Author Topic: The motorcycle feeling (just ramblin')  (Read 2641 times)

Offline anycleavers

The motorcycle feeling (just ramblin')
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
I'm riding home from work today, went about 45 miles out of my way for a cup of coffee. All the while, the clouds are pressing down, threatening rain. As I'm getting further away from home, in very possible thunderstorm conditions, I'm having a conversation with myself along the lines of "are you f_ing stupid, it's going to storm any minute now, turn around and head back", but I can't, I just keep going.  I then begin to question, "what is this feeling that riding gives you? Is there a word for it? The one that makes you ride toward the storm instead of turning for safe haven, the one that makes you go out in cold weather that most people won't drive a car in, the one that sometimes puts common sense aside. I really can't put my finger on it. I'm just happier, full of bliss. Maybe it's because I'm just thinking about riding, better, faster, smoother, and the worries and woes of real life don't have room to creep in.  I don't know, words fail me, but I'm writing this at almost 9:30pm, it's 53 degrees out, I'm weary from a long week of work and should be getting my old ass in bed, but I think I'm going to go for a short night ride. Be safe
"Always take the long way home."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: The motorcycle feeling (just ramblin')
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
Probably something to do with releasing more endorphins.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:07:22 AM »
I know that feeling very well. Like you, it's hard to put into words. A feeling of oneness in a way...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »
Camped near Peaks of Otter Hotel in VA, I could easily have walked over to the dining room for dinner. Instead, with a storm threatening, I took the winding route 43 down 20 km into Bedford, had a great time. Never did rain.

BTW, two bikes are more than twice as therapeutic as one.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
It's not about motorcycling.  The same thing happens to me when I'm out hiking a rough trail,or sailing into a squall, or riding my bicycle into the teeth of the wind, etc.  It's the need for, and the call of, adventure.  Every now and then, we have a need to escape the hum-drum monotony of our inside, heated, air-conditioned, wife-nagged, girl-friend-whined, protected existence, and GET OUT THERE, and just LIVE.  (For our female members, just change the pronouns to the male equivalents, and its all the same.)  We get into that mind-set, and want the adventure to continue even in the face of horrendous weather, great discomfort, and (some) pain.  It is the same mindset that lead Byrd, Scott, Amundsen, Shackleton, Earhart, Columbus, et all, to leave the comfort of their homes, and go see what's out there.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
We have a Tag game on another site I'm on... I'm notorious for going out and moving the tag @ 2am-4am.  I'm always asked, why?  Why so early?  Why not do it during daylight?  It's because there is nobody else out running those lonely 2 lane roads that early in the morning...  I can usually putt along as slow as I want... or I can crank it up as fast as I want.  It's me, the bike, the road... and the moon.  I even get to find a lonely gas station attendant out in a small town that'll buy me a cup a coffee once in a while... free coffee!

Nothing like two wheel therapy.  :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
It's not about motorcycling.  The same thing happens to me when I'm out hiking a rough trail,or sailing into a squall, or riding my bicycle into the teeth of the wind, etc.  It's the need for, and the call of, adventure.  Every now and then, we have a need to escape the hum-drum monotony of our inside, heated, air-conditioned, wife-nagged, girl-friend-whined, protected existence, and GET OUT THERE, and just LIVE.  (For our female members, just change the pronouns to the male equivalents, and its all the same.)  We get into that mind-set, and want the adventure to continue even in the face of horrendous weather, great discomfort, and (some) pain.  It is the same mindset that lead Byrd, Scott, Amundsen, Shackleton, Earhart, Columbus, et all, to leave the comfort of their homes, and go see what's out there.

+1 Life can be too ordinary. I had a teacher in college that often said "Variety is the spice of life and I like mine well seasoned."

I had someone ask me once, "How can you spend hours riding alone with no one to talk to and nothing to listen to?" I replied, "You have to learn to be a peace with your own thoughts and this is how I do it." They didn't get it. Same with hiking, bicycling, and other stuff.   A friend of mine's wife told my wife that her husband's bike was cheaper than all the therapy she had put him through and a whole lot more effective.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
Good times for sure AC!  :chugbeer:

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
"How can you spend hours riding alone with no one to talk to and nothing to listen to?"

That's another thing I don't understand. A few of the guys see me ride into work so we start talking bikes. A couple of guys are going to sell the bikes they own because there is no one to ride with.   :o
While I'm not antisocial by any means, and there are a few guys I go riding with, I just really enjoy getting on and heading west into the farmlands and wandering, destination unknown. Therapeutic for sure. But hell, to each his own I say.
Someday I'll get brave enough and start the camping thing, that just looks like a blast, but rather daunting when you've never camped before.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Since my return to the motorcycling and being a Concourian again I had an event change my way of thinking about motorcycling in general.
I volunteered to be part of the motorcycle team for traffic control at this years Weekend to end women's Cancerhttp://www.endcancer.ca/ . I usually walk the 60 km weekend walk but took a break this year. Still wanted to part of the event so this was my contribution. The first day was awesome weather but Sunday was marred by the tail end of Irene. I stood and rode in a torrential downpour most of the day. I rode home at the end of the day and it was raining, I mean RAINING and HIGH WINDS.
When I got home I thought about my day and despite the god awful weather not once did think "what a crapy day and crapy weather". The truth I had an awesome day and in a really funny way embraced the rain! Since that day I have ridden my Connie EVERY day to work (1 hour one way)  rain or shine, hot or cold.
A sick side affect of this new found love for rain and riding is I really don't care what my bike looks like! yes like everyone I love a clean bike, but if i balk at riding for fear my bike gets dirty I don't get to enjoy the smells of the "after rain". You know what I'm talking about, those smells that emanate from along the roadside whether forest or fields.
Bottom line, I am once again what I call a "real" rider and I'm glad to return to such a status!

Oh and anycleavers I like to ride alone, easier to "manage".

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:07:40 AM »
I'll keep this short, so you can ride.
The endorphine thing is an accutate breakdown. I know it is the thing we like almost as much, but it does last a whole lot longer.  ;D
I have found that the mental centerness is the big hitter with me. I just feel better after a ride, doesn't really matter how long it is, as long as it is a ride.
I am not looking forward to another Winter season here in Ohio, but, like the day, it will pass, and another riding season will be here.
Just ride, and ride safely.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
Come south, young man. That's why Bob Evans (an Ohioan I think) had ONE store in Atlanta. It's 1/2 way to the others in FL.
2014 C-14 Red