Author Topic: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?  (Read 15522 times)

Offline Conrad

What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/23/rocket-launch-will-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html

A California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a home-built rocket to prove that astronauts faked the shape of the Earth.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limo driver, said his stunt will be the first phase of the flat-Earth space program, sponsored by Research Flat Earth, a group that believes Earth is, well, flat.

The rocket should travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

“If you’re not scared to death, you’re an idiot,” Hughes said. “It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive. I like to do extraordinary things that no one else can do, and no one in the history of mankind has designed, built and launched himself in his own rocket.”

He claims to have built the steam-powered rocket out of scrap metal parts in his garage. The project cost around $20,000, including the purchase of a motor home off Craigslist that was converted into a ramp.

The daredevil’s aim is to get miles above Earth and snap a photo, proving that astronauts conspired to fabricate the shape of the planet.

“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

"I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula."
- Mike Hughes, flat-Earth believer

During an interview with a flat-Earth group in June, Hughes said his project will “shut the doors on this ball Earth.” But he acknowledged that he had much to learn about rocket science.

“This whole tech thing, I'm really behind the eight ball," he said.

Hughes, however, is not an absolute amateur when it comes to rocket science. He built his first rocket in 2014 and flew a quarter-mile in Arizona, though the flight left him injured.

But the Saturday’s planned launch will pose a challenge to the daredevil. Not only was the 2014 flight a quarter of the distance he expects to fly this Saturday, the previous rocket was based on round-earth technology, the Washington Post reported.

The project received the backing of the flat-earth community in America after Hughes became a flat-Earth supporter.

"We were kind of looking for new sponsors for this. And I'm a believer in the flat Earth," Hughes told the host of a flat-earth web show, the Post reported. "I researched it for several months."

According to the host, Hughes was a real explorer of scientific secrets and “not compromised by the government.”

“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons," Hughes said. "Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception."
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

Re: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »
He doesn't believe in science though.    :rotflmao:

Just wait till he's a 1,800 feet high in his home made rocket. He's going to have a crash course in the science of gravity.    :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
 You can’t fix stupid.  But he is sure going to give it a heck of a try.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
What a prat :rotflmao:   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
I think the key words here are:
.....the previous rocket was based on round-earth technology, the Washington Post reported.

The project [this more expensive one] received the backing of the flat-earth community in America after Hughes became a flat-Earth supporter.

Like some politicians will say anything to get elected, sometimes daredevils/researchers will say anything to get funded.

1,800 feet, doesn't seem very high, I wonder why he isn't just using a Cessna?...Oh right, where's the fun in that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
I would be surprised if the local authorities, FAA, CIA, and FBI let him go through with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
Publicity stunt.

He probably tried giving out a couple of up-skirt photos and when that did not go anywhere, this was his next best idea.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
just hope his planned flight path isnt in the direction of North Korea ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
If he survives this he's going to debunk the moon landing.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
1,800 feet?????  That's not even as high as a small hill here in Washington State.  What does he hope to see from there?  The top of some garage roofs?  And what the heck is "round earth technology"?

Dufus.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 05:28:29 AM »
You're being kind.   He's an F'n idiot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
Instead of a steam powered rocket maybe the dork should build a large scale version of this model.

What's the worst thing that could happen with one of these? Maybe get his rocket stuck on the garage roof?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »
I do not know but it looks to me like some of those rounded pieces could end up someplace they do not belong. Just sayin'.

Brian

Instead of a steam powered rocket maybe the dork should build a large scale version of this model.

What's the worst thing that could happen with one of these? Maybe get his rocket stuck on the garage roof?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
...but then again....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »

Wow, they still make those things! I had one of those when I was a child. (1950s) I recall mine was a two stage model made of white plastic with a transparent red tip (EZ boyz). I don't recall the two stage action working very well. Sometimes it fell to the ground and the hard impact would set the second stage off and it would spin around in the grass.
 ....ahhh yes those were the days my friends...polio; bomb shelters; footwear abuse at the UN; sputnik; cigarette smoke everywhere; separate water fountains; TV dinners; and...and...Cheez Whiz!
Just to get back on topic sorta, there where no pictures (fake or otherwise) from space showing a round earth. Only world globes made by those Replogle conspirators. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
They must be using round earth technology.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

It's hard to believe there are really people that stupid out there.  But, alas.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

It's hard to believe there are really people that stupid out there.  But, alas.

Really? It's proven everyday.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
Unfortunately, that is all too true. And I am not really sure it is pure stupidity or a combination of a lack of attention coupled with mental laziness. At any rate, it really can be amazing how foolish people can act. For most of my life, I attributed most bad behavior to malice but I finally realized that if just 'dumb' could result in the same behavior, it was much more probably that than malice.

But I still think this guy is just doing what he is doing for publicity, attention and very probably, in some way or another, money.

Brian

Really? It's proven everyday.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
I would almost pay to see him stick the landing in that lawn dart.