.
 There are certainly some really good twin fire coils, that are extremely reliable out there. I have Accel Coils on my KZ1000, and noticed the same, starts better, runs better, etc.
 Remember, those COP systems put the coil right on the head=Heat. What causes the most electrical component failures? Heat.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Have sold at least 200 sets in the last two years with only one coil known to gave shown a failure. Everyone who has bought my kits knows that I not only sell stick coils, run stick coils, and stand behind what I sell 110 %
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Have sold at least 200 sets in the last two years with only one coil known to gave shown a failure. Everyone who has bought my kits knows that I not only sell stick coils, run stick coils, and stand behind what I sell 110 %

I'll 2nd that. T Cro's coils are top notch items. There are certain things you don't do:

(1) Never tug on Supermans Cape
(2) Never question T Cro when it comes to coils
(3) Never question Steve in Florida when it comes to carbs or jetting or cams
(4) Never question me when it comes to exhaust.

If you follow these 4 simple guidelines you will never go wrong.   
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
I'll 2nd that. T Cro's coils are top notch items. There are certain things you don't do:
(2) Never question T Cro when it comes to coils

Or Shift Linkage Kits, Rear Rocker/Dog Leg Bushings...... giggle  ;)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Motor Head

Ok as the OP here, I plainly asked for Igniton Advancer Feedback.
 Now its just a waste of breath.
 Looks like I've Angered the Forum "GODS"
 Go ahead Bash away,  It won't change the fact of this thread became Off topic.
 But if you want, go ahead ride it boy's!!!
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
I started out on a HawkGT.  There was an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing revealed no gains in horsepower.
After that I had an SV650.  There was an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing revealed no gains in horsepower.
Now I have a Concours.  There is an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing reveals no gains in horsepower.
My friend Rick ran several R6's as track-only bikes.  He tried ignition advancers on a couple of them to get more midrange off the corner, there was no noticeable change in lap times.

While this is just anecdotal data at best (none of these dyno tests were performed on my bike, just by fellow enthusiasts); I see a trend here regarding ignition advancers.
Does that answer your question?
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Ok as the OP here, I plainly asked for Igniton Advancer Feedback.
 Now its just a waste of breath.
 Looks like I've Angered the Forum "GODS"
 Go ahead Bash away,  It won't change the fact of this thread became Off topic.
 But if you want, go ahead ride it boy's!!!

Angered the Forum "GODS" you say? No not really; perhaps slightly annoyed that in the very first reply to your question was a definitive answer of "Yeah, couldn't really tell any difference. Not like with the stick coils" To which several more posters chimed in with what helpful info they could offer about the advance plate as well numerous other mods which included the stick coils. The other mods as well the advance plate were discussed freely by you and others but  it seems that the mere mention of stick coils is steering your thread off topic....

In closing I don't see the thread as anything to ride as it is dead in the water due to one thing a negative attitude.

Good day...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Motor Head

I started out on a HawkGT.  There was an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing revealed no gains in horsepower.
After that I had an SV650.  There was an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing revealed no gains in horsepower.
Now I have a Concours.  There is an ignition advancer available for it; dyno testing reveals no gains in horsepower.
My friend Rick ran several R6's as track-only bikes.  He tried ignition advancers on a couple of them to get more midrange off the corner, there was no noticeable change in lap times.

While this is just anecdotal data at best (none of these dyno tests were performed on my bike, just by fellow enthusiasts); I see a trend here regarding ignition advancers.
Does that answer your question?

Yes this is the feedback info I would like, and appreciate your input.
 I would also like input from anyone who has done an Increase of timing advance and Tracked Fuel mileage both before and after. Doesn't have to be a bolt on Rotor, could ma just a Mod. Or the big buck replacement programmable box.
It is all taken in and absorbed, then maybe and maybe not, as to do anything at all. But good info, that's the quest.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
BTW While I'm not the first I am one of the few who have tried the advance plate and still run the advance plate simply cause I'm too lazy to see what the bike feels like today without it as it's been in there a long time. Long before Steve came out with the re-drilled exhaust sprocket which I do have as well as a DJ Jet kit with a K&N filter and free flowing exhaust. I like the way my engine runs and have no knock or ping but I'll honestly say that I do not recall much if any difference it made other than a tad better low end response. I don't track my MPG but in town it sucks as I expect it to but on the long stretch I get onto the mid 40's or a touch better.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Motor Head

BTW While I'm not the first I am one of the few who have tried the advance plate and still run the advance plate simply cause I'm too lazy to see what the bike feels like today without it as it's been in there a long time. Long before Steve came out with the re-drilled exhaust sprocket which I do have as well as a DJ Jet kit with a K&N filter and free flowing exhaust. I like the way my engine runs and have no knock or ping but I'll honestly say that I do not recall much if any difference it made other than a tad better low end response. I don't track my MPG but in town it sucks as I expect it to but on the long stretch I get onto the mid 40's or a touch better.

Is that with the +2 or +4, if you could clarify. I would suspect the +4. Thanks.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD