Author Topic: Who Dual Sports?  (Read 7925 times)

Son of Pappy

Who Dual Sports?
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
I'll be doing a ride this weekend on the KLR, plan on cow trails and forrest roads.  Looking to scout out the area for an upcoming Adventure Camp.  Last ride before I go under the knife.  I'll post pics and locations once I'm able.  Any special pic requests?  Keep in mind the scantily clad women I would encounter will not have a camera pointed at them.  I can find some turkeys, deer, grouse, and hopefully a beer.  The critters may not all survive, those that dont will be consumed in the grandest of fashion.  I'll be riding West of Tonasket, WA, vicinity Wannacut Lake and Ellemeham MT.  Leaving tomorow early.  My cell is one nimber left 47-3970449  - would be 0.  Call if your'e interested in a nice ride, tent space is readily available and the food will be plenty :D
Dual sport is required, connie aint up to these trails.

Chet

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Who Dual Sports?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:11:27 AM »
Wish I could join ya on my WR250R!!!!!! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline booger

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Used to.  Here is my last KLR

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
Sure wish I had some company!  Some of the routes aint lone wolf material, so I spent most of the time building a 12X24 shed/roof for the motor home, didn't want it resemblen a cruched beer can.  Also got the top coat on the road.  Things needed done.  Guess the big ride will wait for a few weeks, hopefully the healing comes quick, and, no, I'll listen to the doc, I dont want to end up worse. 

Come Spring time I'll post up, see if we can get a DS ride thrown together, I may even drag out the YZ, like riding a  :yikes: tractor vs a frightened cat.

Offline Alpha One Nine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
I would be interested in some dual sporting in the spring.    I have a 05 KLR650.  I'm in Spokane
Rick
1995 ZG1000 - The Road Bike
2005 WR450F - The Dirt Bike
2005 KLR650 - The KLR

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
Cool beans!  Where at in Spokane?  I lived in the valley for 4+ years, recruited for the Army out of the Opportunity station (it's by the mall now).  My oldest daughter graduated from East Valley HS.  Spokane is a nice town, spread out more then most realize.  I used to go to an open range out at Micah, an old retired Marine owned it, they had steel targets out to 1000 yards, awesome place to shoot.
Have you done any mods to your '05?  I did the .02 cent mod, Q4 pipe, MSR pegs, and trail tech LED lights.  Bike is like a tractor short two wheels ;D

Offline Alpha One Nine

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
Spokane Valley near 32nd & Bowdish.

I think we chatted a bit on the old forum just after I bought my Connie.  I was using another screen name I think.

My KLR has been through various phases of farkledom. 
The engine is pretty much stock except for the Eagle doo and torsion spring.  I too have done the 22cent mod, drilled the slide and adjusted the idle screw.
I have a Thermobob that I like in cold weather.   I have changed my mind a few times regarding radiator/plastic protection.   I had the Happy Trail nerf bars for a few years and busted more radiator shrouds than before I added them.   I finally gave up and put an IMS tank on in June.   I went down pretty hard in late July and the tank handled it much better than my ribs did.
I have done the drill-through subframe bolt mod and drilled out the tweety tube in the tail pipe.
It has Protaper SE ATV High handlebars sitting on Eagle 38mm bar risers.   Sometimes it’s a real shock to jump from this to the Connie.  Luggage wise I’m using a Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Nelson Rigg CL-850 saddle bags using racks I bought from ebay and a Doskocil waterproof case mounted to another big rack I bought from ebay.   There is a hardwired Garmin power supply and GPS mount plus a few other power connectors for a phone and heated riding gear.  I put one of those PIAA Extreme White Plus Anti Vibration bulbs in the headlight fixture but I’m still undecided as to weather it was worth the $45 I paid for it.

I love my KLR but it is a big heavy pig off-road and down right scary in mud or any other unstable riding surface.  I’m currently shopping for an actual dirt bike I can take places that I would not want to take the KLR.   I’m specially looking for a 04 through 06 WR450F.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:54:10 PM by Alpha One Nine »
Rick
1995 ZG1000 - The Road Bike
2005 WR450F - The Dirt Bike
2005 KLR650 - The KLR

Offline jayke

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
I've got an '09 KLR 650 in addition to my C14.  I bought it as a new leftover in March.  Pretty much stock, Givi crashbars, Tall factory windshield and tail bag.

I just put Audiovox cruise on it.  Works pretty good, but still have some tweaking to do with the dip switch settings.

I use it for rough pavement back roads and gravel / dirt roads.   The only time I’ve had it off road I managed to bury both wheels up to the axles in mud.  Didn’t think I’d ever get it out.  The KLR is a pig in the mud with stock tires.  I won’t be doing that again.

Still fun to explore those roads I’d never go down on the C14. 

I'm in Indiana so I won't be riding with you guys but have fun.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
Just got an 06 klr, had to have a neon green one. All farked out, last owner put 300 miles on in 3 1/2 years. I did that today!
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
I'm turning a Honda CB700sc into a dual sport.  Currently looking for a relatively inexpensive XR650R front end to graft on.  May be done by end of summer.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »
I'm turning a Honda CB700sc into a dual sport.  Currently looking for a relatively inexpensive XR650R front end to graft on.  May be done by end of summer.

Yay for ADV!
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline gnuse

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:14:15 AM »
+1 for ADV and Forest Service roads in the mountains of the S.E.
I always wanted a green KLR, but for some reason Kawasaki isn't in love with green as much anymore. I have a BMW Dakar 650 for when I need to head off the beaten path.

"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »
+1 for ADV and Forest Service roads in the mountains of the S.E.
I always wanted a green KLR, but for some reason Kawasaki isn't in love with green as much anymore. I have a BMW Dakar 650 for when I need to head off the beaten path.

I really like the Dak 650, really nice DS.