Author Topic: city lights  (Read 31996 times)

Offline bigfraid

Re: city lights
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
Here is the link to the leds I bought,when I get a chance I will take another pick with one led and another side with factory light.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-hv.html

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
when I get a chance I will take another pick with one led and another side with factory light.

That would be really great!   :finger_fing11:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:01 AM »
Here is the other pics sorry it took so long.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 07:48:19 AM »
Here is the other pics sorry it took so long.
here is 2 more hope this helps out.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
sooo... next question  ;D
how do I get to those little fellas there at the nose of the bike? from underneath? I'd look it up in the manual but I'm at work...  :-[

Martin, don't know if this was answered for you but there is a black panel under your front fairing held in by 4 Nylon Rivets. Pop those rivets and pull that panel out and then reach up and pull the City Lights out...the are held in with tension. It's actually pretty easy to do.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
I was shocked how much brighter the LED city lights are, and brings my bike out of the yellowish lantern horse and carriage days and into today. 

Many thanks for the good folks on this forum  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »
here is 2 more hope this helps out.

Very much so.  There is no question that THOSE yellow LED's are every bit as bright as stock white incandescent, even a little brighter.  Very impressive and much better than the VLED's I purchased not long ago.  Very nice upgrade.   Thanks
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
Very much so.  There is no question that THOSE yellow LED's are every bit as bright as stock white incandescent, even a little brighter.  Very impressive and much better than the VLED's I purchased not long ago.  Very nice upgrade.   Thanks
your welcome.have a great day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2016, 03:26:50 AM »
They arrived a few days ago and I installed them last night.  Of course, I wanted a good comparison, so I replaced only the left city light (right in the photo).  You can see the results in the attached photo.  The amber LED from VLEDS is just barely as bright as the incandescent it replaces, and is a bit deeper amber color.  So I just spent $20 and did not give me a brighter light.  The bulb will likely last longer, and it has a nicer color, and it pulls less power- but none of those were my objective.

And now I have replaced the older VLED brand, above, with "JDM Astar" brand amber LED bulbs and I am finally satisfied (extremely).  The JDM bulbs have 24 3014 SMD (3mm x1.4mm surface mount device) LED chips , with 6 of them facing forward and 18 around the rim.    My estimate it is that it is almost twice as bright as incandescent or VLED brand and the light pattern is 100% as good as incandescent (in the "city lights" application).  And the icing on the cake is that they were only $13 for the pair!  Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0  Lots of photos to follow...

[Continued on next post]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:10:58 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 03:28:15 AM »
Lots of photos to follow...

[Continued from last post]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:10:35 PM by maxtog »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
Thanks Max! I just placed an order with Amazon for these.

So these just plug right in?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
Just put two sets of these JDM Astars in my shopping cart. Thanks for the tip; good thread resurrection.

2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »
Thanks Max! I just placed an order with Amazon for these.

So these just plug right in?

Yep.  Took all of 5 minutes to pop off the chin and put them in.   Next up, the turn signals/running lights... rears were done in 2 minutes, fronts will take a loooong time.  Working on it right now (pulled the bike into the 93 degree garage).  More info coming....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
Just put two sets of these JDM Astars in my shopping cart.

You should only need one set, unless you have two Concourses (Concoursi?)  ("City lights" are only two bulbs)

Thanks for the tip; good thread resurrection

Love that Thriller reference!

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
I bought two sets because some of the amazon reviews spoke of them burning out quickly, so I wanted some spares. Of course you never know how folks are using them. C14 city lights should be a low stress environment for these bulbs.

Are you using these same bulbs for the blinkers/running lights? Yes, the carports are HOT today. I changed fluids at 10pm the other night and it wasn't so bad.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
I bought two sets because some of the amazon reviews spoke of them burning out quickly, so I wanted some spares. Of course you never know how folks are using them. C14 city lights should be a low stress environment for these bulbs.

I am not sure which is more wear- just being on, or blinking.  They don't blink, but I don't think blinking bothers LED bulbs like it does incandescent.  I hope they last.

Are you using these same bulbs for the blinkers/running lights?

They are not the same bulb, but same brand, yes.  And I just finished.  WOW, again.  That review should be up by tomorrow night.

Yes, the carports are HOT today. I changed fluids at 10pm the other night and it wasn't so bad.

Even with a fan going, three hours in that garage (and after mowing the lawn) was about all I could stand.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:33 AM »
I am not sure which is more wear- just being on, or blinking.  They don't blink, but I don't think blinking bothers LED bulbs like it does incandescent.  I hope they last.

They are not the same bulb, but same brand, yes.  And I just finished.  WOW, again.  That review should be up by tomorrow night.

Did you have an issue with hyper flashing and did you have to use a load resistor to stop it?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

sailor_chic

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
Did you have an issue with hyper flashing and did you have to use a load resistor to stop it?

Did you say hot flashes, why yes I do. Lol!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2016, 07:47:39 AM »

I'm thinking that a load resistor won't help in this case.    ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »
This might help for hot bulbs...