Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143487 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
5/8 just like the link shows  ;D
Duh!....thanks :nuts:
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
I will take a pic when I get home. There is not enough clearance to get a ratchet and socket of the nut. You can only use a wrench and if it isn't fine tooth you will be there a while because you can only swing the wrench about 5 degrees through the fairing vents.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
Someone called about this yesterday and I was having a hard time understanding him. Can't you just use an extender on a normal socket wrench and cinch that bad boy down? He was saying there wasn't enough room for him to twist his normal socket wrench to tighten the bolt down but I believe he was trying to tighten it from inside the fairing. All you need to do is access that bolt from the exterior of the fairing with a basic socket wrench extender. Unless, of course, I'm missing something. This has already come up a few times though so I would like to completely understand what the problem is. Maybe someone can take a photo of the issue at hand?

Pretty sure he is talking about the top nut on the strut facing the front of the bike. I was able to get a socket on it and you can only get one click at a time between the plastic vents but only took a minute or 2 to get it done.

The nut in question on the right side:

Now the same nut with socket wrench on it:

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
Someone called about this yesterday and I was having a hard time understanding him. Can't you just use an extender on a normal socket wrench and cinch that bad boy down? He was saying there wasn't enough room for him to twist his normal socket wrench to tighten the bolt down but I believe he was trying to tighten it from inside the fairing. All you need to do is access that bolt from the exterior of the fairing with a basic socket wrench extender. Unless, of course, I'm missing something. This has already come up a few times though so I would like to completely understand what the problem is. Maybe someone can take a photo of the issue at hand?
First get the brackets through the fins then mount to the back bolt by the seat. Do not screw the cages to the front motor mount until you get the top welded bolt of the support bracket through the hole in the top of the cage. Then insert allen bolt for motor mount, and insert allen bolt for lower end of support bracket. It takes almost three hands but I was able to do it by myself with no scratches. Once you have the front allens semi-tight you need to put the nut on the welded bolt of the support bracket, hopefully you do not have fat fingers. A gear wrench makes it easy to tighten this nut on the left side, but on the right side it is near impossible to tighten that nut without a gear wrench. I suppose one could get a socket on it if you remove the radiator hose but you will still chance beating up the fins on your fairing if you use a socket wrench.

Does that make sense?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
First get the brackets through the fins then mount to the back bolt by the seat. Do not screw the cages to the front motor mount until you get the top welded bolt of the support bracket through the hole in the top of the cage. Then insert allen bolt for motor mount, and insert allen bolt for lower end of support bracket. It takes almost three hands but I was able to do it by myself with no scratches. Once you have the front allens semi-tight you need to put the nut on the welded bolt of the support bracket, hopefully you do not have fat fingers. A gear wrench makes it easy to tighten this nut on the left side, but on the right side it is near impossible to tighten that nut without a gear wrench. I suppose one could get a socket on it if you remove the radiator hose but you will still chance beating up the fins on your fairing if you use a socket wrench.

Does that make sense?

As you can see I was able to get the socket on it without removing the hose. Just squeeze it a bit. Yes I beat up the fins but they were already beat up. You could just put some tape over the fins first.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
I'll bet that you could get this ratchet/socket combo on that nut without much of a problem.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8819.msg107232#msg107232

I bought myself that set and it's the best ratchet set that I've ever used. I raved about this set to some of my friends and two of them bought it, they say the same thing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
5/8?  That's not metric!!! ARRRGH!  LOL

Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Received my UPS gift this morning (exactly 1 week from CA). Hope to get them mounted up later, but summer decided to move in with 95 degree temps and extreme humidity. VA summers suck!

Tell me about it.  One day it was 70, low humidity and beautiful.  Suddenly I feel like I am in a pressure cooker again.  As a native Virginian, I guess I am not allowed to complain, though.  But geeze....

Oh how I wish my bar order were shipped!

5/8?  That's not metric!!! ARRRGH!  LOL

Really?  There shouldn't be anything on the bike non-metric...  that wold be extremely annoying.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
Finally home. I see someone beat me to the pictures.  :)

Yes I suppose you could get a ratchet on it but (after going to the garage and trying it) I would still go with a ratchet wrench in order to protect the fairing pieces. With a ratchet and socket on it it wants to push into the fairing and or the cage pretty hard. BTW I used a 16mm to tighten it so I felt better about the install. LOL
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
16mm...5/8 are very close to the same size. My socket set goes from 15 to 17 and I do not have metric gear wrenches yet. Guess what i am buying?

Apologize for the confusion.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
You ordered chrome, correct? The chroming process takes quite a bit longer than powder coating due to the "triple dip" process so that's the reason for the delay in shipping the chrome sets out. We're picking up both today though so hopefully we'll have most of the black sets from batch two and all the chrome sets sent out by the end of this week!

/quote]

Don't worry about Max Ryan ... If he could not whine about something he would not be happy ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Don't worry about Max Ryan ... If he could not whine about something he would not be happy ;)

Life is difficult...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline accbiker

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, has anyone installed their cages with Ronnie's Pegs yet.  I did a quick dry fit tonight and the pegs seem to just clear the bars, but I couldn't be sure.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Out of curiosity, has anyone installed their cages with Ronnie's Pegs yet.  I did a quick dry fit tonight and the pegs seem to just clear the bars, but I couldn't be sure.

I was told by Ryan they would, after supplying photos and measurements.  I will be one very unhappy camper if they don't!!

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
I was told by Ryan they would, after supplying photos and measurements.  I will be one very unhappy camper if they don't!!

I sure hope it's the same for the Gen 1 Canyon cage. Other wise like you & will be seriously disappointed.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
We couldn't get our hands on a set of Ronnie's highway pegs in time when we were building the bars so unfortunately we couldn't test their compatibility first hand. However, like maxtog said, we took some rough measurements based on photos and it seems like they'd have no problem working together. As of now we're not 100% sure, though.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
Ryan, thanks! Powder coaster let me know the bars arrived today and will be coated and ready for install late this week. We'll post photos of the finished product.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »

-David
Athens, GA

I put my set on tonight after work and there is plenty of clearance.  Here are a few picts (please excuse the dirty bike and scraps on the lower panel).

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Ryan, thanks! Powder coaster let me know the bars arrived today and will be coated and ready for install late this week. We'll post photos of the finished product.

Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product!

I put my set on tonight after work and there is plenty of clearance.  Here are a few picts (please excuse the dirty bike and scraps on the lower panel).

Thanks for the pics! I'll be sure to save these as proof that the Canyon Cages will work with Ronnies Pegs.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »
Ryan, I sent an email and then several additional emails with photos of my 2009 with the Ronnies Pegs.  It looks as if the lower bar drops down farther as it directs to the rear mounting position.  Could you check out my photos and see if they help with the Gen 1 fitment.  Thanks.