Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 9823 times)

Offline JerBear

Opinions please
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
I prefer Gen1 bikes styling and otherwise.  I do not have ABS and would like to get one with it.  I found a 09 ABS (new) within 200 miles of me at a dealership.  I do not care for Black (too hard to keep clean and absorbs solar heat too much) but I could work with it if I got a great price.  What do you various owners think the best price is, approximately? :grouphug:
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
Wow, a new '09? What was list in '09?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
I prefer Gen1 bikes styling and otherwise.

What is the "otherwise"?  The lack of heated grips?  The missing windshield memory?  The yucky red (non-white) dash lighting?  The non-existent computer grip switch and eco mode?  Worse drain pan?  More annoying mirror height?  Smaller/less effective windscreen?  No midpipe heat deflector?  Having less senors?  (Etc)

I mean, I can understand some people not linking linked brakes or having a color preference, and maybe the fairings (although I think the gen1 fairings are far less attractive)....   But otherwise (and cost/resale aside), I don't know why anyone would "prefer" a Gen1... over a Gen2 especially if given the option between a new 2009 and a new 2014.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:05 AM »
I prefer Gen1 bikes styling and otherwise.  I do not have ABS and would like to get one with it.  I found a 09 ABS (new) within 200 miles of me at a dealership.  I do not care for Black (too hard to keep clean and absorbs solar heat too much) but I could work with it if I got a great price.  What do you various owners think the best price is, approximately? :grouphug:

Geez, I dunno. $9999?

I had an 08 before my 2010, and I like the styling of both models;).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
What is the "otherwise"?  The lack of heated grips?  The missing windshield memory?  The yucky red (non-white) dash lighting?  The non-existent computer grip switch and eco mode?  Worse drain pan?  More annoying mirror height?  Smaller/less effective windscreen?  No midpipe heat deflector?  Having less senors?  (Etc)

I mean, I can understand some people not linking linked brakes or having a color preference, and maybe the fairings (although I think the gen1 fairings are far less attractive)....   But otherwise (and cost/resale aside), I don't know why anyone would "prefer" a Gen1... over a Gen2 especially if given the option between a new 2009 and a new 2014.

You got it, I don't want linked brakes, I do prefer the "lines" of the Gen1 fairing, I don't want or need windshield memory and prefer the smaller windscreen and have bought another one from a guy that didn't like his, heated grips are (for me) a seldom used luxury that I can install myself for 80 buck if I decide I need them and "ECO" is unneeded for me I don't slab.  The only upside (for me) on the Gen2 is the mirror placement and completely black seat but even that may get changed to a Corbin.  I am the type of guy that buys a bike and just keeps on riding it.  I maintain them and just drive.  I don't really care what the "next new thing" is if I'm happy with what I have but what I have did not come with ABS.  I want that but will not throw tons of money at it just to get it.

All I wanted was a few thoughts from other owners about what they thought a OTD cost would be before I contact the dealer.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
I tried to modify that an disappeared it instead.  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »

I was wondering what was going on... I kept trying to find what he was referencing! :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »

You want it back?  I can make the disappeared reappear.  I don't take plastic, only beer and shrubbery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
JB,
I bought my 09 ABS new for $10k as a leftover model in the Fall of 2010 when the 2011's were hitting the shops, so I'd think maybe $9K?  :-\

Good luck!  :chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
I was wondering what was going on... I kept trying to find what he was referencing! :)
A point by point rebuttal.... nothing earth shattering.  :)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
I dont understand why a dealer has a five year old "new" bike.  I doubt the price will be good enough to justify the sale. Otherwise, they'd have sold it on 2010, 11, 12 or 13.   

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Look up the NADA value on a used '09 concours because that is what it will be worth the moment you sign the paperwork.  Unless Kawasaki had some type of incentive to provide the dealer to sell it, or he picked it up at auction from a going out of business dealer, he will have to sell it below his cost to even move it out the door.  So unless he needs to free up some cash, he might as well keep it or part it out on ebay.  Check out Kawasaki's website to see if there are any incentives on this bike.

Good Luck, and ultimately if this is the bike you want and want to start with a new one then make your best deal and don't worry about what others would pay.

BTW: I would make him put new rubber on the wheels since they are now up to 5 years old.  Have him put new batteries in the TPS while he is changing the tires.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Very good info
I would buy a used one with farkles that I would want to buy anyhow, I've seen some super deals between this site and the ... other  :grouphug:

Given the weather I would think It's let's make a deal time.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »
JerBear, by chance is the bike you are looking at at Ken's Sports in Kaukauna, WI?  I see they still have one on their website. 

For some reason (besides me owning one of course  ;) ) I also like the styling of the 08s and 09s more than the new ones.  There is a little too much swooping of the front fairing on the new ones for me, of course that's not to say I wouldn't get one if something unfortunate happened to my bike. 

As for this bike, I'd be curious the history.  I know in the past Ken's (of course assuming we are talking about the same bike) would get deals on old stock or demo units and for a while had 5+ different 08 demo bikes for sale.  I'd be a little leery about the bike sitting 5+ years, but if you can verify the 3 year warranty is good, its not as much of an issue. 

I would say if you are interested, call them and bring up that NADA average retail is $8875 http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2009/Kawasaki/ZG1400A9F-CONCOURS-14ABS-1352cc/Values and go from there.  If they want to deal, they will, if they want to hold to their asking price, look elsewhere. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline JerBear

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
Yes, that is the bike I was looking at.  Thank you for the info.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline theAmazingKickstand

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
I had a used '08 and now have a '12 that I got new for $12.5k.
I too much prefer the first gen styling and would rather pay $9.5k for a new '09 than $12.5k for a new current model.....only if it's brand new with 0 miles, not a demo.
The linked brakes are horrible and the windshield memory is a pain cuz none of the positions are right for me. I always have to readjust! I will be disconnecting my linked brakes when I get the chance. Don't pay too much but don't sweat about paying a few pennies over "killer deal" status. My '08 showed me that this would be my 150k mile bike so I don't mind depriciation/not getting the absolute best deal on the planet.
g'luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 05:40:00 AM »
the windshield memory is a pain cuz none of the positions are right for me. I always have to readjust!

Then turn off the memory and don't use it...  no big whoop.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:42 AM »
I had a used '08 and now have a '12 that I got new for $12.5k.
I too much prefer the first gen styling and would rather pay $9.5k for a new '09 than $12.5k for a new current model.....only if it's brand new with 0 miles, not a demo.
The linked brakes are horrible and the windshield memory is a pain cuz none of the positions are right for me. I always have to readjust! I will be disconnecting my linked brakes when I get the chance. Don't pay too much but don't sweat about paying a few pennies over "killer deal" status. My '08 showed me that this would be my 150k mile bike so I don't mind depriciation/not getting the absolute best deal on the planet.
g'luck.

I always run mine in the lowest position unless it is raining or very cold.  I put an 08 screen on it for the summer.  I don't race, or brake late so I have no issues with the linked brakes.

If the new '09 was the red one, then I would say go for it.  Best color so far in the US.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 08:30:19 AM »
Then turn off the memory and don't use it...  no big whoop.

When you guys refer to "windshield memory" what is it you mean?  Or are you referring to the way it moves to the lowest position when turning the bike off?

I know I've only had the bike a few months, but have I missed something?

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......