Author Topic: Marriage- what's the point?  (Read 14446 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Marriage- what's the point?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:11 AM »
Back on topic, thermostats and marriage are great, but so is single life  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 06:27:38 AM »
Until you get old...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
That's a real no sheeter right there.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
I married first time when I was 20. Married about 8 years, two kids. For reasons I don't really care to discuss in a public forum, that one ended.

I married again (with one stepson) and am about to reach the 28 year mark (with one college graduate that's ours). We have always shared bank accounts and bills. It's our money, our house, our thermostat, etc. We discuss potential purchases and we don't buy anything that I don't get her permission on (8)). Over the years we've gone through her making the most money for awhile, but now I do. Either way, it's still OUR money so we spend it to our mutual benefit.

Oh, and as far as that thermostat, she defers to my judgment almost 100% of the time and I just toss her a throw blanket when she asks me for one (year round).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 02:39:28 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »
Retire to the Philippines. Your money will go farther, too.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:34 PM »
Why would I want to marry when I get older? Serious question. I've been thinking when I'm older I should settle down and marry but then I can't think of why I would do that?

If I don't man-up and marry Teressa, one day she may bail on me though.

Thus far she's smiling though  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 04:53:09 AM »
  For me 41 years next week.  Happy  YES!!  She also my riding partner we have riden thousand s of miles together. Some on 1 bike.
Mostly with her riding her own. I think we have riden in 23 states so far. Joint bank account since day 1. and I never look at the thermostat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »
Why would I want to marry when I get older? Serious question. I've been thinking when I'm older I should settle down and marry but then I can't think of why I would do that?

Again serious question and per topic what's the point ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
Well, recently, in Ohio, all medical benefits have been cancelled to unmarried couples, so it may be an economic one for some. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »
Well, recently, in Ohio, all medical benefits have been cancelled to unmarried couples, so it may be an economic one for some. ;D

My company covers my medical no matter what state I reside in  ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »
That may very well change with the recent Supreme Court ruling.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
That may very well change with the recent Supreme Court ruling.

So single people won't have health insurance? ? Dude that's funny!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »

Back on topic of what's the point, my question was serious please help me understand  ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
The question was what is the point of getting married, what I said was now people who lived together now will have to get married to get benefits, a point to think about when asking about whether to get married or not. If 2 people choose not to get married, they can get benefits as single people, but it will cost a lot more than if they were married. I thought the point was very relevant and I thought it was certainly something to think about in coming months. BTW, I lived with my wife for 4 years before getting married in 1992 and type of benefits, health, dental, eyes, car, house, etc... was far less expensive married than as 2 single people.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
Oh OK, understood thanks. I don't live with her, plus I don't think saving a few bux on rent and benefits is the reason I'd marry is why I missed the point, my bad. Other than as a business proposition for cheaper health care is there a point?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »
The question was what is the point of getting married, what I said was now people who lived together now will have to get married to get benefits, a point to think about when asking about whether to get married or not. If 2 people choose not to get married, they can get benefits as single people, but it will cost a lot more than if they were married. I thought the point was very relevant and I thought it was certainly something to think about in coming months. BTW, I lived with my wife for 4 years before getting married in 1992 and type of benefits, health, dental, eyes, car, house, etc... was far less expensive married than as 2 single people.

Could you explain to me how the house car and etc. became cheaper by being married versus just living together? None of that happened to me when I married. The only thing I noticed was that the income taxes went up immediately.

I'm not sure there is much benefit anymore. I guess perhaps the auto insurance might be better, but I'm not sure that marriage is required since they refer to it as a multi-car household or multi-car discount. Perhaps just a common address is all that is needed.  Living together would save the same amount on home (be it rent split or dual ownership of a home neither requires marriage) utilities etc all the same regardless of marriage. Until recently the health insurance benefits saved money, but with Obama Care?..maybe not. If one person in a live together relationship has good insurance and pay, the other person may qualify for partial government funding of their health insurance and they may end up paying less than what the primary earner would pay extra to get family coverage. Even if children are in the mix (for health coverage purposes) I think only dependency is needed for them to be covered not marriage. The health insurance savings question could go either way as to which saves more money, but it would vary on each situation and wouldn't really be all that much savings to get married for I would think. I'm probably missing something, but it seems that only making health care decisions for another (unable to do so for themselves) and the rare family only access in medical crisis are the advantages now, and with enough forethought those might be served with powers of attorney documents instead of a marriage certificate. If I recall correctly, older folks are not getting married, but rather living together in many cases so that Social security doesn't lower their benefits.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 04:28:27 AM »

No, I don't hate (disclaimer- nor have I ever been married).  Just an observation.  Based on....

I just see almost every marriage fail.  And with each generation it seems to get more prevalent.

My mother told me a long time ago, that there are two main reasons that marriages fail: Disagreements over money and/or children.
Not that there's anything wrong with money OR children, but they both become things to fight over. (My wife and I both came from divorces that happened when were too young to remember)

I don't think I thought much of her comments at the time, but all these years later, what she said does appear to be true. I can only comment on what I see and what I'm exposed to in my little world of course;). A good friend of mine in his mid-30's is currently going through a really nasty separation...three young children, and no money. He is an absolutely fantastic father (from the little I see) but he's starting down a very difficult road.

I have no idea about what the laws are in the states...but here in Canada...it doesn't really matter whether a couple is married or not. Once two people are living together...according to every legal aspect, they ARE married.

The few couples that we know that are not married, are simply not married due to the costs involved. A wedding costs money.

The question was what is the point of getting married, what I said was now people who lived together now will have to get married to get benefits, a point to think about when asking about whether to get married or not.

That's interesting...

Are couples having to get married to get family medical insurance?

Of course things are different here in Canada with our so-called "free" healthcare, but we still do have separate medical / health insurance that we can buy through our employers or 3rd party...but there's no cost savings in being married. The price is the price, per person. I pay about $235/month for both my wife and I, and it covers all the extra stuff that our national healthcare program doesn't cover...dental, eye care, short and long term disability, etc.

My wife and I have been together for 18 years, and married for 16. We had a quick and dirty cheap JOP wedding that cost next to nothing. For me...I wouldn't necessarily say what is the point of getting married, but I would say hat is the point of a big massive expensive wedding when the money can usually be better used elsewhere.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »
Oh OK, understood thanks. I don't live with her, plus I don't think saving a few bux on rent and benefits is the reason I'd marry is why I missed the point, my bad. Other than as a business proposition for cheaper health care is there a point?

Other than the business proposition, the only point of getting married is showing that you are willing to commit to a monogamous life with one person through all the good and all the bad.  Today, marriage has lost that commitment.  So, other than doing it because you are being faithful to your God, there is no reason to get married. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »

The few couples that we know that are not married, are simply not married due to the costs involved. A wedding costs money.

My wife and I have been together for 18 years, and married for 16. We had a quick and dirty cheap JOP wedding that cost next to nothing. For me...I wouldn't necessarily say what is the point of getting married, but I would say hat is the point of a big massive expensive wedding when the money can usually be better used elsewhere.

Rem

You had a next to nothing cost wedding.  Sounds like your friends are just using the cost as an excuse.  Many people have commitment issues.  There are times when I am not fun to live with.  There are times when my wife is not fun to live with.  If one of us had a major illness to battle, it could wipe out both our retirement plans.  If you are single, you only have to think about you, and your decisions only affect you.  Marriage can be too much responsibility for some folks.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077